Ex-pat Insider 2022 by InterNations says Thailand is an affordable, friendly destination for Ex-pats, 8th best in world

webfact

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I think younger people (and people with a younger outlook on life) enjoy Thailand much more than most of the retirees on this forum. 

Going by the complaining from a lot of people on here I wonder why they are even living here.

Personally I love living in Bangkok.   

Hah. A lot of your "younger outlook on life" types are on Twitter. Aside from posting pictures of their bottles of beer, which seems to be their main activity, you should read the complaints. They complain about the people sitting next to them, roads being wet when it rains, their work--they really hate their work and let everyone know. Collectively, they're the most miserable people I've ever seen in Thailand.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Elected by who???? Definitely not the Thai people, and these are the ones who matter. I have told you before, I will not get involved in a debate with any of the very small TV/AN posters who think it is OK for some soldier to topple an elected government against the wishes of the Thai people.

If you come on here and answer me with more of your nonsense, you will be ignored except for the occasional time to let give vast majority of TV/AN posters a good laugh at your comments.

The nonsense was a quote from the BBC.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Hah. A lot of your "younger outlook on life" types are on Twitter. Aside from posting pictures of their bottles of beer, which seems to be their main activity, you should read the complaints. They complain about the people sitting next to them, roads being wet when it rains, their work--they really hate their work and let everyone know. Collectively, they're the most miserable people I've ever seen in Thailand.

That's definitely a false claim.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

I concur, once you pass the annoying BS and strange things in this country, all in all, and dollar for dollar, its not a bad place to be in, otherwise i wouldn't be here as long as i have...

dollar maybe try living there with euro..

• Like 1

ok lets look at this the euro is terrible exchange against the baht..im currently in france for a few months im living cheaper here than in thailand..beer ..wine ..water ..meat al cheaper my shopping bill here at supermarket is lower than home in thailand and better quality..never thought id say it ..ok housing..fuel. and domestic bill higher im not questioning that but shopping 1 million %

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I think younger people (and people with a younger outlook on life) enjoy Thailand much more than most of the retirees on this forum. 

Going by the complaining from a lot of people on here I wonder why they are even living here.

Personally I love living in Bangkok. 

The younger ones are soo self-obsessed, narcissistic, delusion clowns.....you might be right.

The older guys know you can't complain when you shut off the computer.  Smile, deal with the craziness outside.   BUT we can vent online, and that allows dealing with the 10 bikers on the sidewalk going the wrong way while carrying 87 bicycles and juggling 28 dogs.

We aren't really complaining, just venting the only way we can.   What are we going to do?  Complain to a Thai.  lol

I've met about 50 young kids.  All lost, 98% went home after partying.  So, yes, that is more "fun" in a general definition.  Not ONE of them had a CV worth the paper it was written on.

I think I'm bi-polar (but not really).   I'm super happy or absolutely frustrated that I'm frustrated after knowing I'll get frustrated.   

I do interact with lots of people every day, so I can't be debbie downer.   But sometimes it's fun to act online like things are CRAZY.  When, in reality, boredom.   

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well maybe at least those tourists and expats from the UK, having read this on the BBC, just don't realize that, as you say, the PM is 'unelected':

Thai parliament elects ex military government chief Prayuth as PM
Published 6 June 2019

Retired general Prayuth Chan-ocha, the man who led a military coup in Thailand five years ago, has been elected as the country's civilian prime minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48537664

AFAIR he was selected by the Senate (who had handpicked himself and they were NOT elected) and their 250 combined with that of the largest remaining party, the PPRP along with their party list MPs accepted Prayuth as an 'outsider" PM,

Without the party list votes the PPRP was NOT the largest party, the PTP was and if they went into a coalition with the FFP would have been the largest party and would have selected the PM. However Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit was stripped of his MP status and the FFP was disbanded by the Election Commission on spurious grounds.

So whilst the BBC were technically correct, Thai politics is NOT the same as Western politics. They also did NOT complete the full oath of allegiance before the king, but that didn't really seem to matter.

The fixes are already starting for the next election, but IMHO it will not be so easy for the PPRP and Prayuth to win this time.

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

InterNations are so full of sh***! They send you email offers for a 'bank account for expats', but, once you apply, you're told 'sorry, only available for residents in Europe'...

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

it's surprising that neighbouring countries can fare that much.

Why Indonesia, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam Singapore but not Japan and Hong Kong?

Why Portugal, Spain but not Italy, Malta, Cyprus, Turkey?

Why UAE but not Kuwait?

Why Australia but not N Zealand?

That doesn't sound correct

I suspect that they only surveyed their clients. The number surveyed in each country will skew the result. If for example, they only have half a dozen clients in Malta or Cyprus it only takes a couple with an issue to put the country at the bottom of the list - it also of course is affected by the demographics of their group in each country. For example I have heard anecdotally many times that New Zealand is a great place to bring up young children, but I suspect that few with young families will have the time, inclination or money to play with a company like InterNations, so the two grumpy old men who responded have the floor!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

But how many believe the BBC any more?

This was a synopsis of Thailand as provided

by www.internations.org/expat-insider.

Where does it indicate that the electoral status of the current PM is of any concern to tourists and expats. Probably a good chunk of the interviewed tourists and expats could not even tell who is the current Thai PM let alone his electoral status.

Graphic_Expat-Insider-2022_Thailand.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

This was a synopsis of Thailand as provided

by www.internations.org/expat-insider.

Where does it indicate that the electoral status of the current PM is of any concern to tourists and expats. Probably a good chunk of the interviewed tourists and expats could not even tell who is the current Thai PM let alone his electoral status.

Graphic_Expat-Insider-2022_Thailand.jpg

The tourist I can almost understand though if they cannot use the internet to search for Thailand, then they shouldn't be allowed out without their Mummies.

Having been an expat of various sorts in over 30 countries in my working life, I find that if the "expat" has little or no idea of the country that they are going to, then they shouldn't even be considered for expat status or the job.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

The tourist I can almost understand though if they cannot use the internet to search for Thailand, then they shouldn't be allowed out without their Mummies.

Having been an expat of various sorts in over 30 countries in my working life, I find that if the "expat" has little or no idea of the country that they are going to, then they shouldn't even be considered for expat status or the job.

Whatever you may find, level of satisfaction with the current government was not part of the survey.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

ok lets look at this the euro is terrible exchange against the baht..im currently in france for a few months im living cheaper here than in thailand..beer ..wine ..water ..meat al cheaper my shopping bill here at supermarket is lower than home in thailand and better quality..never thought id say it ..ok housing..fuel. and domestic bill higher im not questioning that but shopping 1 million %

I doubt you are living cheaper if your housing, fuel, and domestic bills are higher there.  Those three expenses likely cost more than your savings on water, beer, wine, and meat.  (Is water really that much cheaper there?)

The InterNations definition of expat is a skilled professional on a professional assignment, hence the positive scores on living costs.

Retirees, nomads, entrepreneurs, those who go abroad and start a business or find a job, and wanderers paint quite a different picture.