Ex-pat Insider 2022 by InterNations says Thailand is an affordable, friendly destination for Ex-pats, 8th best in world

webfact

"Housing is no trouble either, and Thailand also lands in first place in this subcategory.".........Really?  Cannot own a house or most other property.  That's a big negative! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

But, but, Thailand seems to ranks itself constantly near no. 1 for digital nomads

I would generally say that digital nomads are in a different category than expats.  Housing stability is much more important, and cost of transient accommodations is less critical for a resident expat.  Many things are much easier in Mexico, Portugal, and Spain compared to Thailand in that regard; can't really speak to the other countries.  

A few places that used to be high on these lists have become less stable recently (Costa Rica and Panama come to mind)... but then again crime/homicide is way up in much of Mexico.

Personally I would pick Thailand 8 times out of 10... but I can see how a few things would really take disproportionate energy to resolve.

• Like 2

it's surprising that neighbouring countries can fare that much.

Why Indonesia, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam Singapore but not Japan and Hong Kong?

Why Portugal, Spain but not Italy, Malta, Cyprus, Turkey?

Why UAE but not Kuwait?

Why Australia but not N Zealand?

That doesn't sound correct

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand only lands in a  mediocre 35th place in the Quality of Life Index.

not everyone can be 1st, they need 2nd's as well  and also need "mediocracy" at 35th 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

I concur, once you pass the annoying BS and strange things in this country, all in all, and dollar for dollar, its not a bad place to be in, otherwise i wouldn't be here as long as i have...

I have been here in Thailand for about 15 years, and bad as this country is to tourists and expats with an unelected PM and his soldiers, the UK is much, much worse.

I am just back in Thailand after spending 3 months in the UK.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Not from what I read here!

A lot depends on how an expat is described.

An expat generally is a foreigner not living in their own country, but does that mean working or retired? 

If the expat is retired that is one class of expat.

If he is working however, is he working for an offshore company, an onshore local company, or is he working for himself or as a contractor to an on or off shore company?

Is he on a salary plus expenses, part per diem, full per diem or paying his own way.

All of those choices affect the expats way of life. How long is the expat going to stay in the country is anther choice.

When I first worked in Thailand I worked for a US company on salary, o/t plus full expenses for about 3 months. When I came back a year later I was on a 3 month assignment which gave me the choice of full expenses or full per diem I was extended another 3 months and was given full per diem which meant that I was paying for everything.

The expat package came in after a 1 year extension and included the sale or rental of my UK home, my family could join me, all international school fees etc would be paid here in Thailand and the company would have tried to find my wife a job.

This is the problem when people talk about expats without understanding what an expat really is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I have been here in Thailand for about 15 years, and bad as this country is to tourists and expats with an unelected PM and his soldiers, the UK is much, much worse.

I am just back in Thailand after spending 3 months in the UK.

Well maybe at least those tourists and expats from the UK, having read this on the BBC, just don't realize that, as you say, the PM is 'unelected':

Thai parliament elects ex military government chief Prayuth as PM
Published 6 June 2019

Retired general Prayuth Chan-ocha, the man who led a military coup in Thailand five years ago, has been elected as the country's civilian prime minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48537664

• Confused 1

Mexico would have been much easier for me.  I can speak it a little. It was just a few hour flight.  Tropical.
Cheap.  Didn't lock down.

Just much prefer the Asian culture to the Mexican culture.  Personal preference, nothing else.  

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

InterNations are so full of sh***! They send you email offers for a 'bank account for expats', but, once you apply, you're told 'sorry, only available for residents in Europe'...

I used to see their advertisements pop up and the expats they had in their photos for meet ups were the exact sort of people I came to Thailand to avoid.

• Like 1