Insurance if you have to cancel a flight due to getting Covid

Guderian

I’m flying back to the UK in early September and returning to Thailand around 6 weeks later. We no longer need to have Covid health insurance travelling either way, so life is simpler than it was. I’m a bit worried, though, about what would happen if I was diagnosed with Covid before the flights, either in Thailand or in the UK. I’m sure you wouldn’t be allowed to fly, but how would the airline treat this? Are they understanding and they will allow you to rebook at no extra cost, or is it simply your bad luck and you’d lose the money you’d paid for that leg of the ticket? Is there travel insurance you can buy, either here or in the UK, that covers you for the costs in case you have to cancel your flights due to Covid? I’m flying Business with Oman and the ticket didn’t leave me with much change from £3,000, so I really want to make sure I’m covered. I’m not interested in general medical insurance, lost luggage or anything like that, only flight cancellations caused by myself.  

I just returned from a trip to UK, and took out a travel policy with MSIG which states 'the Company shall indemnify the Insured for loss or damage due to trip cancellation or trip postponement occurring within 60 days before the trip commencement date.'

I did not need to claim but a phone call to them assured me that if I had to cancel due to Covid, or any accident, death etc, I would be covered.

Cost was  just over Bht 2000 for a 3 week trip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I just returned from a trip to UK, and took out a travel policy with MSIG which states 'the Company shall indemnify the Insured for loss or damage due to trip cancellation or trip postponement occurring within 60 days before the trip commencement date.'

I did not need to claim but a phone call to them assured me that if I had to cancel due to Covid, or any accident, death etc, I would be covered.

Cost was  just over Bht 2000 for a 3 week trip.

Thanks, that's helpful

13 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

How about your ticket conditions?  Is it not changeable/refundable?  With some relatively small charge?

I saw the T&C when I was booking the flight and it had something about free change of schedule (but surcharges if the new dates were more expensive) up to 72 hours before departure. Now the e-ticket just has a link to the T&C that doesn't work, of course.

if you are fit to fly you do go, even if not feeling well. Nobody is doing or checking any tests for any illness.

If not well you need doctor's statement that you have medical condition and should not fly for a specific time.

That should be enough to postpone travel date with any airline. You pay fare difference, if any.

Get any travel insurance, from thailand. But I would think that supposed to be bought before getting airfare to cover it.

• Like 1