Jomtien Beach: Large force assembles to prevent traders using beach, road and footpaths

webfact

Just now, mikebell said:

I thought there was a waiting list of cops queueing to transfer to the promised land of Pattaya?

Yes but the numbers are limited, as is the budget. That would not preclude a queue...... 

That said, surely it could be self funding.

10 hours ago, desert dueller said:

5kms of that and more. What are you complaining about? Silly comment - we're talking about the last km or so. Will they do the rest of Jomtien beach? No idea, but all your needs are still catered for. So a childish reaction not to visit anymore.

Ah, somehow I missed it was only one KM, from the look of the pictures it looked like its the whole beach

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thank you for your opinion.  My question & observation was where have these police come from & where have they been all year?

No problem, there are lots on duty more than we see of course at the front desk,  many are in the back doing serious stuff maybe putting a bag over suspect to gain information then you got the tandem on  motorbike going around collecting membership donations. ????

13 hours ago, desert dueller said:

Better before? Well, there was nothing there before. Road, footpath, a 1.5m drop over some rocks, the tide. End of.

Wrong ! There was a narrower beach almost the whole length apart from the end with rocks 

15 hours ago, desert dueller said:

You have that all along the beach, 5km of it. Why do you NEED it on the last km as well?

Yes, I do. I walk enough in Bangkok. Visiting Jomtien I want to relax and appreciate when the vendors come to me.  If I want to enjoy emptiness, I go to one of the islands instead. Others might prefer it differently.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:49 AM, simon43 said:

The beach looks beautiful, but empty.  Where would I go to buy a drink, food etc.  When the authorities remade the beach, surely they could have constructed a dedicated strip between the road and the beach for food/drink carts.  The vendors would be kept off the beach and those using the beach would have easy access to food and drink.

Wait a moment!  I'm using common sense here ????

The truth that they have shops, and restaurants on the other side of the road.

Only if one could drive to them and/or find a parking spot from the encroaching vendors....

But "common sense" may suggest that anyone should allow to setup shop anywhere without permits ...right? ????

This same class and colour of people are effectively banned from malls too. Apartheid is alive and well in LOS it seems.

Vending and hawking is part of the true Asian  spirit of entrepreneurialism. THE AUTHORITIES SHOULD BE ENCOURAGING IT.

• Haha 1

At night if given a certain area to operate in I don't see the issue.

Give them a time they can enter the beach to set-up and finish.

Each vendor is responsible for the cleanliness after they've gone.

19 hours ago, thailand49 said:

No problem, there are lots on duty more than we see of course at the front desk,  many are in the back doing serious stuff maybe putting a bag over suspect to gain information then you got the tandem on  motorbike going around collecting membership donations. ????

Don't forget to include the dedicated officers taking statements and issuing insurance forms to all the Indian tourists who have been robbed of their gold.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

7Don't forget to include the dedicated officers taking statements and issuing insurance forms to all the Indian tourists who have been robbed of their gold.

Let be fair???? We don't want to come across as bashing but they been told to get out and make all the tourist feel all fuzzy and loved. 

I just a few months back I took my granddaughter regularly to the further end of Jomtien Soi 19 beyond to play. I set up under a shady tree  area could watch her since the water was just a few feet away now trees are gone it is like 1 km away from road. 

These food vendors are part of the landscape is how many survive and earn a living you would think Thai official would recognize that and do a better job of planning based on the south call improvement instead of all the sand there is more than enough room to have extended the sidewalk path further out so vendors could set up and not block the narrow bench road and of course get some damn garbage bins one. 

Now due to all the negatives I take them all down the road to Bang Saray where there is plenty of shade where it is people friendly. 

Edited by thailand49

On 6/28/2022 at 2:15 PM, Guderian said:

image.jpeg.6f1c86ad01115b28b819d3b9b0bd6

I don't think I've ever seen so many different uniforms. Are some of these people cleaners at the local cop shop, or staff in the nearest convenience store? Is this ragtag assembly really the best they could come up with? No wonder they get so little respect.

Maybe these are the ones who failed the test to be cleaners?

I've only been to Jomtien beach once for New Year 2016/17. I don't know where this part of the beach is but we stayed at the Royal Heritage Pavilion. We did walk along the beach a little but it seemed then that there wasn't much left to walk on, just a small strip before the sea. It just looked as if the balance wasn't really right but then maybe that's just me. My wife seemed to be of the same opinion. You need street traders and they need to work but without some regulation you're going to have problems. The trouble is regulations are a difficult issue here on both sides of their enforcement.

I have to say that beach looks good though especially for a boring old fart like me.