My Thai Buddy's electric bike.

Kwasaki

21 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It doesn't bother me. 

I do everything legally, riding an electric bike early mornings without a Green Book is the biggest crime I'll commit. 

Kids going to school on em here. 

What annoys me is why DLT won't do anything and there's shops everywhere in Thailand selling them. 

Road tax, DTPL, number plate, a whatever coloured book, what's so hard about that it's more revenue. ????

On 7/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, eisfeld said:

BTW never seen such a weird kickstand. What's the red thing that sticks into the air?

Is it a thing you put your foot on to extend the kickstand when its in the horizontal position?

• Like 1

Would never drive such thing in Thailand for a good reason, they are too silent. You need to be heard aside of driving like a hawk to stay alive here.

Can't beat a decent 125CC motorbike with this electric garbage.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Would never drive such thing in Thailand for a good reason, they are too silent. You need to be heard aside of driving like a hawk to stay alive here.

Can't beat a decent 125CC motorbike with this electric garbage.

EV bikes are use for just riding locally around and about the village.

A 125 on on bike trip would never ride such a thing. ????

On 7/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, Kwasaki said:

Where we live they are not illegal and electric bikes 2 wheels and 3 wheels and 4 wheels ride around the village and also go into Sukhothai New town some 14 kilos away and in our village and new Sukhothai the police don't do nothing.

The fact he has got CTPL on the bike is sensible I have no interest in what the likes of you post about it, you are obviously bias and jealous about what people can do where we live and what you know ain't worth nowt. 

Where we live they are not illegal

legality and enforcement of laws are separate things. just because the police/authorities  fail to enforce a law doesn;t make it legal.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't know how old you are, but we will all be riding them in the near future. 

We won't, there is shortages in minerals now already. Much wiser to keep driving bikes as of today, and improve how they perform.

• Haha 1

This is my wifes 5000 baht scooter. Good in standard trim for 25kph. Plenty enough to get her around our village.

But the bloke in the video clip ' ups ' to get 90 kph . Doesn't up the feeble brake though.

scooter2.jpg

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

Where we live they are not illegal

legality and enforcement of laws are separate things. just because the police/authorities  fail to enforce a law doesn;t make it legal.

Well to ambush a choice of words doesn't change anything where we live and so long shall it be so until the Thai govt make them legal. 

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

But what can the bent police in Hua-Hin charge anyone with if they are sold in Thailand and there is no registration for them other than to treat them as a bicycle.

Same like they would charge you with if you drove a coal and steam engine powered two wheeler on public roads: Using an unregistered vehicle on public roads. I told you it's literally the first sentence of Chapter 1 of the Vehicle Act ????. I don't know why people think just because these things run on electricity instead of whatever other fuel that the law does not apply suddenly. A motor is a motor. The law does not just cover motors powered by fossil based fuels. You could have a bike powered by compressed cow farts and it would still apply.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

What annoys me is why DLT won't do anything and there's shops everywhere in Thailand selling them. 

What do you want the DLT to do exactly? It's not the DLTs job to police the roads or who sells what. That's the job of the... police. The DLTs job is to test and register the bikes if the manufacturers or importers came to them.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well to ambush a choice of words doesn't change anything where we live and so long shall it be so until the Thai govt make them legal. 

The Thai government does not have to do anything. It's the manufacturers and importers who have to get them tested and registered. But they wont do it because they don't want to spend the money or (more worrying) can't meet the requirements and they simply don't care that they are illegal to ride on public roads. They will quietly not mention it to customers because in many parts of Thailand the police wont enforce against these bikes.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 5:51 AM, Kwasaki said:

I not interested in educating you about Thailand why don't you ask the insurance companies that issue CTPL. 

So I actually went and spoke to Roojai which is a well known insurance company for motorcycles. They told me without registration they can't insure a bike and asked me to contact the DLT regarding registration.

BTW this totally makes sense because in Thailand when you insure a vehicle (even with just CTPL) it's the vehicle that is insured and not the owner or rider. That means you can insure a motorcycle and the CTPL does not care who rode it at the moment of accident. But that means the insurance has to be tied to one specific vehicle. And that's based on the VIN and DLT registration (plat number) information. And that's why I was asking how can they get CTPL if there are no plates. I was thinking maybe with the VIN alone (if those even have a VIN) but seems at least with Roojai that's not possible.

I'd be happy to hear if someone got CTPL for a bike like that and knows *how* to get it because I think getting CTPL goes a long way making these bikes suitable for public roads. It's cheap and covers many low damage accidents.

Edited by eisfeld

58 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Same like they would charge you with if you drove a coal and steam engine powered two wheeler on public roads: Using an unregistered vehicle on public roads. I told you it's literally the first sentence of Chapter 1 of the Vehicle Act ????. I don't know why people think just because these things run on electricity instead of whatever other fuel that the law does not apply suddenly. A motor is a motor. The law does not just cover motors powered by fossil based fuels. You could have a bike powered by compressed cow farts and it would still apply.

What do you want the DLT to do exactly? It's not the DLTs job to police the roads or who sells what. That's the job of the... police. The DLTs job is to test and register the bikes if the manufacturers or importers came to them.

The Thai government does not have to do anything. It's the manufacturers and importers who have to get them tested and registered. But they wont do it because they don't want to spend the money or (more worrying) can't meet the requirements and they simply don't care that they are illegal to ride on public roads. They will quietly not mention it to customers because in many parts of Thailand the police wont enforce against these bikes.

Fair call on 1 + 2.

As for the Thai govt won't do anything why do they let taxi use them. 

How come you can get CTPL for them. 

Triumph announce the official completion of the TE-1 electric development project, with the release of the final prototype test results that exceed the project objectives and demonstrate the incredible success of this unique collaboration.

161km / 100mile range, based on live testing

130 kW (177PS / 175bhp) PEAK POWER

20-MINUTE CHARGE TIME (0-80%)

1147637729_te1-phase4-media-carousel-1-1920x1080(Medium).jpg.ccf3a6271a673a8426617544ddc807d9.jpg

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/for-the-ride/brand/project-triumph-te-1/phase-4

Still not for me...but I must admit it's getting closer to usable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Triumph announce the official completion of the TE-1 electric development project, with the release of the final prototype test results that exceed the project objectives and demonstrate the incredible success of this unique collaboration.

161km / 100mile range, based on live testing

130 kW (177PS / 175bhp) PEAK POWER

20-MINUTE CHARGE TIME (0-80%)

1147637729_te1-phase4-media-carousel-1-1920x1080(Medium).jpg.ccf3a6271a673a8426617544ddc807d9.jpg

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/for-the-ride/brand/project-triumph-te-1/phase-4

Still not for me...but I must admit it's getting closer to usable

Not for me either but because of the price for me I guess. ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Where did he buy from and how much did he pay? 

They are both available on Lazada is where my friend bought his. 

Personally I think that one doesn't look that good in looks.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Where did he buy from and how much did he pay? 

Pay attention to specs, as some are 1000w or 1500w, and battery 12Ah

Besides LAZ & Shopee, I think I would chance Alibaba, as I think some are getting by customs ???

Specs ️Motor 2000 w ️Battery Lithium 60V 20ah

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1738949673103215/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A37eb9e1f-a1e3-4b33-ae77-ff8eaf4f4960

Not sure if this one is still in business.  Use to be a vendor in HH & BKK, but no longer see their listings:

https://www.facebook.com/Samui-Eco-Choppers-319796601976009/

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They are both available on Lazada is where my friend bought his. 

Personally I think that one doesn't look that good in looks.

Thanks for your reply. 

I've seen the ones for sale on lazada, I'm just shopping around, if anything available at a cheaper price. 

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Pay attention to specs, as some are 1000w or 1500w, and battery 12Ah

Besides LAZ & Shopee, I think I would chance Alibaba, as I think some are getting by customs ???

Specs ️Motor 2000 w ️Battery Lithium 60V 20ah

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1738949673103215/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A37eb9e1f-a1e3-4b33-ae77-ff8eaf4f4960

Not sure if this one is still in business.  Use to be a vendor in HH & BKK, but no longer see their listings:

https://www.facebook.com/Samui-Eco-Choppers-319796601976009/

Thanks, good input. 

I reckon 2000 watt is the size I'll buy. 

This company is located in BKK, they sell for 40k and delivery 1300 baht. 

https://fb.watch/erfgu6F-rc/

This is a nice colour. 

Screenshot_2022-07-22-15-46-10-49_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, eisfeld said:

But maybe those fat tires have really fat rubber walls and can be inflated with relatively low pressure so there's some dampening there?

"...so there's some dampening [sic] there?"

Only if they get wet.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2022 at 6:12 PM, KhunLA said:

Legality - tolerating depends where you live.   They are not citing any 2 or 3 wheeled EVs where I live,  As more than few on the roads now.  Stand up scooters, 500w/1000w/2000w scooters of various  designs.  ebikes, as they've noticed mine, and haven't batted any eye.

Acknowledged with a head nod, and that's about it.  I had a stand up w/seat scooter, and they didn't care.  Returned it though, as it died on 1st day, good thing, as I really didn't care for it.  I also don't bother with a helmet, and again, they don't care.  Locally, they rarely enforce that on MBs.  They are extremely lenient, but no major accidents off of hwy #4.

Everyone does the speed limit, and rarely see any vehicle over 50 kph around town.

Don't know what it is, but everyone seems to behave here, and in 5 years, have yet to see a scooter accident.  When in Udon Thani, it was an almost daily occurrence if out for a couple hours.

Legal/ tolerated but how is it insured? In case of accident is it legal?

43 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thanks, good input. 

I reckon 2000 watt is the size I'll buy. 

This company is located in BKK, they sell for 40k and delivery 1300 baht. 

https://fb.watch/erfgu6F-rc/

This is a nice colour. 

Screenshot_2022-07-22-15-46-10-49_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

If you find the one you like and it's only a 1000watt don't be put off they still fast enough.

I'm not into EV stuff but if guys in UK and other places and expect here in Thailand too,  can make 20 watt stand on scoot do 60 mph I would say there ways and means of uprating the original electric motor or keeping it as a spare and buying more powerful electric motor for it. 

For example if you can buy a vacuum cleaner in different watt and lawn mowers with brushless motors what's the difference.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

At those speeds, just knocking around town, you're not going to do much damage, IF, an oops.  Just know & realize, it may be coming out of your pocket, IF, having an oops.

Just accept ... "With big smiles comes big responsibility" - Uncle Ben

27 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You can get some cover by getting CTPL better than nowt. 

The rest is your risk. 

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Bicycles are illegal in Thailand, then?

Let's not be dense. Of course bicycles without motor are not illegal. The Vehicle Act regulates use on public roads and the definition of Motorcycle is this:

“Motorcycle” means a vehicle driven by motor or electric power with
not more than two wheels, or not more than an additional wheel in a sidecar, and
shall include a bicycle equipped with motor driven devices;

You are welcome to read the act yourself.

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Edited by eisfeld

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

At those speeds, just knocking around town, you're not going to do much damage, IF, an oops.  Just know & realize, it may be coming out of your pocket, IF, having an oops.

Just accept ... "With big smiles comes big responsibility" - Uncle Ben

Hopefully but I think most people underestimate the damage that can be done with as low as 30kph. Try the following: run as fast as you can with your head against a solid wall and see what happens ???? (Disclaimer: maybe don't, it's not a good idea). Seen enough people get banged up real bad on the road near my house and they've been doing maybe 50kph. They eventually put a concrete divider in the road to prevent people from randomly crossing but now they just ride the wrong way. *Shrug*...