Thai IQ pretty average compared to its neighbors

14 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

How does one accurately measure any kind of intelligence?

As there's a wide variety to choose from.

Well, without too much detail (you can google it), they've been doing it over a hundred years and have gotten quite good at it. The standard IQ score is a very good predictor of academic and chosen career success. This simply means high IQ people become doctors and whatnot and low IQ people dig ditches and whatnot. The anticipated problem in some western countries is that automation is gradually eliminating low IQ jobs. What then?

On 7/11/2022 at 6:34 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

And then there are those low IQ guys who think if they don't understand it nobody can possibly understand it. ???? 

Most low iq people I've encountered know they understand it without understanding it. 

• Like 1

The online tests are garbage.   Ranges between like 110 and 140.

And you get better after you take one, which makes it even dumbbberable.  

If forced to take an IQ test, well, who cares, you aren't motivated.  

I'm sure there is a legit way to measure someone's IQ, but I bet it's pretty expensive and time consuming.

Regardless, schools in America are 100000000000x better than in Thailand.   So, there's that.  Means some joker gets smart, has kids, etc.........

23 hours ago, Denim said:

On my few visits there I found the kids to be amazingly intelligent with an apparent gift for languages. Walking along the Phnom Penh river front a 10 year old vendor of trinkets approached me to sell something. Her English was excellent and I asked her where she learnt. She said tourists taught her and she wrote down anything new she heard. After an interesting chat ( with a 10 year old for heavens sake ! )  I was ready to move on and tried to give her a little money to encourage her in her studies . 

Refused point blank to sell it and shamed me a bit by telling me she was not a beggar  ! So , I bought one of her wooden armband trinkets , accepted the change and off she went.

Finding an english speaking kid is easy enough.Hanging around the markeds and listening from a young age surely helps.My 6 old daughters english is close to flawless.She has words even I need to ask where she learned since its not in my normal vocabulary.I can only blame Utube and early tutoring.Nothing to do with inteligence IMO

21 hours ago, proton said:

True, but people have been cancelled for pointing out the relationship of DNA to intelligence.

Is there actually any clear evidence that links DNA to intelligence?  The thing is, often people with low IQs are poor, whether in a developing country or a racial minority in a developed country, so nutrition, education and parental involvement is probably a lot higher of a factor.

I'm sure you can appreciate the damage that mislabelling the terminally poor as being genetically predisposed to low intelligence.

28 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

I can only blame Utube and early tutoring.Nothing to do with inteligence IMO

Thai kids are pretty addicted to Youtube etc. Has not had the same impact as you see with the Cambodian kids.

43 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Is there actually any clear evidence that links DNA to intelligence?  The thing is, often people with low IQs are poor, whether in a developing country or a racial minority in a developed country, so nutrition, education and parental involvement is probably a lot higher of a factor.

I'm sure you can appreciate the damage that mislabelling the terminally poor as being genetically predisposed to low intelligence.

There is a link if your parents have a high intelligence then quite often you have too. Though you could say that your points prove it because smart parents usually have money and so on. But what i read there is a genetic part to it. But not so broad as to say that Dutch people are smarter then fill in the ones below the top 10. 

But its seems to be linked to your parents for sure. 

• Like 1

I would prefer to be stupid and happy rather than to be dim and discontented. 

Just keep in mind that, given any large population, there will always be plenty of individuals able to score more than 2 standards of deviation right of the IQ normal curve mean. 

Personally, I have met a few individuals here in Thailand smarter than me. 

Scarcer than hens teeth, I must admit. 

But, when you find them, they are beauties to behold. 

Smart guys and girls at the university, mostly older teachers, when you meet them, you don't forget. 

You can talk about almost any topic, and they just "get it" immediately, with no beating around the bush, like in Pattaya. 

It's lonely being at the top. 

Hong Kong was once 107. 

That was before the influx of peasants from the Mainland who would walk in the middle of the road like the country bumpkins they truly were. 

It's lonely at the top, as Randy once sung. 

Randy Newman is not for everyone. 

Take these so-called tests with a grain of salt. You must look at the sample size and how diverse the samples are to be more accurate.

The economy speak for themselves that Malaysia is a much richer country than Cambodia and Myanmar.  There are also other tests like science and maths ranking.

Edited by EricTh

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Take these so-called tests with a grain of salt. You must look at the sample size and how diverse the samples are to be more accurate.

The economy speak for themselves that Malaysia is a much richer country than Cambodia and Myanmar.  There are also other tests like science and maths ranking.

Are you implying that the tests are not well validated? 

Are you implying that the Wechsler, and others, are so-called tests? 

What are you implying or saying... Really? 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:53 AM, BangkokReady said:

Is there actually any clear evidence that links DNA to intelligence? 

Yes, there is.

Read some twin studies, for example.

The linking of IQ to genetic inheritance has already been fairly well established, for decades.

This, of course, is not the sole factor in determining IQ.

Is the Moon made of green cheese, on the other hand?

Maybe you will actually need to visit Earth's Moon to convince yourself that the Moon is, in fact, mostly Mozzarella.