Message for U.S. Citizens: Temporary Suspension of Consular Services at Consulate General Chiang Mai

ubonjoe

16 hours ago, seedy said:

Construction well underway for the new consulate on the frontage road North side Superhighway

very strange going on here building such A LARGE. unit. and no staff is it a spy unit or a new 7/11

7 hours ago, Reposed said:

You respond to my posts, but avoid answering my questions.

I responded to point B to be helpful.

Point A is not known at the moment but I would say 95% it is due to COVId which is certainly not over from what people I know tell me - as in they got sick recently. The lucky thing is that those I know who were vaccinated got better and did not need to go to the hospital.

As for your point C I don't understand you.

6 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Maybe it's related to Blinkin's visit to Thailand...senior consulate staff need to attend meetings in Bangkok & Consulate will re-open after the Secretary of State departs?

A good thought but I doubt that junior consular officers are needed in Bangkok and those are teh ones who help with passports etc

16 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

It’s not like service was great when they were fully staffed.  Last time I was there was in 2018.  What if your passport is lost or stolen?  Do I apply for a replacement online?  As an American who has worked and lived overseas for almost 10 years I can say the US State Department is the second most useless organization after the United Nations.  

Sorry, you'll have to take a number on this. There's a sadness* of Brits who reckon the UK Foreign Office beats the UN and the WHO.

(Collective noun for whingeing poms)

14 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

That could be a problem if normal consular services are suspended in Chiang Mai.  Good luck taking a flight from CNX to BKK as a foreigner without a passport unless you have a Thai Drivers License.  

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Funny movie. Fuuuunny.

13 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I hope I never have to test your theory?

Don't you worry yourself, it's already been tried and tested by many with greater faith and fortitude.

16 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

It’s not like service was great when they were fully staffed.  Last time I was there was in 2018.  What if your passport is lost or stolen?  Do I apply for a replacement online?  As an American who has worked and lived overseas for almost 10 years I can say the US State Department is the second most useless organization after the United Nations.  

they seem to be pretty good at paying the upkeep on their massive compound on Th. Ratchadamri here in Bangkok. 

But then again it may just be part of the general shortage of workers - expect pay is better frying burgers in USA now than entry level government work - and burger joints can not get workers at 20-30 dollars an hour.  Police are begging for people.  But with borders almost closed workforce is limited and after long unemployment too many have adapted that as a lifestyle I suspect.  The world is in flux and there is a shortage of just about everything (except maybe hot air).

On 7/9/2022 at 12:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

Just got a email about the suspension.

I'm sure your information is 100% accurate, however, FYI, my Thai wife just called the CM visa department and paraphrased your post to them, they claimed they are not aware of any such staff shortage at the CM Embassy.

7 minutes ago, clokwise said:

I'm sure your information is 100% accurate, however, FYI, my Thai wife just called the CM visa department and paraphrased your post to them, they claimed they are not aware of any such staff shortage at the CM Embassy.

Believe you mean US Consulate in CM.  Embassies are in Bangkok. 

Perhaps your wife talked with a Thai staff member rather than a Consular Officer and they were not aware Consular services had just been suspended over the weekend.  

1 hour ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

Is the US Consulate in Chiang Mai following new guidelines in this case?

'During crisis cock-ups keep schtum. Whatever you do, don't get caught telling the truth."

I wouldn't doubt it... nothing surprises me anymore.

The USA that I grew up in no longer exists.

When asked why I don't want to go home I reply that there is nothing to go back to.

I've made a good life here and am thankful that I have the option to choose where I want to live.

• Like 1

Email from US Consul this morning, open now.

Seal with white background

Effective immediately, the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai has resumed all consular services.  If you are a U.S. citizen in northern Thailand in need of emergency assistance, please call the Chiang Mai American Citizens Services unit (053-107-700).  

If you have an appointment for, or are seeking, routine services in Chiang Mai, please email [email protected]For visa assistance and information, please email [email protected]

We apologize for any inconvenience the temporary suspension of services may have caused. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, Captain Monday said:

Completely falling apart

Depends on how you look at it all. USA have been offering consular services in more place than one in a range of countries. As it´s only temporary, they will surely continue with that. They also offer mobile services in different provinces at specific times. If you look at most other nationalities, the only option is the capitol city, Bangkok. Most people have no problem with that. They do not say that it´s all falling apart.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, clokwise said:

Why did you complicate it, by letting your wife call a government services that are fully able to speak your language? Even if you wife speaks good English, that´s just a perfect way to get the wrong information.

Now back open.   Once one manages to get an appointment for consular services the personnel one  encounters at USCCM are the most helpful and friendly of any US govt agency. Perhaps they encountered the same personnel issue that affected most business in the US. A "little flu" going around. It lasts a few days for most and a 10 day stand down from work recommended by CDC.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Why did you complicate it, by letting your wife call a government services that are fully able to speak your language? Even if you wife speaks good English, that´s just a perfect way to get the wrong information.

She has a semi-urgent visa renewal application in process with them now. I told her what I read here about the shut down. She later called them to confirm - on her own volition. Fancy that - a Thai woman who can think for herself and doesn't need to be told what to do!!

As for me, I was simply relaying information.

• Like 1

Message for U.S. Citizens: Resumption of Routine Consular Services at Consulate General Chiang Mai
A
Fri 7/15/2022 3:02 PM

Seal with white background

Effective immediately, the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai has resumed all consular services.  If you are a U.S. citizen in northern Thailand in need of emergency assistance, please call the Chiang Mai American Citizens Services unit (053-107-700). 

If you have an appointment for, or are seeking, routine services in Chiang Mai, please email [email protected]For visa assistance and information, please email [email protected]

We apologize for any inconvenience the temporary suspension of services may have caused.