Thai Anti Farang Topic...

PaulUSA302

I am still waiting for you to explain why you said only a few Thai would want to be seen with me in public???
So, it's thread about nothing....

100% about nothing .....

but right now I am busy doing the "4 weeks" math ......

ok ... got it if Paul has been coming for 91 years he's about even with me :o (that is if he speaks Thai and is literate :D )

Paul ... scroll up and see where I said 'a few' and really unless you can use the standard posting format ... we are done :D Can't be bothered to read your reply ... THEN have to figure out what you are replying to :D

But let me clear up 'a few' for you.

Given your limited experience in Thailand (based upon your other threads and posts as well as your meeting people from the internet). You may not know (oh wait .. this topic is about this .. so maybe you do!) that there is a tish of xenophobia in Thailand (the forigner thing you started this thread with). There is also a matter of public decorum and perception. These things limit the number of people you meet. Other limiting factors are ages of the people involved and social class. While this particular instance (you) is NOT about race, skin tone is a factor in percieved social status in Thailand. (and if you think it is not ... even amongst Thai people themselves .. there is no point in continueing yet again!)

So Paul ... given all that ... do you think your internet friends are truly representational of Thai people as a whole? Do you think that they do not keep in mind who they are talking to?

This thread suggests that your friends not only write (far more common) but speak English with some level of fluency. Do you think that is common?

Add it all together and start from 10% and work down ... and you get a small small fraction. It may not seem that way to you since your other posts/threads seem to put you in tourist areas mostly, but really .... the percentages are low.

Now ... what does that equate to in numbers? Ugh ... hard to even come up with a way to SHOW you what the numbers would be ....but you can try the math any way you want it ... you'll come up around 1% or less I would think. Those will be a priveledged group (like the intern in a story you told above) and NOT part of the masses.

got it?

remember ... reply BELOW the material you quote :D

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHA! You said a lot but you spoke volumes..... Your trying to create a profile on me and my friends by short posts on a board? Then you tell me that only a few Thai would want to be seen with me in public? Well I will make a generalization also.. I know your type and I choose to keep my distance from your type. :o

I am still waiting for you to explain why you said only a few Thai would want to be seen with me in public???
So, it's thread about nothing....

100% about nothing .....

but right now I am busy doing the "4 weeks" math ......

ok ... got it if Paul has been coming for 91 years he's about even with me :D (that is if he speaks Thai and is literate :D )

Paul ... scroll up and see where I said 'a few' and really unless you can use the standard posting format ... we are done :D Can't be bothered to read your reply ... THEN have to figure out what you are replying to :D

But let me clear up 'a few' for you.

Given your limited experience in Thailand (based upon your other threads and posts as well as your meeting people from the internet). You may not know (oh wait .. this topic is about this .. so maybe you do!) that there is a tish of xenophobia in Thailand (the forigner thing you started this thread with). There is also a matter of public decorum and perception. These things limit the number of people you meet. Other limiting factors are ages of the people involved and social class. While this particular instance (you) is NOT about race, skin tone is a factor in percieved social status in Thailand. (and if you think it is not ... even amongst Thai people themselves .. there is no point in continueing yet again!)

So Paul ... given all that ... do you think your internet friends are truly representational of Thai people as a whole? Do you think that they do not keep in mind who they are talking to?

This thread suggests that your friends not only write (far more common) but speak English with some level of fluency. Do you think that is common?

Add it all together and start from 10% and work down ... and you get a small small fraction. It may not seem that way to you since your other posts/threads seem to put you in tourist areas mostly, but really .... the percentages are low.

Now ... what does that equate to in numbers? Ugh ... hard to even come up with a way to SHOW you what the numbers would be ....but you can try the math any way you want it ... you'll come up around 1% or less I would think. Those will be a priveledged group (like the intern in a story you told above) and NOT part of the masses.

got it?

remember ... reply BELOW the material you quote :bah:

Stop the bickering please.

finally read the holiday thread ... I won't be bothering to reply again! :D Reality is what it is ... and well some folks seem not to have been close to it in ages :o

You know the whole topic about farang flashing money, about how some farang look down on Thai culture and think they're better, etc. I had some friends who had that "attitude" when I first got here 18 months ago. It disturbed me at first, and I kept reminding them that they were living in a foreign country and had to accept and love them as they were.

Now, 1 year and a half later - I'm frustrated and couldn't adapt well to the country's "pace" and culture.

I can say that after 18 months of living here, I look down on the Thai society and most of the problems they're having on the political scene and elsewhere - I can understand why just by looking at some regular Thai folks that I've met here. I probably need a vacation somewhere else to put things back into perspective, maybe.

I only read 2 or 3 pages, and Paul I agree with most of what you said. You got it quite right.

Thank you, I know it has to be right because it comes from the mouth of the people. I only wanted to share some of the feelings that were shared with me. Some suggest I talk to other Thai to get a different perspective??? I didn't solicit this information in the first place and I am not going to spend my Holiday in Thailand researching Thai/visitor relations LOL

There is no changing what was told to me. I just wanted to share.. :o

finally read the holiday thread ... I won't be bothering to reply again! :D Reality is what it is ... and well some folks seem not to have been close to it in ages :o

“rather than quote all that crap yet again ... scroll up and see where I was talking about the sudent's parents and not”

the position and attitude of every single Thai person, employer, and institution in Thailand

Yes. Right. Crap. Your arguement is and it's not even worth repeating. I agree.

You’re talking about Thai parents. So am I. Aren’t Thai parents people (persons)? Employers either work for institutions or they are institutions, which for the purposes of this exchange, lets try to understand they are schools. So, is it the schools, “Institutions,” which prefer “white faces,” 100% or is it the Thai parents who prefer “white faces” 100% of the time, or both? After you answer this question ask yourself why you came up with the answer you did..

But let’s keep it simple. Same question, different words. Are your, “All seeing, all knowing, omnipotent, white guy powers,” strong enough to see into the minds of every single Thai parent, in order to determine whether they would prefer a native speaker who has a brown complexion as opposed to a white one? Scroll down to see where you’ve already backtracked and responded to this question in a more realistic, acceptable manner. Seems after you thought about the simplicity of my argument against your 100% theory you relent a tad bit.

”I know you may not like it ... but it just happens to be the case ... not for all parents ... but for the vast majority. therefore I stand behind my position still ..”

No you don’t. By your own admission you are not standing behind “Your Position.” You were shoveling that “Crap,” as you called it, so high that you had to side step it to see the very simple point I was making.

“and all your posturing and avoidance and shifting who was being discussed amounts to very little.”

Who’s posturing? I’m sitting in the same position at the keyboard. Well, I’m squinting a bit. Does that count?

BTW ... head on over to the teacher's forum ... or anywhere else where Thailand and skin tone are discussed ... and let them have it!!

BTW ... I have taken a look at the teacher’s forum. I suspect this is where you got your 100% theory.

”I would rather see skin tone ... and race NOT be as large of an issue as it is here, but it is here in Thailand that we are talking about. I am glad that credentialed teachers that are not white can get good jobs sometimes. (So, what are you standing behind again?)

I am also aware that in MOST situations that if 2 people walked into a school ... one white and one not white and applied for a teaching position.

Wait a minute. Your’re starting to shovel crap again. I need to “Posture.” I’m leaning to one side now. Ok go ahead…pile it on…But at least you said “most,” and not 100%.

All other things being equal the white one will get the job. (and sadly far too often ... all other things NOT being equal ... and in favor of the non-white ... the white one will get the job anyways!. This may NOT be true at your fine institution ... but it is by and large just a fact of life in Thailand!)

So, your “All seeing, omnipotent white guy powers,” are capable of seeing into the hearts and minds of all Thai people, employers, and institutions after all. ######, wish I could do that!

Listen, “Oh Great One,” although I partly agree with some of what you say, pointing out to the readers that, “This is Thailand,” does not negate that fact that there are some highly intelligent people living here. This of course includes Thais, and a great number of other nationalities who, in my opinion, would very insulted by what you are propagating with this type of posting. You are saying that the great majority of Thai people and employers or “Learning Institutions,” are not capable of making decisions in the best interest of their children or for the institutions they work for. Or, They are capable but they just don’t do it for some reason that you’ve not given.

In a perfect world, two people might walk into a job interview with the exact same qualifications. But, you can be sure it won happen (100% of the time) just had to throw that in. ;-} I think most would agree it happens a lot less often.

Personally, I can only speak about the situation as it pertains to Black Americans, or as we sometimes prefer to be called, African Americans. For a great many years the English Language was associated with people who have white skin. People thought “Oh, he/she is white so he/she must be able to teach English because it’s their native language. This has been the thinking for a long time and in some cases it still is. However, this line of though is changing, however slowly, it is changing. As it stands today, there are just a lot more white people who are interested in living and working in Thailand than there are black Americans. For this reason our numbers are very low in the teaching field. As our numbers increase, and the numbers of whites with unintelligible dialects and accents increase, I think you will begin to see a change in the number of credentialed black Americans teaching here in Thailand. To put it in the words of one employer “It’s a delightful change,” because it gives students a chance to experience first hand the diversity in the American culture that they only see on TV and in the movies. “Our Students are very curious about this.”

I have turned down more work in the last 4 months than many “Teachers,” are able to find in a year. Subsequently, I have turned on some of my white counterparts. Some of whom were accepted to the positions. This is not a fluke. It is real and as I said previously, there are many more like me working here in Thailand already. Just because you don’t see us doesn’t mean we are not here.

gato :o

Never said you weren't here! and you are still posturing and reading into my posts things that were not said! You are still posturing. I said I stand behind my position 100% .. not that 100% agreed with me:) You brought in people other than parents, not me .. etc etc ...

but since this thread is just plain silly I am done:) If you would like to start a thread specifically about black Americans teaching in Thailand and your experiences I would love to read it! If you want me to respond to the thread I would happily do so :D

BTW even though my skin tone is white, my racial heritage is far from being white :D

I only read 2 or 3 pages, and Paul I agree with most of what you said. You got it quite right.

Thank you, I know it has to be right because it comes from the mouth of the people. I only wanted to share some of the feelings that were shared with me. Some suggest I talk to other Thai to get a different perspective??? I didn't solicit this information in the first place and I am not going to spend my Holiday in Thailand researching Thai/visitor relations LOL

There is no changing what was told to me. I just wanted to share.. :o

If you're saying that Thais find objectionable foreigners objectionable and would like to beat 10 heaps out of them, I think you're quite right. Many farangs here feel exactly the same.

If you're saying that there is a growing undercurrent of massive resentment against farangs in Thailand, I think you're quite wrong. From my daily experience I know you're completely wrong. Farangs do not register in the thoughts of most Thais going about their daily lives.

There is no changing what was told to me. I just wanted to share.. :D

If you're saying that Thais find objectionable foreigners objectionable and would like to beat 10 heaps out of them, I think you're quite right. Many farangs here feel exactly the same.

If you're saying that there is a growing undercurrent of massive resentment against farangs in Thailand, I think you're quite wrong. From my daily experience I know you're completely wrong. Farangs do not register in the thoughts of most Thais going about their daily lives.

Yep. Most of us do not register on the radar of normal Thais as they go about their daily lives.

There are some overly-sensitive prima donnas on here getting their panties all in a hitch over absolutely nothing. Same old, same old..... :o

I enjoy life and every day of life. I enjoy sharing the things I come across in life and I like to hear what others have found along their path of life. If your button was threatened or got pushed than I am sorry.

Paul is just trying to push buttons and is finding it heavy going on TV.

Bored reader, Germany :o

Everyone wants me to forget what I have been told... Sorry. I will listen to the "Source" and you guys ignore anything you desire :D I only wanted to share :D

You can educate some of the people all of the time.

You can educate all of the people some of the time.

In Paul's case, let's not waste all of our time!.....or even some of it! :o

Paul, sorry about this but your topic is simply.............wimpy.

I'm sure we'd all be happy to share our thoughts with you if you'd just give us something meatier to bite on.

Edited by qwertz

I'm sure we'd all be happy to share our thoughts with you if you'd just give us something meatier to bite on.

Ditto ! What are you afraid of Paul ? Gimmi something juicy !

No way! LOL This is as good as it gets here.. Look how "Wimpy" this topic is and yet it brings out the worst in people. At this point and page in the topic thread there is nothing that can be said that would make this topic of value to anyone. Oh well.... :o