Jatukam

soundman

Just popped into 7/11 & it seems the corporate giants have decided to profit from Jatukam madness.

You can buy your Jatukam from any store with prices ranging from 250B - 1000B in a range of styles and colours. You can pay by all popular cards.

And here's the kicker.

All come officially blessed by Pra Ruang Bpoo Hong.

Where's it going to end? Have the corporate's jumped on the caboose after the last stop?

Cheers,

Soundman.

If I could only unlock the key to the Thai herd instinct, I would be a billionaire. They make lemmings and sheep look like free thinking individualists.

However, when a fad builds up this kind of momentum, it usually vanishes as quick as it appeared.

(Yellow shirts being the exception to the rule of course)

Remember pet rocks?

How about this:  Reported in the Daily Telegraph (UK) today - i kid you not:_

Not verbatum:  amulets being sold in Thailand are having their value greatly increased as the Thai Airforce is taking the clay used inside the pendant up on flights (wait for it) ...... as it is believed that flying with the clay gives it extra powers. :o

Maybe thats why ferangs have special powers of being able to think :D

You know, I witnessed a wonderful thai-way face loss last night. The gf had proudly purchased one of these ludicrous, uneven bar-coasters for me, only to be told that I would sooner dispatch it, discus-style, to kill the idiot who blessed it with the intention to be worn (a-la-albatross) around one's neck. She, no doubt, intended to prove that I know nothing of thai culture and fashion by discussing my attitude with the (Thai) manager of a local business, whereupon she was told be he (who cannot be called into question, being such a hi-so Thai) that such garb is only worn by "stupid people who have no brain".

I think that she now rues those thai language lessons of yesteryear that allowed me to relish the loss of face in real time... :o

I'm glad Western society doesn't get addicted to ludicrous fads like this, I mean at least a yoyo went up and down.

Not all Thais approve though.

Phra Payom introduces temple-made cookies: Chatu Kham

Move over Oreo cookies. Here come Jatukham Rammathep, the edible series.

Pra Prayom Kallayano, abbot of Wat Suankaew Temple in Nonthaburi, announced Friday that he has released this eatable version - temple-made Chatu Kham cookies.

The outspoken monk was poking fun at the Buddhist Sangkha, the entire community and the laymen who have been being caught up in the Jatukram Rammathep craze.

His series, Chatu Kham, which loosely translated as "four bites", was revealed to the public on Friday. Each can has four round, palm-size cookies. One side has Sanskrit script imprinted on it and Chatu Kham on the other side.

Pra Prayhom questioned this latest craze and argued that this fascination was not exactly compatible with the essence of Buddhism.

You know, I witnessed a wonderful thai-way face loss last night. The gf had proudly purchased one of these ludicrous, uneven bar-coasters for me, only to be told that I would sooner dispatch it, discus-style, to kill the idiot who blessed it with the intention to be worn (a-la-albatross) around one's neck. She, no doubt, intended to prove that I know nothing of thai culture and fashion by discussing my attitude with the (Thai) manager of a local business, whereupon she was told be he (who cannot be called into question, being such a hi-so Thai) that such garb is only worn by "stupid people who have no brain".

I think that she now rues those thai language lessons of yesteryear that allowed me to relish the loss of face in real time... :D

:o:D

I'm glad Western society doesn't get addicted to ludicrous fads like this, I mean at least a yoyo went up and down.

Not all Thais approve though.

Phra Payom introduces temple-made cookies: Chatu Kham

Move over Oreo cookies. Here come Jatukham Rammathep, the edible series.

Pra Prayom Kallayano, abbot of Wat Suankaew Temple in Nonthaburi, announced Friday that he has released this eatable version - temple-made Chatu Kham cookies.

The outspoken monk was poking fun at the Buddhist Sangkha, the entire community and the laymen who have been being caught up in the Jatukram Rammathep craze.

His series, Chatu Kham, which loosely translated as "four bites", was revealed to the public on Friday. Each can has four round, palm-size cookies. One side has Sanskrit script imprinted on it and Chatu Kham on the other side.

Pra Prayhom questioned this latest craze and argued that this fascination was not exactly compatible with the essence of Buddhism.

What's next?

Jatukam pizza's? Four Corners special. Life, wealth, security & happiness?

Soundman.

Just popped into 7/11 & it seems the corporate giants have decided to profit from Jatukam madness.

I'm saving up for the soon-to-be-released sixteen rabbits feet / six horseshoe version that I can hang around my neck on a stout chain with a purple-died ostrich leather dog leash - so I can be somebodies b1tch. I quit thinking for myself in 1991 when Sid Viscious died.

Thanks anyways wolfmanjack,but I'm not looking for any pirated cheap western imitations.

Perish the thought :o

It would be made by my thai workers. :D Does that count for anything :D

Almost all of the ones produced here can be considered imitations. The only that would be considered original would be the first one made. The rest are just other temples and 7/11 jumping on the band wagon.

Didn't I read somewhere that the Royal Thai Air Force are now cashing in on the craze? They take Jatukam amulets with them in their fighters (?) and sell them for an inflated price back on terra firma!! Or are they hanging them from the rear view mirror in the cockpit?

90% of my office workers weare those amulets.

I ask the what it supposed to help them with.

Some say more money others say more lucky.

And are you I ask.

And you get the usual Thai smile.

This is Thailand I suppose.

Take care all, I am looking for a Jatukam 1 meter in diameter to wear, just to show off.

Edited by AlexLah

Why not allow people their indulgences. They don't hurt anyone and they don't hurt the wearer. Animism is de-facto a very strong religious force in Thailand, and deserves the same respect as any other religion. For sure it's no more ludicrous than the crap Roman Catholics manage to wear. Hey, let's stick a freaking fish to the back of your car why don't you.

.....As to the 'why'..... It could be that many people feel there's threats, instability and chaos on the horizon. They can't really do anything against it other than to seek refuge in long ingrained animist ways.

Some things start as fad but sure go on for a long time. Think Rama 5, that too started as a craze but proved very long lasting.

Why not allow people their indulgences. They don't hurt anyone and they don't hurt the wearer. Animism is de-facto a very strong religious force in Thailand, and deserves the same respect as any other religion. For sure it's no more ludicrous than the crap Roman Catholics manage to wear. Hey, let's stick a freaking fish to the back of your car why don't you.

.....As to the 'why'..... It could be that many people feel there's threats, instability and chaos on the horizon. They can't really do anything against it other than to seek refuge in long ingrained animist ways.

Some things start as fad but sure go on for a long time. Think Rama 5, that too started as a craze but proved very long lasting.

Hi Chanchao.........Your right. That was a really good post. It's all about faith...in whatever. It's wrong to knock someone's beliefs just because they're different. But there's nothing wrong in a bit of well-placed and gentle humour, whether it be Catholic, Jew, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or even Born Again Christian. I know what you mean about that freaking fish!!