Jomtien Beach: Large force assembles to prevent traders using beach, road and footpaths

webfact

2 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

All sounds simple. But you don t understand Thai vendors. they word occupy ANY public space if think there are punters 

Only way is to have a law and enforce it. Otherwise they ignore 

I'm surprised that they don't try and sell to people caught in the never-ending traffic jams along Beach Road. Like the garland sellers selling to those who bother to stop at a red light.

,,,Fence The Perimeter......?.......Should Have Been Part Of The Overall Plan And Investment.....?...

...They Knew What They Were Dealing With...?...

...A Few Manned Entry Points Are All That Are Needed For Tourists To Have Access...?.....

...and Complete Confiscation Of Violators Goods....?.....

...It Would Be More Permanent....And Set The Tone For Positive Change.....

5 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Commonsense as when buying coconuts on the beach?

Don't go there, you could be cheated !!!!

Yawn.... comments akin to a 3 year old... go troll elsewhere ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

The beach looks beautiful, but empty.  Where would I go to buy a drink, food etc.  When the authorities remade the beach, surely they could have constructed a dedicated strip between the road and the beach for food/drink carts.  The vendors would be kept off the beach and those using the beach would have easy access to food and drink.

Wait a moment!  I'm using common sense here ????

The beach needs to be kept empty, it is the only place where they can hold their muster parades.

Heaven knows what they will do after the next rainstorm when the beach will have been washed away!

It is a remarkable concept though, a paramilitary trading standards department!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

I didn't know there were this many policemen in Jomtien.  Where have they been the rest of the year?

Read the story again they don't basically pull people from department stores, offices to make a show of force.  ????

They widen the beach brought in tons of new sand but it is actually worse in my opinion no one uses it, the water now is too far from the road no where to sit no shade it was better before.  

3 hours ago, Ginner said:

Doing the same in most places. Street traders/roadside snack stalls and street restaurants are disappearing quickly. They're destroying the reason most tourist came to Thailand. The street markets, the road side snack stalls/restaurants and many more.

I agree the street food scene is important to the tourists.  But.... I much prefer how Taiwan handles it.  Still plenty of choices but its much more organised, convenient for walking and also looks much cleaner.

I didn't go to the beach in Taiwan but visited a few of the street food markets in Taipei.

No vendors, and I don't go there. The beauty of Jomtien beach has been that you rent a chair for the day and have all the food and drinks you want by just waving a hand in the air. The perfect relaxation. I have never seen the vendors there as a nuisance.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CLW said:

Once again ridiculous, laughing stock, flip flop, stupid decision.

What is wrong with these people in charge?

Wasn't it two weeks ago when Aseannow reported this beach food market being touted as a new tourist attraction. With possibilities for local people to make some income.

Wonder why people here keep so calm. In other countries they would have chased the officials and burned down the town hall...

There are enough such markets and "attractions already. Vendors can't self-manage as to rubbish removal and general cleanliness. Road congestion - don't forget, Thais like to drive everywhere, walking a few paces is frowned upon. That's why they already destroyed the tranquillity of Dongtan by opening that stretch to traffic, turning it into an exhaust fume polluted parking zone. Na Jomtien beachfront road is a major access to many hotels and residential houses and condos - this will only increase with all the new developments, slowly destroying the old Na Jomtien. The footpath, narrow as it is, is increasingly blocked by carts, all greasy, forcing pedestrians and joggers into the road and passing traffic. Bad town planning, but turning this beach into another food market is a bad option. If you want the dining on the beach experience, drive a little further south and there are great restaurants tucked away und larger trees, away from all vehicular through-traffic.

2 hours ago, Naroge said:

No vendors, and I don't go there. The beauty of Jomtien beach has been that you rent a chair for the day and have all the food and drinks you want by just waving a hand in the air. The perfect relaxation. I have never seen the vendors there as a nuisance.  

You have that all along the beach, 5km of it. Why do you NEED it on the last km as well?

5 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Read the story again they don't basically pull people from department stores, offices to make a show of force.  ????

They widen the beach brought in tons of new sand but it is actually worse in my opinion no one uses it, the water now is too far from the road no where to sit no shade it was better before.  

Better before? Well, there was nothing there before. Road, footpath, a 1.5m drop over some rocks, the tide. End of.

6 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

No more beach chairs? No more beer and a foot massage by the beach? No more visits to Jomtien Beach then.

5kms of that and more. What are you complaining about? Silly comment - we're talking about the last km or so. Will they do the rest of Jomtien beach? No idea, but all your needs are still catered for. So a childish reaction not to visit anymore.

• Like 1

I spend 3 or 4 months a year in Chiang Mai. I used to go to Phuket a few times each year. Then they removed the vendors and loungers and umbrellas from the beach. Looks pretty but no one there. Now when Im in Chiang Mai, I go to Vietnam for a few weeks on beach. There they have loungers, umbrellas, tables, food service and wifi and vendors. Im never going back to Phuket or Pataya

• Like 1

With no shadows, the police were all there at mid day, and we all know how hot it is then.

Where will these police be, in the evenings when the traders are out in force?

Just another photo op for the police I believe.

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Many foreigners do also

IMO street vendors are always welcome as long as they don't obstruct pavements and cause people to go on to busy roads to get past like they used to do on the  soi's between 5 and 11 in lower Sukhumvit Road. They are a good source of income for the Thai people and should not be deprived of it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The traders make the  beach great and help add income to the poorer Thais. Let's hope this authoritarian,  short sighted  nonesense stops soon.

what a great employment opportunity; go round pestering and annoying tourists who just want to realx and enjoy the brand new clean beach before it becomes trash ridden and then washed away during the next big storm.

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

what a great employment opportunity; go round pestering and annoying tourists who just want to realx and enjoy the brand new clean beach before it becomes trash ridden and then washed away during the next big storm.

They aren't talking about hawkers selling rubbish like sunglasses no one wants, they are referring to food and drink which everyone wants

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Second Road is easily wide enough to be two-way,

It had it's problems when it was....... made traffic back up a lot more at the junctions to Klang and Tai. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

It had it's problems when it was....... made traffic back up a lot more at the junctions to Klang and Tai. 

It's priorities, isn't it. A pleasant beach environment against people having to sit in their car in traffic for a few extra minutes.

13 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Thank you for your opinion.  My question & observation was where have these police come from & where have they been all year?

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's priorities, isn't it. A pleasant beach environment against people having to sit in their car in traffic for a few extra minutes.

With traffic levels nowadays it would be far worse.....  making the loop of Beach Rd and 2nd Rd was very beneficial, along with improving the junctions.....

We seem to have taken quite a few backwards steps during Covid (fine during the low traffic of those days).... but it is going to get messy as the huge coaches and minibuses return.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kinyara said:

I'm amazed you don't know how many police there are in Pattaya and Jomtien, you seem to be totally obsessed by them.

I am obsessed with their absence.  Do you know how many police are on roll locally?

6 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I am obsessed with their absence.  Do you know how many police are on roll locally?

I should ask my pal who is a volunteer... but I have been led to believe they are very much under-staffed. That was blamed on the way budget and manpower was allotted to towns and regions, based on the official registered population. 

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

With traffic levels nowadays it would be far worse.....  making the loop of Beach Rd and 2nd Rd was very beneficial, along with improving the junctions.....

We seem to have taken quite a few backwards steps during Covid (fine during the low traffic of those days).... but it is going to get messy as the huge coaches and minibuses return.

It's already a mess on Pattaya Beach Road too much of the time.  You're often down to 1 lane as you have delivery trucks stopped in the left lane of the traffic lanes and cars stopped in the right lane waiting for a parking place.  Parking needs to be eliminated on the beach side like it was before covid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I should ask my pal who is a volunteer... but I have been led to believe they are very much under-staffed. That was blamed on the way budget and manpower was allotted to towns and regions, based on the official registered population. 

I thought there was a waiting list of cops queueing to transfer to the promised land of Pattaya?