What's the Average Age Here?

Neeranam

217 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

In Facebook one can have an open discussion without being banned unlike this forum which seem to cater more to bashing Thais, Indian, and Chinese over any criticism of farangs. 

If that the case, maybe you can explain why you are allowed to call white folk by a Thai racial slur, but not allowed to call the other nationalities you mentioned by equivalent racial slurs? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

In Facebook one can have an open discussion without being banned unlike this forum which seem to cater more to bashing Thais, Indian, and Chinese over any criticism of farangs. 

I think you comment is a bit unfair in respect of the mods on AN. I'm very anti Thai bashing and if I report a Thai bashing post it is nearly always removed. But the mods can't be everywhere at once, so a bit of 'community policing' does help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

This forum has always been for retired men with pensions.

No, I was in my 40s, working in SE Asia and living in Thailand, when I joined this forum, I'm now in my 60s, semi-retired and living in Thailand. I think much of the membership has aged along with the forum. This format of social media is well past its prime, the forum is lacking in younger members precisely because of that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

So you were born in 1997 were you? Now that IS a surprise!

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Even says I'm very mature ... got that one wrong.

I think it's time you went back and put your correct age in. ????

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Arrive TH at 45 yrs old, 67 now.  Found TV long time ago, and hated it, as extreme Thai bashing and mob rule.

Sadly, that aspect hasn't really changed, but more members, and more interesting topics since revamped, sometimes informative threads make up for it.

EVs & Solar mainly are an interest, along with home DIY & farming life info.  Some travel tips helps, but not much here of that.

Agree, censorship can be OTT at times, but as a business site, obviously their right.  Limits any real diverse opinions or real debate, but it is what it is.

We joined voluntarily, so can't really complain.  Back to using the ignore function, and helps a lot.  

it's like panning for gold in here sometimes isn't it mate? ????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This forum has always been for retired men with pensions.

And a few younger teachers scrabbling around for enough money to stay here.

As far as I can see nothing has changed.

Not true, lots of younger guys around 2004/5.  Many pensioners were not computer savvy then. 

Please tell me how to earn money by posting here! 

42 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

First came to Thailand in 1960 aged 20. Lived here permanently since 1983, apart from a spell of 6 years living and working in Taiwan. I would make only one observation, the nightlife was incomparably better/more fun in the 70s and 80s than anytime since. That is a fact, not an old man's rose-tinted memory. The relationship between foreigners and Thais was far friendlier in those days.

Do you do much nightlife these days?

I agree that it seemed better in the past, I came here in 1992. 

It was a different type of foreigner then more adventurous, before ThaiLustLines  and the like started that attracted many retired accountants and butchers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thujone said:

I'm extremely happy I was young years ago.

Makes it worth being an old fart now.

As for my average age?

I can't remember...

I would have liked to have been a teenager in the 60s, peace and love and all that hippy <deleted>. 

Is anyone really offended by the word sh*te?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gaccha said:

You are showing your age. Facebook is notoriously Boomer. The Zoomers want nothing to do with it, as it lets their Gen X Mom monitor their activities. It's in decline. They are on TikTok and Instagram "nowadays".

I did say other social media. I have teenage kids, I know what youngsters like. 

9 hours ago, sipi said:

Almost retired. I can't believe I've lasted this long. Touch wood.

AS an alkie that drank 2 bottles of Sang Thip a day(large ones), I am amazed I made it to 50. Many said I would be dead by 30.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

I am under the impression lots of this forum's users are boomers/pensioners, which at least partially explains my divergences of opinion with them (I am in my early 40's). They lived their most productive years in times of prosperity and were able to accumulate wealth and succeed in ways which are impossible nowadays.

This is a macro-level observation and nobody should take it personally. My own dad (who falls into the category described above) agrees with me and says he could not have done half the things he did if he was my age.

Don't take this personally but it sounds  like a good excuse for failure and non achievement.

Boomer is an American thing. In most of the UK we had poverty, unemployment and even in the early  70s bomb sites from  WW2 were common. The only thing that helped us survive the miserable 60s and  70s was music and drugs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sipi said:

AS an alkie that drank 2 bottles of Sang Thip a day(large ones), I am amazed I made it to 50. Many said I would be dead by 30.

9 hours ago, sipi said:

6 more months for me. Then I will have to cancel my slection of 50s and move to 60s. Hit that big milestone or is that millstone in December.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

How many of us get up from their pc , walk off then can't remember what for.

I'm only 59 and doing that. Turn on my laptop to search for something and then can't remember what I was going to search for. 2 or 3 hours later I recall what it was and do the search. Called my dad the other day and mentioned it. He laughed and said that's normal. What he forgets is that he's nearly 91.    

• Like 2