Non-Imm O with notarized letter of pension

i have always done the Non-Imm O-A in my home country which accepts a notarized pension letter as proof of income.  i am considering a visa exempt arrival and getting my Non-Imm O in country.  will they accept my notarized pension letter in country? (our embassy no longer does this in thailand) or will i have to open a thai bank account?

the non-imm O-A also requires a full year worth of insurance.  if i get the non-imm O in country am i still required to get the insurance?

thank you all...

No insurance required for non O obtained in Thailand and no insurance for annual extensions.

You will need to use money in bank method. 

Obviously you need a bank account and this is difficult with visa exempt entry.

Suggest you use an agent for the bank account. 

Your 30 day visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days to gain time if required. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I too will enter TH from the USA visa exempt, or Tourist Visa due to the now onerous restrictions of obtaining a Non O within the USA (primarily Insurance cost).

Since I will soon have the required 12 month deposits into K Bank, what will I need at immigration for the “pension method” for the Non O within Thailand?

Is the first Non O applied for a 90 day (then extend), or a full year stamp?

Cheers

16 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

I too will enter TH from the USA visa exempt, or Tourist Visa due to the now onerous restrictions of obtaining a Non O within the USA (primarily Insurance cost).

Since I will soon have the required 12 month deposits into K Bank, what will I need at immigration for the “pension method” for the Non O within Thailand?

Cheers

It is a two step process - first you apply at Thai Immigration for the Non-Immigrant O Visa which needs to be done at least 15 days before your permission to stay ends or 21 depending on the Immigration Office used.  Once issued, it gives you a 90 day permission to stay. After 60 days, you then apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement.

You mention having 12 month deposit in Kasikorn bank -- unfortunately, to do the first step you will need the full 800k in a Thai bank OR an embassy letter attesting to the pension income - the US Embassy no longer issues such letters, so showing you deposited the required 65k per month will not qualify to get the Visa.     However, it can be used when applying for the one year extension.

• Haha 1

My wife, a Thai national, and I, a US citizen, after residing for many years in the US, will be moving to Thailand. I will enter Thailand with a Non-immigrant O visa and at the appropriate time apply for a 1-Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage, popularly know as a Marriage Visa. The monetary requirement for doing so in the case of being a family member, spouse in my case, of a Thai national, according to the information on the website of the Royal Thai Consulate, Los Angeles, is as follows.

In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must have no less than ฿400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year and must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or must earn an average annual income of no less than ฿40,000 per month and must attach documents such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, etc. proving that the alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than ฿40,000 throughout the year,

If I understand correctly, based on the above, to meet the monetary requirement for said visa, all I need to do is provide an income verification statement from the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio, which they provide routinely, verifying that I earn more than ฿40,000 per month; in fact, I earn more than ฿140,000 per month. It would be no problem to have said statement notarized, but I see no requirement to do so.

I would appreciate any comments which substantiate, or question, my understanding as detailed above.

6 minutes ago, sidleonard said:

If I understand correctly, based on the above, to meet the monetary requirement for said visa, all I need to do is provide an income verification statement from the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio, which they provide routinely, verifying that I earn more than ฿40,000 per month; in fact, I earn more than ฿140,000 per month. It would be no problem to have said statement notarized, but I see no requirement to do so.

The info shown on the LA consulate  is not correct. You cannot rely on any info on a embassy or consulate website for info about extensions of stay issued by immigration.

You will have to prove your income by showing transfers into a Thai bank from abroad to prove your monthly income. Some offices may accept 2 or 3 months of transfers for the first ever extension of stay application but many will want 12 months of transfers.

Until 2019 you could of done a affidavit at the US embassy to prove your income but they stopped issuing them in December of 2018.

Hummmm, I held a retirement visa for years here until Thailand stopped accepting the affidavit. I flew back in on a tourist visa a week ago and promptly went to the immigration dept. and asked what I needed for a retirement visa. I knew the guy. He filled out all the paperwork to help me get a bank account opened. Walked into the bank and after a few trees were destroyed opened it with no problem. Love the new apps for transferring and paying bills..  

I am chuckling at the rules you guys have posted above... we will see how it turns out.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 2

happy to provide you with some entertainment...

the affidavit went away only because the US embassy in Thailand quit doing it (or so i am told).  so, if i can get the embassy here to complete it then i can bring it with me.  i am just not wanting to transfer in to a thai bank if i don't have too...

On 7/22/2022 at 2:16 AM, PumpkinEater said:

Cheers

I don't know what immigration office you use, but Chaeng Wattana in Bangkpk does not accept 12 months of THB 65,000 to support the issuance of a Non O.  They will only accept THB 800,000 in a Thai banl.

You can renew a Non O with monthly THB 65,000 or THB 800,000 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TimLMT said:

happy to provide you with some entertainment...

the affidavit went away only because the US embassy in Thailand quit doing it (or so i am told).  so, if i can get the embassy here to complete it then i can bring it with me.  i am just not wanting to transfer in to a thai bank if i don't have too...

US embassy would not guarantee it was correct. Just stamp it. Plus the Thai government wanted the money in the bank.  Too bad really, Thailand used to be a great place for us old worn out expats to live cheap. Still is dirt cheap , but the rules have gotten pretty rediculious. I just blow in here once every few years to visit friends. Nice to have a one year extension so not in a hurry. After that I head out to greener pastures.. Best of luck to ya.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1