Private sector wants Thailand to import Russian oil to combat high fuel prices

webfact

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand should buy oil and gas from Russia and Iran to tackle rising energy prices, a representative of the private sector said on Monday.

That may not be such a good idea if you want to stay pals with the EU.

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Russia has its own bank converting customers fx into Roubles into which the EU has already approved in a fudge enabling it to continue buying Russian gas. It’s not an issue.

It’s a temporary solution until the ruble or BRICS currency payment system is designed and implemented.

21 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Thailand and Russia are negotiating to implement MIR payment system that will help Thailand get precious rubles from tourists that Thailand can use to pay for cheap oil. There is also an agreement between these countries to increase mutual trade 10x. Thailand will export to Russia much more than it does now to acquire rubles it will need to pay for energy.

Source?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I would assume most Thais would be happy to see the price of oil gas ect come down in Price no matter where it came from ????

Most would not know where the Ukraine is and would not be to concerned what is going on there ????

And quite a few think that Ukraine must have prodded the Russian Bear and brought it on themselves!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Don't care where the oil comes from, but can't see the petrol suppliers passing 'their' savings on to the end consumer / us.  Just more profit for them.

There is no 'oil crisis' now, just a gouging crisis ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

It’s a temporary solution until the ruble or BRICS currency payment system is designed and implemented.

What is your understanding of what "BRICS currency payment system " is ? There are already plenty of worldwide payment systems and Russia’s own bank for those that want to pay them for oil 

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't care where the oil comes from, but can't see the petrol suppliers passing 'their' savings on to the end consumer / us.  Just more profit for them.

There is no 'oil crisis' now, just a gouging crisis ????

Do you know how many $ billions both Shell and BP have had to write down on their Russian holdings within Rosneft etc. ? …or even what they are ? What of the billions lost when oil price even went negative during reduced demand during pandemic? Maybe some wider reading of oil industry economics /volatility for a greater understanding? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

What is your understanding of what "BRICS currency payment system " is ? There are already plenty of worldwide payment systems and Russia’s own bank for those that want to pay them for oil 

It’s not my personal understanding. BRICS is working on a common trade currency for its member countries, this was declared a few days ago after the BRICS summit. No further details were provided but the goal clearly is to opt out of the dollar system.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:
On 7/4/2022 at 12:41 PM, webfact said:

Thailand should buy oil and gas from Russia and Iran to tackle rising energy prices, a representative of the private sector said on Monday.

Really? How much Russian energy is the EU buying each day ? Clue,it starts with a "B" in dollars…

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, zzaa09 said:
On 7/4/2022 at 1:25 PM, Denim said:

Thailand's moral compass spinning around all over the place as usual.

As opposed to the Anglophone dominant paradigm which doesn't find it necessary validate any such moral compass. 

Any spoken language should not normally need to validate the wrongs of an invading murderous thug?

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Considering that many EU countries are still being supplied from Russia, for them to withdraw their 'friendship' with LOS for doing the same would appear churlish!

On 7/4/2022 at 2:00 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Would it be really so bad if Thailand imports relative cheap gas and oil from Russia?

I am sure many Thais would be happy if the gasoline prices would decrease.

And would Russia stop the war even if nobody would buy their oil and gas anymore?

I think it's easy to say: Don't buy anything from the Russians, they are the bad guys.

But then, how about Saudi Arabia? Are those the good guys? Shoud we buy from them?

And how about China?

I am sure we can find a lot of reasons why we shouldn't do any business with lots of countries.

Maybe we should also ban all tourists from those countries.

But then again I am sure many countries will also find reasons why they shouldn't do any business with Thailand or Thai people.

It's easy to say: No, we don't collaborate with the bad guys.

But in real life there is not only black and white and the good and the bad guys.

Personally I find reasons pro and contra doing business with Russia. At the end of the day I think the question is: What is better for the majority of Thai people? And will all those people who suffer in Thailand from high gasoline prices be happy to pay more to show the bad guys that they shouldn't go to war? I have my doubts. 

I would be happy to see the prices down as before... all our lifes are going worst from all this... and finally even US are buying the Indian gas that India buy from Russia...so F*** it ...!!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 1:10 PM, tomyami said:

India, china and Indonesia do so why not thailand so they can be as competitive its what the germans have being doing all along

Sanctions on oil and gas are hurting the west because they where brought off by gas prom especially the germans who cosied up to russia

I support Ukraine but the longer the war goes on russia is winning.

The barbarity and genocide of the russian invasion needs protection from NATO a no fly zone they are fighting multiple countries inc belarussia and chechnya.

The bombing of the shopping mall had to be a red line it was terrorism not war.

High five bar in soi chychipun in pattaya is russian owned not busy anymore as the word is out

Think of how much worse the shopping mall death toll would have been if it hadn't been closed down in 2014. There might have been people killed in there instead of in the arms depot next door.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DaiHard said:

Think of how much worse the shopping mall death toll would have been if it hadn't been closed down in 2014. There might have been people killed in there instead of in the arms depot next door.

Except it was open and more than 18 shoppers killed by a direct cruise missile strike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, AnotherFarang8 said:

Thailand and Russia are negotiating to implement MIR payment system that will help Thailand get precious rubles from tourists that Thailand can use to pay for cheap oil. There is also an agreement between these countries to increase mutual trade 10x. Thailand will export to Russia much more than it does now to acquire rubles it will need to pay for energy.

Or it can pay in Thai baht. Only countries that are sanctioning Russia have to pay in Rubles.

Or it can pay in Thai baht. Only countries that are sanctioning Russia have to pay in Rubles.

3 hours ago, zenobit said:

"…Private sector wants Thailand to import Russian oil to combat high fuel prices…"

BRAVO!!! Apparently Thailand doesn't want to follow the hypocritical path of "Western values". ????

Good.

Then let the private sector buy the oil themselves and resell it to the Thai government. That way they can make more profits for themselves and catch any losses without costing the government (the taxpayers) 1 satang,

On 7/4/2022 at 12:08 PM, theoldgit said:

A number of countries are bolstering Putins war chest by buying his cheap oil, India, Mexico, China and Israel, to name but a few.

I heard that the Chinese were in town yesterday, so I am sure they will be happy to "mediate" in the name of international stability.

Pffffffff, the EU bought totally up to a billion euro's on gas from Russia, with sanctions running.

Thailand doesnt have to feel guilty. <deleted> the EU and or USA. Just all nothing but dictators.

Fact is, the world is controlled by "leaders" totally not worthy to do so and it has always been. You kill a Chinese emperor and you have Mao. You kill Tsaar in Russia and youll have Stalin. You kill French, German, Spanish ( ok not really killing) royalties and you get other dodo's which are the same or even worse.

Wait for the AGI and humans are gone.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, fair enough.

Should Thailand only stand against Russia?

How about Saudi Arabia, or maybe China? Should Thailand support them?

And should Thailand have stopped buying anything from the USA when they illegally invaded Iraq?

I really would like to hear your opinion about these questions.

As it happens I did not agree with any of the incidents you mentioned and I have been quite vociferous about them for many years but I am but a small voice in a large world, However the situation changed when Putin attacked the Ukraine and committed genocide on innocent civilians and children.

The world is in agreement that the actions of Putin and his generals is entirely unacceptable in the 21st century.

The one upbeat item in all of this is that suddenly the world has woken up to the potential dangers apparent by the likes of Russia, North Korea and China.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

As it happens I did not agree with any of the incidents you mentioned and I have been quite vociferous about them for many years but I am but a small voice in a large world, However the situation changed when Putin attacked the Ukraine and committed genocide on innocent civilians and children.

The world is in agreement that the actions of Putin and his generals is entirely unacceptable in the 21st century.

The one upbeat item in all of this is that suddenly the world has woken up to the potential dangers apparent by the likes of Russia, North Korea and China.

Now it is Russia, but once you had USA invading Vietnam killing, slaughtering for 20 years, just because the system was "communism" . No one ever cried, was just normal. Everyone crying over Ukraine now, but in Yemen there is a war going on already for 8 years. You dont hear much about that and the people over there are way more in a bad position. But not so important to have it in news everyday.

No, it's Putin and they all hate him, thanks to indoctrination of USA, as it is still "communism". Wait a while and then China starts with Taiwan. Will be the next round in absurdities of "leaders". Or Afghanistan will be back? Syria? Belarus?   

Can go on and on, there are so many things that hit the fan.

Fact is , there are too many people on this earth, we have to cut back.

• Confused 1