Severe Anxiety

I suffered from anxiety for a while and was recommended Ashwagandha. It's a herb which has properties which can help with anxiety. I did not have the sort of serious anxiety you mention but I have to say that Ashwagandha was really helpful when I was suffering from anxiety. It helped with a better night's sleep which came with vivid dreams and I just felt that little but more positive about life. I doubt it would help "resolve" serious anxiety issues but I imagine it would be helpful nonetheless. It's safe, cheap and easy to come by. You can Google Ashwagandha for more info. A quick search on Lazada and Shopee shows many vendors selling various Ashwagandha supplements.

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 1

What exactly do you mean by you think something bad will happen?

Curious, as I had this feeling a few years back, but it was just more of an unpleasant feeling as if something was wrong with my body, eventually I thought I had cancer. Luckily my doctors super cool and let me do a bunch of tests just to ease my mind, found nothing, then few months later I had abdominal pain and went to the ER, turns out I had fairly large tumours that must have been growing for a while. Not saying this is the case with you but if you normally don't feel like this and haven't done anything different and your body is telling you something, there might be something wrong. 

I'm not one to believe in or miracles or anything but without a doubt if I didn't get have that weird feeling/paranoia and get checked I would probably be dead.

Edited by dj230

Talking from personal experiences... Lorazapam and Zoloft are you friend and  will do the trick to calm you down and make life bearable... and if it  persistent and became worse go see a professional to dig further and see if there's underling causes to how you feel..

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Zoloft are you friend

You'll get Sertraline in Thailand. Just as good but much cheaper. 

Sertraline is the generic form of the brand name drug Zoloft. It's used to treat various mental health conditions, including depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic attacks, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and social anxiety.

The original Zoloft is about 1200 Baht for 30 tablets of 50mg, the generic version of same is only about 150 Baht.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Talking from personal experiences... Lorazapam and Zoloft are you friend and  will do the trick to calm you down and make life bearable... and if it  persistent and became worse go see a professional to dig further and see if there's underling causes to how you feel..

As well from personal experience although ages ago: I would not try to self medicate here.

Reasons:

1. There are a number of similar medicaments in this category - you need to try out which one does you good and which one not which I would only do under supervision. The most famous at the time had been Prozac.

2. It takes a considerable time (about 4 weeks) before you can feel a difference

3. For me they had the side effect to make me more aggressive, again supervison is recommended

There are alternatives to medicaments, after all this is never a physical thing in the end. It is never your stomach that gets anxious or your nose or some other part of the body. But those methods need even more sophisticated supervision because they must be tailored to you individually.

Bottom line: Go see a professional, but try to discuss several different approaches or a combination of them.

I wish you all the best.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 9:07 PM, Heng said:

Maybe learn to ski/snowboard?    I'm wound pretty tightly myself and but it gets a bit lighter when I travel and definitely when I'm cruising down a mountain through snowy/icy wind.    No chemicals required. 

In the Bangkok mountains, I'm sure.

• Haha 1

Hmmm, I contacted a few of the therapists mentioned by Sheryl and the prices are very expensive! 3,000b per 50 mins was the normal rate or 7,000 for 3 sessions if I pay in bulk. I understand therapy usually isn't cheap but I wasnt expection to pay more than 1/2k per session.  Do you think they offer cheaper alternatives at government hospitals? By the way I forgot to mention I'm half Thai so that may be beneficial...

57 minutes ago, thingsgetbetter2 said:

Do you think they offer cheaper alternatives at government hospitals?

Without a doubt. For one thing you only pay 50 Baht to see a doctor and the meds are at basic prices. 

On 7/8/2022 at 8:53 AM, thingsgetbetter2 said:

I've always dealt with mild cases of depression / anxiety since my teen years but through meditation and 
breathing exercise it has been manageable. This time feels different...

See a physician 

On 7/9/2022 at 10:45 AM, thingsgetbetter2 said:

Something is different this time and I need help. 

See a physician 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:07 PM, Heng said:

Maybe learn to ski/snowboard?    I'm wound pretty tightly myself and but it gets a bit lighter when I travel and definitely when I'm cruising down a mountain through snowy/icy wind.    No chemicals required. 

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrics' office

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thingsgetbetter2 said:

Hmmm, I contacted a few of the therapists mentioned by Sheryl and the prices are very expensive! 3,000b per 50 mins was the normal rate or 7,000 for 3 sessions if I pay in bulk. I understand therapy usually isn't cheap but I wasnt expection to pay more than 1/2k per session.  Do you think they offer cheaper alternatives at government hospitals? By the way I forgot to mention I'm half Thai so that may be beneficial...

You could try the government pysch hospital

https://www.somdet.go.th/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2&tbm=lcl&q=Somdet+Chaopraya+Institute+of+Psychiatry&rflfq=1&num=10&ved=2ahUKEwigqd6n9fn4AhUXZ2wGHXMMB_sQtgN6BAgQEAY#rlfi=hd:;si:,13.726566219976394,100.50681791490751;mv:[[13.733850330490705,100.51600179857451],[13.722448288815658,100.49950084871489],null,[13.728149378942437,100.5077513236447],16]

But mostly they do medication, not therapy

• Sad 1

I suspect you are going to end up on Setraline. It's dirt cheap and it'll do the job. 

I took Setraline for an off-label reason, unrelated to mental health, so this gives me some unusual insight into its effects.

The problem for a depressive is the very thing the drug is trying to help (their mind) is the very thing feeling and critiquing the experience. Reading the complaints about it on the internet, such as the withdrawal symptoms and general side- effects, I can sympathise but they are misplaced. They are exactly the hyperbolic, catastrophising common to depressives. So please don't pay them attention. 

It will relax your mind, stop you fearing the worst, but also will fatigue you and prevent you from getting a full night's sleep; you're going to be taking lots of naps instead.

Prepare yourself and go for it. It'll give you a chance to change your lifestyle (no sitting around, lots of running, walks) and then you can gently taper off it.

I'm saying all this on the condition a doctor recommends the drug for you. But at around 150 baht for 2 weeks... it certainly beats therapy or skiiing in the Bangkok Alps. 

Edited by Gaccha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gaccha said:

I suspect you are going to end up on Setraline. It's dirt cheap and it'll do the job. 

I took Setraline for an off-label reason, unrelated to mental health, so this gives me some unusual insight into its effects.

The problem for a depressive is the very thing the drug is trying to help (their mind) is the very thing feeling and critiquing the experience. Reading the complaints about it on the internet, such as the withdrawal symptoms and general side- effects, I can sympathise but they are misplaced. They are exactly the hyperbolic, catastrophising common to depressives. So please don't pay them attention. 

He does not suffer from depression, he suffers from anxiety/panic attacks.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, thingsgetbetter2 said:

I'm located in Bangkok mate. 
I'm open to suggestions if someone knows a personal Dr. who specializes in the field aswell. 
Cheers, friend. 

my doc in the Uk prescribed attenolol......PRENOLOL here.....50 mgs......and I have been ok take one tab twice a day !!!!!

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Prescription medications for panic attacks and anxiety
  • citalopram (Celexa)
  • escitalopram (Lexapro)
  • fluvoxamine (Luvox)
  • paroxetine (Paxil)
  • fluoxetine (Prozac)
  • sertraline (Zoloft)
Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Sheryl,

I appreciate that, I just want to disabuse him of any fears of using the drug from reports of users of it on the internet. 

• 2 months later...

I suggest It might from pills or prescriptions you use or even from dental fillings, crowns implants or anything. Try to figure out what causes this happen to you and eliminate it. Anxiety attacks cannot start on empty place, there is  body contamination with something.

Edited by MambaJamba
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear what you're going through OP!

Im in Bkk also, early 30s. Normally im quite outgoing, enjoy dinner out often, occasional beer etc.

All changed about 1.5 months ago, i had a massive panic attack in broad daylight out of the blue. Heart racing, hard to breathe, jelly legs, hands shaking, dizzy etc. But i have felt this feeling before, in the past i sometimes wake up like this in the middle of the night, but it has never happened before during daytime. If i had not felt this feeling never before i would have certainly went to the ER straight away. But i found taxi and got home where i felt better.

Next weeks were a struggle, just scared that this feeling will come again. I pulled myself together and put myself intentionally into situations where i know might induce anxiety and panic. I felt that helped a lot, also swimming and walking helped.

But its not a straight line, ive had 4-5 big panic attacks the past 1.5 months, setbacks are part of the journey.

Actually the past week have been very hard, i havent had a big panic attack in more than a week but im completely overwhelmed with anxiety. The feeling is always there.

Im starting to think its more than just anxiety. My family suspects i might have overactive thyroid gland, my grandma has it and had the same symptoms as me. Also many other similar examples of people i know.

So in the upcoming days im going to make a bloodtest and scan to check it out. Even if thats not the case, at least i can rule it out.

I just try to educate myself on anxiety and try to think as logically as possible, but its not easy.

Good luck and feel free to PM me, you are not alone and keep fighting!

15 minutes ago, buddyy said:

Im in Bkk also, early 30s. Normally im quite outgoing, enjoy dinner out often, occasional beer etc.

All changed about 1.5 months ago, i had a massive panic attack in broad daylight out of the blue. Heart racing, hard to breathe, jelly legs, hands shaking, dizzy etc. But i have felt this feeling before, in the past i sometimes wake up like this in the middle of the night, but it has never happened before during daytime. If i had not felt this feeling never before i would have certainly went to the ER straight away. But i found taxi and got home where i felt better.

Next weeks were a struggle, just scared that this feeling will come again. I pulled myself together and put myself intentionally into situations where i know might induce anxiety and panic. I felt that helped a lot, also swimming and walking helped.

But its not a straight line, ive had 4-5 big panic attacks the past 1.5 months, setbacks are part of the journey.

Actually the past week have been very hard, i havent had a big panic attack in more than a week but im completely overwhelmed with anxiety. The feeling is always there.

Im starting to think its more than just anxiety. My family suspects i might have overactive thyroid gland, my grandma has it and had the same symptoms as me. Also many other similar examples of people i know.

So in the upcoming days im going to make a bloodtest and scan to check it out. Even if thats not the case, at least i can rule it out.

I just try to educate myself on anxiety and try to think as logically as possible, but its not easy.

What in your life could be causing the anxiety? people often miss it or ignore it until it becomes overwhelming (assuming it isn't the thyroid)

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What in your life could be causing the anxiety? people often miss it or ignore it until it becomes overwhelming (assuming it isn't the thyroid)

I honestly dont know, not able to point to a single thing. 

I have a theory though. I had/have quite bad dental phobia, luckily my teeth been fine, good genetics i guess. But a few weeks before the first panic attack i had a bad toothache, refused to see dentist and was taking ibubrofen almost everyday. The pain was not always there, but i was always worried it will come back when hanging out.

Though, i pulled myself together and found a great dentist and fixed it. It was not as scary like i thought and now the feeling of going to a dentist does not scare me.

But now it feels like the paranoia of pain coming back at any random moment stayed and now of course have scared feeling about panic coming back...vicious cicle

I dont know if thats all connected but thats the most logical theory i have of the origin of anxiety the past few months.

EDIT: Just to add some information

I had mild social anxiety all my life, but all my friends know if i drink 2 beers its all gone. Though, this time its different.

Of course i made a mistake of drinking some beers before going out weeks following the first panic attack. But the feeling when the buzz goes away is unbearable, so ive been avoiding alcohol for a month now.

And this is someone who bragged for years that having a hangover while in Thailand is super rare.

Edited by buddyy
Added information

57 minutes ago, buddyy said:

Definitely check out your thyroid with a full thyroid panel - not just TSH but also free T3/T4

• Thumbs Up 1

this thread can go on for 1000000 pages and I'm not sure we will find the answer.

except to see a doctor.                  

Took B supplements, anxiety seemed to become a problem.   stopped, anxiety went away.  I'll have anxiety and then laugh that I'm creating problems out of boredom.  Then I realized it was probably my job giving me anxiety, and it wasn't really my job but like a mid-life crisis.   And your mind continues to go in a crazy loop......until you love yourself and you don't blame yourself, then calmness returns.    Is it depression?  Anxiety and depression?   Never had a panic attack or anything that caused me to NOT do anything.   Only an idle mind.  So then you think it's mental health issues, as you are not laughing like some kid.    

Being around people or talking to people didn't work.   Having real friends really helped.   Being in a relationship helps.   Mental hobby helps.    Physical hobby, not as much as I thought.  

The crazy part is I feel great now......I think I got tired of being tired, flipped the switch, and relaxed.    I don't think I'll ever know what it was.......low hormones, thyroid, yea, you think of everything......but it's really crazy how it can go from 100 to 0%.   Bipolar?  again, you think of everything.   it's just a thought, no signs.....

another thing is sugar........and eating habits.   and maybe my anxiety was 1 out of 10 but maybe it was 6 out of 10.  anxiety isn't anxiety.    who knows......but yea I think I understand a little bit about anxiety. 

Part of my cancer treatment wiped out all the testosterone in my body ,this left me depressed and i was crying at the slightest thing. My Doc put me on Sertraline and it worked great no side effects that i noticed, i am now off them 4 years down the road and im ok.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

this thread can go on for 1000000 pages and I'm not sure we will find the answer.

except to see a doctor.                  

Took B supplements, anxiety seemed to become a problem.   stopped, anxiety went away.  I'll have anxiety and then laugh that I'm creating problems out of boredom.  Then I realized it was probably my job giving me anxiety, and it wasn't really my job but like a mid-life crisis.   And your mind continues to go in a crazy loop......until you love yourself and you don't blame yourself, then calmness returns.    Is it depression?  Anxiety and depression?   Never had a panic attack or anything that caused me to NOT do anything.   Only an idle mind.  So then you think it's mental health issues, as you are not laughing like some kid.    

Being around people or talking to people didn't work.   Having real friends really helped.   Being in a relationship helps.   Mental hobby helps.    Physical hobby, not as much as I thought.  

The crazy part is I feel great now......I think I got tired of being tired, flipped the switch, and relaxed.    I don't think I'll ever know what it was.......low hormones, thyroid, yea, you think of everything......but it's really crazy how it can go from 100 to 0%.   Bipolar?  again, you think of everything.   it's just a thought, no signs.....

another thing is sugar........and eating habits.   and maybe my anxiety was 1 out of 10 but maybe it was 6 out of 10.  anxiety isn't anxiety.    who knows......but yea I think I understand a little bit about anxiety. 

Wouldn't be sugar, i eat loads of it and I'm super relaxed. Trying to find a solution can cause anxiety where you're constantly looking for the answer, in a loop

On 9/30/2022 at 8:49 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Wouldn't be sugar, i eat loads of it and I'm super relaxed. Trying to find a solution can cause anxiety where you're constantly looking for the answer, in a loop

It could be sugar as not everything affects everyone the same. Sugar might have zero effect on you but on someone else it might have a terrible effect. Whenever someone has an undiagnosed medical condition, reducing sugar and cleaning up one's diet isn't a bad starting point.

Edited by mstevens

On 9/30/2022 at 6:47 PM, buddyy said:

Getting the blood test you mentioned and having thyroid checked is a great idea.

Assuming the test comes back ok, there are some herbal supplements that can assist those suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. Ashwagandha is popular. Google it and see if it's for you. I took it for a few months a year or so back and found it to have a very soothing effect. There are other herbs that are similar such as Rhodiola, Tulsi and others. They have similar effects but can vary a little i.e. Tulsi is good to take in the evening as it can help (a little) with sleep. But for sure, if anxiety is an issue, Ashwagandha is a decent starting point.