Tourist Visa In Phnom Phen?

hi all,

i have had three continuous visa exemptions in my passport (total of 90 days) and will now have to get a proper tourist visa again (only kind of visa i can legally get). unfortunately i could only get the thirty days entry stamp at the pedang basar border last time as i am still waiting for my new passport (should hopefully get it this week) and there was not a full page left in my old passport. to make sure i would not be denied entry back into thailand i bought a cheap oneway ticket to phnom phen to prove i would be leaving thailand again within thirty days. nobody at immigration, however, was interested in my onward ticket.

is it worth the effort to knock on the thai embassy's door in phnom phen and apply for a tourist visa there??? no, i am not a cambodian national or resident.

or, having heard only BAD stories about that embassy, would it be wiser to postpone my flight to phnom phen (if possible? and try it in another three months maybe) and take a bus to vientiane instead? never had any problems with the thai embassy there, takes only one working day until you get your visa, no stupid questions.

OR could it make a difference in phnom phen that i would be travelling with a brandnew passport with no other stamps in it than my last entry stamp (transferred into it by local immigration in advance)???

big thanks. i will have to make my decision soon.

you can COUNT on problems and a multi day wait in Cambodia before (hopefully) getting your Tourist Visa and told not to return to that embassy to request another visa in the future.

hi all,

i have had three continuous visa exemptions in my passport (total of 90 days) and will now have to get a proper tourist visa again (only kind of visa i can legally get). unfortunately i could only get the thirty days entry stamp at the pedang basar border last time as i am still waiting for my new passport (should hopefully get it this week) and there was not a full page left in my old passport. to make sure i would not be denied entry back into thailand i bought a cheap oneway ticket to phnom phen to prove i would be leaving thailand again within thirty days. nobody at immigration, however, was interested in my onward ticket.

is it worth the effort to knock on the thai embassy's door in phnom phen and apply for a tourist visa there??? no, i am not a cambodian national or resident.

or, having heard only BAD stories about that embassy, would it be wiser to postpone my flight to phnom phen (if possible? and try it in another three months maybe) and take a bus to vientiane instead? never had any problems with the thai embassy there, takes only one working day until you get your visa, no stupid questions.

OR could it make a difference in phnom phen that i would be travelling with a brandnew passport with no other stamps in it than my last entry stamp (transferred into it by local immigration in advance)???

Just a question...... Is it possible since he will have a new passport that he could enter and recieve a visa exempt stamp again since there will be no record in his new passport of the prior entries?

hi all,

Just a question...... Is it possible since he will have a new passport that he could enter and recieve a visa exempt stamp again since there will be no record in his new passport of the prior entries?

No

edit ... ok it is "possible" that the new passport and the 'transferred' entry stamp will NOT be annotated with his former passport number! and it is possible that when the immigration officer enters the man's details he will NOT notice the one stamp that corresponds with the same name and age and place of birth ... etc ....

so possible? sure ... 99% unlikely though

Edited by jdinasia

Indeed there are many bad stories about Phnom Penh. But I do think you have a chance to get a tourist visa though. preferable not PP ofcourse ,and likely they will notice you to never come back to ask for a tourist visa again .But after some persuation ,like some other posters before mentioned , you can get one .The other one I remember who did not get it was given the reason that he had to many stamps in his passport ,which you not have .....Still I would not count on getting it . But you could try .

Vietnam is not far from there ,you always could make a border hop and get the one in Vietnam .

I assume they are more easy over there ,other members can get you this info .

Good travel no matter what , and good luck .

No

edit ... ok it is "possible" that the new passport and the 'transferred' entry stamp will NOT be annotated with his former passport number! and it is possible that when the immigration officer enters the man's details he will NOT notice the one stamp that corresponds with the same name and age and place of birth ... etc ....

so possible? sure ... 99% unlikely though

Of course. That was a stupid question.

Indeed there are many bad stories about Phnom Penh. But I do think you have a chance to get a tourist visa though. preferable not PP ofcourse ,and likely they will notice you to never come back to ask for a tourist visa again .But after some persuation ,like some other posters before mentioned , you can get one .The other one I remember who did not get it was given the reason that he had to many stamps in his passport ,which you not have .....Still I would not count on getting it . But you could try .

Vietnam is not far from there ,you always could make a border hop and get the one in Vietnam .

I assume they are more easy over there ,other members can get you this info .

Good travel no matter what , and good luck .

I can tell you that I recieved a 2 month Tourist Visa in Hanoi about 2 weeks ago. For me, an American citizen, it was very simple and fast. If you show up at the embassy, located at 65 Pho Hoang Dieu, before noon with your passport, ticket INTO Thailand, and 30 USD, you can often get your passport with visa returned by 4:30 the same day. The day I went, there was no one else in the embassy. A friend of mine went on a busier day and didn't get his passport back until the next day. Of course, you will have to get a visa to travel to Vietnam. I got one of those in Phnom Penh about 2 years ago from a travel agent and it only took a couple of hours. I can't remember the price though. There are also easy to get in Bangkok from most travel agents. Last time I went to the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok it was VERY crowded and I waited from after lunch until they closed and didn't get to speak with anyone. It was a Friday. Good luck.