Best way to buy GBP cash?

On 6/29/2022 at 3:10 PM, JayClay said:

In the UK? Last time I was there I found I found places that accepted card or cash, I found places that only accepted card, but I never came across anywhere that only accepted cash

Two penny slots

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 7:43 PM, OJAS said:

Is there any specific reason why you need cash? Contactless is now the way to go in making even small payments in Blighty these days (which I can vouch for on the basis of very recent personal experience). So if you already have a card with the symbol illustrated below that should be sufficient, I would have thought.

However if you really do need cash then I have a £10 note which I'd be prepared to swap for a 1,000 THB one!????

image.png.321c13c9e35f36205e14e17f562cd34c.png

If you use a non GBP card you’d be facing forex charges every time you use it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Oh yes. What a brilliant rip off scam that is. Fell into that trap myself at Heathrow Airport. It was 9.00 pm but to get on a bus to our hotel we each had to buy an Oyster card for 7.50 pounds each to make a bus journey the fare of which was only 1.50 each.

But you get the 7.50 back when you turn the card in

On 6/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, treetops said:

I suspect he means to use a Thai bank account using contactless payments but the charges for this would far exceed any charges for changing money so probably not a good idea.

There are also still places insist on cash.

There are an increasing number of places who will NOT accept cash.

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Basement? very unlikely on the same day, of course later that day or next day rates change, can easily swing 1% anytime

Yes in the basement. When you use the app you can see the main branch rates so it was easy to make the comparison. It’s also different at the BTS branches

On 6/29/2022 at 7:43 PM, OJAS said:

Is there any specific reason why you need cash? Contactless is now the way to go in making even small payments in Blighty these days (which I can vouch for on the basis of very recent personal experience). So if you already have a card with the symbol illustrated below that should be sufficient, I would have thought.

However if you really do need cash then I have a £10 note which I'd be prepared to swap for a 1,000 THB one!????

image.png.321c13c9e35f36205e14e17f562cd34c.png

However if you really do need cash then I have a £10 note which I'd be prepared to swap for a 1,000 THB one....That's a VERY Generous Exchange Rate,( Sarcasm ) But Genuinely I Do have 300 GBP in Pristine Condition 6 x 50 Pound Notes Although they are the Paper ones & NOT the New Plastic ones.....Just Make me a SENSIBLE Offer I Will surely GIVE You a Better rate than ANY U.K. Bank....

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Denim said:

Oh yes. What a brilliant rip off scam that is. Fell into that trap myself at Heathrow Airport. It was 9.00 pm but to get on a bus to our hotel we each had to buy an Oyster card for 7.50 pounds each to make a bus journey the fare of which was only 1.50 each.

If You had booked in a Half Decent Hotel They WOULD'VE Had a FREE Shuttle Bus to take you there FREE ! FREE ! MOST if Not ALL Hotels around LHR Provide this FREE Service to they're Guest's !!!!

18 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

However if you really do need cash then I have a £10 note which I'd be prepared to swap for a 1,000 THB one....That's a VERY Generous Exchange Rate,( Sarcasm ) But Genuinely I Do have 300 GBP in Pristine Condition 6 x 50 Pound Notes.....Just Make me a SENSIBLE Offer I Will surely GIVE You a Better rate than ANY U.K. Bank....

By way of benchmark these are the rates quoted by TT Exchange:-

CURRENCY DESCRIPTION BUYING RATE SELLING RATE
currency flag

USD(L)

100-50 35.71 36.30
currency flag

USD(M)

20-5 35.31 36.30
currency flag

USD(S)

2-1 34.71 36.30
currency flag

EUR(L)

500 36.30 36.90
currency flag

EUR(M)

200-100 36.30 36.90
currency flag

EUR(S)

50-5 36.30 36.90
currency flag

GBP(L)

50 42.90 43.45
currency flag

GBP(S)

20-5 42.90 43.45

53 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

If You had booked in a Half Decent Hotel They WOULD'VE Had a FREE Shuttle Bus to take you there FREE ! FREE ! MOST if Not ALL Hotels around LHR Provide this FREE Service to they're Guest's !!!!

On this occasion we were staying 7 miles from the airport in a hotel in our old home town to visit friends and collect a car for our holiday.

Normally we stay at the Hyatt Heathrow Hotel which is a 4 star hotel but provides no shuttle bus to guests. It is however served by the regular red buses which are free around the airport perimeter.

But thankyou for your valuable input. Much appreciated by everyone I'm sure.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:02 AM, Denim said:

No , you did not buy an Oyster card for 7.50 GBP , you paid a 5 GBP deposit for the Oyster card (Which is refunded when the card is surrendered ) and you paid 2.50 in fares to top up the Oyster cards .

You can also pay fares using  UK ATM cards .

Its not a rip off scam .

On 7/9/2022 at 12:17 PM, Denim said:

On this occasion we were staying 7 miles from the airport in a hotel in our old home town to visit friends and collect a car for our holiday.

Normally we stay at the Hyatt Heathrow Hotel which is a 4 star hotel but provides no shuttle bus to guests. It is however served by the regular red buses which are free around the airport perimeter.

But thankyou for your valuable input. Much appreciated by everyone I'm sure.

But thankyou for your valuable input. Much appreciated by everyone I'm sure.....Just Trying to Help,Don't YOU Know that Sarcasm is the LOWEST Form of Wit ??

On 7/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

If You had booked in a Half Decent Hotel

On 7/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

.That's a VERY Generous Exchange Rate,( Sarcasm )

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Don't YOU Know that Sarcasm is the LOWEST Form of Wit ??

????