Duty requested by DHL/Customs for hearing aid repair under warranty.

Searat7

Not sure where to post this. Before leaving USA I needed to have warranty repair done on one of my hearing aids but it did not come back on time so they shipped it to me in Bangkok via DHL and now Customs is demanding 3,454 baht for duty. I have the original bill of sale and matching hearing aid with me. Do I have any recourse to get this charge dropped ?  DHL is supposed to talk to Customs but I know how those things go. I do not know value entered by shipper which should have been ZERO.

• Like 1

Isn't there a scam thing going on with DHL.

I would say there needs to be some direct talking to both parties and you sending by email a copy of your receipt. 

22 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

I have the original bill of sale and matching hearing

• Like 1

Could this be related to the 7% VAT that is charged, even on goods that are zero rated. for customs duty Maybe the OP could advise on listed cost of the hearing aid. 

I have imported a number of notebooks, both new and repaired from UK via DHL over the years and only ever been charged the VAT element. Have always found DHL to offer an excellent service on imported items.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

I am no expert on this subject, but I have had to deal with this two times this year. My stuff came over by UPS. Two weeks ago, I had 6 brand new shirts shipped here and for whatever reason, the sender put the value as $1.00. So my package ended up in customs. I was explained that since the shirts were brand new and the sender was a company that I purchased them from, that I had to pay the proper custom fees. I was also told that if the shirts where worn by me and a friend sent them, then the value could be listed at $1.00, as they were not new. Once I gave all the information to the UPS Rep they got with customs and I had to pay the custom fees at delivery (COD). So my suggestion to you is, let the DHL Rep know that the hearing aid is not brand new and you did not just buy it. Also give them a copy of the paperwork showing that you just had them repaired. That they are no longer valued the same as they were, when they were brand new. DHL will advise customs, as they are representing you and see what happens. You might have to give them a reduced value on the items, but let them know there is no paperwork to back it up. It's worth a try. Good luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PPGuy said:

Could this be related to the 7% VAT that is charged, even on goods that are zero rated. for customs duty Maybe the OP could advise on listed cost of the hearing aid. 

I have imported a number of notebooks, both new and repaired from UK via DHL over the years and only ever been charged the VAT element. Have always found DHL to offer an excellent service on imported items.

I think this is for computers and computer parts - zero import duty, 7% VAT.  I don't know the rate for hearing aids but you can google it. I would guess anywhere between 10 and 30%.  First find the harmonized customs HS code for hearing aids.  Then look up the Thai import duty rate.  VAT is applicable to the landed cost including import duty, insurance and freight.

2 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I am no expert on this subject, but I have had to deal with this two times this year. My stuff came over by UPS. Two weeks ago, I had 6 brand new shirts shipped here and for whatever reason, the sender put the value as $1.00. So my package ended up in customs. I was explained that since the shirts were brand new and the sender was a company that I purchased them from, that I had to pay the proper custom fees. I was also told that if the shirts where worn by me and a friend sent them, then the value could be listed at $1.00, as they were not new. Once I gave all the information to the UPS Rep they got with customs and I had to pay the custom fees at delivery (COD). So my suggestion to you is, let the DHL Rep know that the hearing aid is not brand new and you did not just buy it. Also give them a copy of the paperwork showing that you just had them repaired. That they are no longer valued the same as they were, when they were brand new. DHL will advise customs, as they are representing you and see what happens. You might have to give them a reduced value on the items, but let them know there is no paperwork to back it up. It's worth a try. Good luck

If you sent them one by one by mail declared at under 1,500 each, there would be no tax to pay.  Nothing wrong with DHL if you need something urgently and don't mind pay through the nose or cannot take a somewhat higher risk of loss but it costs a lot more in terms of shipping cost and tax as well as sometimes time dealing with the local office. Otherwise send by mail. Kept parcels and values low and they will come to your door tax free.

• Like 2

Had exact same problem with a hearing aid repair and DHL in New Zealand

Except they demanded the equivalent of B9,900.

Just their error inputting it into the NZ customs classification

Your problem is probably the same, input error.

DHL refused to correct, I refused to pay, we already had the repaired aid so we left it up to DHL to sort.

Pay by MasterCard then you can raise a dispute when Customs and 'you know who' contrive a charge that trebles the cost and will rip open packages and demand doctors letters to increase the cost even more. Unfortunately the only recourse you have with this scam is to 'return to sender'

Best to purchase in Thailand whenever you can.

DHL, in anticipatory obedience, always charges fees or customs duties!

I buy now for 15 years regularly online!

Packages from China, USA, Greece, Turkey, etc. were NEVER occupied with customs or other costs!

With NO shipper!

Exception: Always with DHL!

Some things I then had to release at customs in Laem Chabang itself ;-( 

If there is only DHL as a possibility for shipping, I renounce the purchase!!!

• Like 2

Looks as DHL strikes again.

You'll need a reciept for repairs or similar for warranty work and bring it to customs along with the original bill of sale. 

Seems as they are charging fees for a new pair of hearing aids.

If you have time go to the customs house and sort it out in person.  Bring your wife or someone else who speaks Thai.  It worked out for me with a similar delivery from DHL.

AVOID DHL! 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

If there is only DHL as a possibility for shipping, I renounce the purchase!!!

Me too.

I have lived here for 22 years and the scam is always DHL.

They are getting more greedy.

Friend and next door neighbour buys games on-line.

Always says 'Please do not use DHL'

Latest one last week used DHL.

Game had just under 4,000 baht tax demand - it is tax exempt.

There was also a 2,000 baht processing charge for handling the 'illegal' tax.

The weight of the game was detailed on the documents (and weighs in) at 1.9 kilos. They are charging tax on 3.9 kilos.

He has written to the supplier and the head of DHL worldwide but he is not expecting any changes. He has supplied the people at HO with a copy of the official custom's tax rules.

As a comparison, he has just had a notification from the post office on paying tax on another game - which is taxable. (It contains model figures.)

350 baht tax demand by the post office.

4 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Tax isn't charged by weight.

I've had Thai Royal Mail charge me tax on individual items in a box plus the weight of the entire goods so effectively I was being taxed twice on those items. The tax on the individual items was based on "estimated" values - I challenged the valuations and provided the actual values by producing the original receipts. I also pointed out that the bulk of the weight of the box was made up of personal documents which should not attract any import duty.

Result? Pay up or you don't get the box.

They can do whatever they want, up to you if you want the goods or not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Tax isn't charged by weight.

It is by DHL.

Bear in mind that this is an illegal 'tax'.

No receipts available.

No emails answered.

Just a demand and conversations by phone only.

The goods will ONLY be released on payment of 'tax'.