Is it: Just Another Manic SUNDAY?… What are you having for breakfast? What, no Haggis?

Dear Friends,

As usual, on Sunday mornings, I try to post something both educational and uplifting to be shared among your morning comrades at breakfast time.

This Sunday, I am posting something tangentially related to Lovelock and his Gaia hypothesis, as well as a very nice short video from Tim Lenton, a man who truly has the gift of gab, for sure. Tim Lenton could talk anyone down off the ledge.

I have been following Tim on the Internet, meaning his lectures, for quite some time. And, I like his views just as much as I love his brain, not to mention his scholarly humility.

This Sunday, there is no need to get into the Gaia hypothesis, except to say that Tim Lenton is a student of Lovelock.

Instead, I propose that, over breakfast, some of you who may be willing, take a look at this interesting video recorded at The Royal Society:

It is not imperative that you understand the science behind this presentation of Lenton so much as it might be quite interesting for you to listen to his pattern of speech, I mean his diction, which is to say, his choice of words.  Quite beautiful and effortless, I think.  Only somebody from the UK, with a good mastery of English, could speak off the cuff with such erudition and aplomb.  I am sure you will agree.

Therefore, I suggest this video to you, over your Sunday breakfast, as the best way to start your day.

I will not say more here.

I will not try to explain why I chose this video.

Except to admit that I like Tim, quite much!

Why do I like Tim?

Well, for one thing, he creates some very interesting videos from his bedroom, and he creates them after having devoted years of thought.  And, the thing I like about his bedroom is that, from my perspective here watching YouTube, he has acquired some very choice pieces of furniture. As well, his bedroom is kept simple, even so simple that one might think that Tim has become a “monk” of Science, and that he chooses to live a scientifically monastic existence, and in beautiful simplicity.

However, maybe not so simple is he, because, it seems to me that the armoire in his bedroom must be a piece of some value, not to mention a few other items of furniture, though still few.

In this second video, you can gain a glimpse of Tim’s subtle good taste.  He is not flashy. He is a man of letters, and the epitome of what all young scholars should attempt to achieve, in my humble opinion.

Honestly speaking:

Lenton seems to have devoted his life to the study of important things, just for the fun of it.

He seems, obviously, to be an excellent teacher.

He adds a bit of humor to even the most dreary and disheartening of topics, the collapse of human civilization due to rapid change in our environment, and, especially, "Tipping Points".

There are many more reasons to like Lenton, even though he may never garner the Nobel.

My suggestion is that you watch Tim’s video this Sunday morning and cogitate a bit concerning what is really important in our lives.  Maybe Tim's subtle humor will help you to improve your spoken English, for example.

This is my sermon to you, this fine Sunday morning.

Best regards,

Gamma

Please note:  Just for any students who might be reading these words, then please take a look at Tim’s spartan bedroom enhanced with some quite beautiful furniture.  Perhaps, some day, if you get a decent education, you can teach at Exeter University, and buy a  few exquisite pieces, as well.  Good luck in this endeavor…It will not be so easy, me thinks.

A few sticks of furniture, a bookcase, a wall with a painting not yet framed?

What more could you wish for, really?

And, this question is not asked facetiously.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Minimalism is something I have embraced as well.

Breakfast will be soft-boiled eggs and coffee, as I have just had a back molar extracted.

My tastiest attempt at pureed food thus far has been cabbage, cauliflower, tasty cheese, black olives and avocado.

Hmm ... breakfast, if going with 3 meals a day, then between 

0600 - 0800, it's simply a large cup of coffee.  

Just delivered, thank you honey ????

1st meal isn't until after a walk at the park or surf w/dog, 

about noon, which is usually bowl of cereal, corn flakes & raisins.

Past few weeks, adding oats and oats+, for added fiber, but TBH not really loving it, or noticing any extra fiber advantage.

Actually been eating 'breakfast' for dinner past few days, Steak & eggs, and a couple egg/ham/pepperoni/cheese sandwiches, as simply using up before turning.  Actually bored of those, thankfully done with.

A traditional eggs/potatoes/meat/toast meal is actually more common for dinner for me, then 1st meal of the day.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Bacon sandwich with HP sauce and a mug of Typhoo tea for me.

The kids are eating bowls of Coco Crunch with milk.

IMG_20220703_075455.jpg

Just back from UK with a few kilos of Tesco Thick Sliced Smoked Bacon, HP Sauce and Taylor's Breakfast tea. I shall join you sir.

My grandson is on Shreddies.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It is not imperative that you understand the science behind this presentation

Climate Science is more religion than science IMHO ......

1. You need to believe and have faith.

2. You must follow the instructions of your leaders (send money).

3. Death to all heretics!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's missing an egg.

Of course ! I would say even two are missing.

Eggs are the cornerstone for me - 2 fried, 2 fried on buttered bread, 2 fried on buttered bread with italian crude ham beneath (all with Ketchup) or the maximum: Eggs Benedict with Sauce Hollandaise

Then a cup (or two) of coffee (Nespresso, either Nicaragua or Cosi)

And of course a glass of an ice cold drink on ice. Pepsi Lemon without sugar or San Pellegrino with peach taste for example.

So far for the standard.

This may then be further enhanced by adding two Wiener Saussages with Thomy mustard and Bacon middle hard. On a breakfast buffet in a hotel it must be accompanied by Corn Flakes with Milk and sugar plus Miso Soup if they have it. Plus some curry. And Orange or Guava Juice.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Climate Science is more religion than science IMHO ......

1. You need to believe and have faith.

2. You must follow the instructions of your leaders (send money).

3. Death to all heretics!

It's so much easier to be a denier of climate science, the attention span required is minimal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bacon & homemade garlic french bread - which turned into a sandwich.....Two eggs over hard - broken yolks....Sliced avocado, cucumber, & lettuce with dressing/dips.....

<Shared some cucumber slices with the cats>.....

A big glass of no fat milk.....The wife had coffee.....

Edit/note = no idea why the bold keeps showing up....

Edited by pgrahmm

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Breakfast?

A glass of water with one tablespoon apple cider vinegar and some Himalayan sea salt.

Mug of strong black coffee.

The ACV needs time (hour) before adding on.....

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's so much easier to be a denier of climate science, the attention span required is minimal.

If you believe, what have you personally done to alleviate climate change?

I don't believe, but I generate most of my household electricity (I also grow trees).

I suspect as a denier, I do more than most believers.

The believers are all hot air and no action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Breakfast?

A glass of water with one tablespoon apple cider vinegar and some Himalayan sea salt.

This is indeed supposed to be healthy if you dont overdo it. Not so sure about a mug of coffee (depends on the size maybe).

So you enjoy your Haggis for dinner then ? To live you need food or do you live on pure cosmic energy alone ?

My biggest meal is dinner. I have no fixed times for eating, I eat when I am hungry and then plenty.

10 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Looks good. I wonder what these round slices at the top of the plate are. But no butter or mustard ?

Mushrooms, HP brown sauce and butter added after.

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1

Only 2 small cups of freshly grounded coffee. I don't eat breakfast, but my Doctor (cardiologist) advised me to eat some (unsweetened) Yolida yogurt in the morning as well, but I have tried and I just can't eat anything after I have woken up!

So only coffee it is!

Note - I intermittent fast.....So breakfast is about 0900 & the 2nd/last meal of the day is at about 1400.....

Once used to it, 2 meals a day works out well....

Some days, it's 1 meal - but depends on how the day rolls along, not usually planned.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Mushrooms, HP brown sauce and butter added after.

Passed. HP Sauce seems to be widely used in all kinds of flavours as I have seen in the supermarkets. Never tried any of those.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Breakfast?

I agree with Apple Cider Vinegar added with water I drink that also often during the day / that or green tea.

IMHO the Himalayan sea salt I don't see the benefits as it's chemically similar to table salt. It contains up to 98 percent sodium chloride, and the less salt you take the better it is. (Again IMHO)

I personally only drink 2 small cups of freshly grounded coffee for breakfast and that is it.

12 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I agree with Apple Cider Vinegar added with water I drink that also often during the day / that or green tea.

IMHO the Himalayan sea salt I don't see the benefits as it's chemically similar to table salt. It contains up to 98 percent sodium chloride, and the less salt you take the better it is. (Again IMHO)

I personally only drink 2 small cups of freshly grounded coffee for breakfast and that is it.

The little bit of salt is for electrolytes as its a skipped meal.

With salt you don't want too much or too little.

With Haggis you want never.

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Note - I intermittent fast.....

Same here, as 1st meal @ 1200 noon-ish, last very lite munch before 2100 hrs.  Can't sleep on an empty stomach.  Main meal between 1700-1900 hrs

Give me about 15 hrs, 6-8 hr while sleeping.  Large coffee at sunrise - ish, holds me over till noon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Sometimes I substitute lemon juice for ACV.....At other times I will add it in with the ACV.....

I can't say I enjoy the taste of any of them, single or combo ....

I don't like bitter things - so I don't drink coffee either.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

fried spuds......brown sauce

I don't know that you can have fried spuds for breakfast ?   at night for dinner seems fine, but for breakfast it should be eggs & bacon .. not potato's.    and what is brown sauce ?   you mean BBQ sauce such as smokey bbq sauce 109 baht at foodland ... or do you mean Worcestershire sauce  ???

• Confused 1