Buying second hand laptop in pattaya

Sqoop

I wondered whether the expat community could suggest good places to buy a secondhand laptop in pattaya. I just want to have a cheap Linux machine to supplement my existing laptop. I don't want to pay new prices. I just wondered where they stock them ? Any experience out there ? 

3 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Lets face it, why are they for sale?

Wrong addressee :biggrin:

I am not interested in used laptops.

But I can comprehend the OPs interest.

What a waste these devices are.

Four years old? Come on, to the bin.

Only 2 GHz? Creeping.

I started my professional career with 8085, 8086 :biggrin:

Sounds like a tale from History Channel.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sqoop said:

But selected carefully they can suit my needs 

There was really no need to respond to the obvious Trolls. You obtain what suits your needs, rather than their sensibilities.

The Latitude described earlier will easily run the latest OS smoothly, especially with an inexpensive SSD within.

I bought a laptop that originally cost 47,000 baht; for 3,000.

https://notebookspec.com/notebook/5047-dell-latitude-e6330-v7263301th.html

It even has a fingerprint reader. The build is solid and it is designed for easy modification. Swapping storage drives takes literally seconds. Consumer designs often have to be taken apart for simple maintenance. 

• Thanks 1

Get at least an i5 4th Gen as these PCs will have USB3.0. Some laptops and desktop before 4th Gen mostly have USB2.0 and maybe a single USB3.0.

4th Gen, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD on Linux Mint / Ubuntu should last years until some hardware fails.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Most 2nd hand laptops are for sale because:

They are outdated

Have charging issues

Can not handle user requirements

Etc

true you get what you pay for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   buy new 

Facebook Marketplace.    I love used stuff, you can find amazing value; HOWEVER, not when it comes to laptops.   If the budget is around 5000, then I guess who cares you can experiment.   Over 10,000.....never used.  never.  

Nobody sells a laptop with zero issues.  lol.  That means more time, and more money, and headaches.

cheap Linux.....find one from an ex-hacker, CIA, undercover operative MIA or KIA.....

remember, don't buy one from North Korea!!!

24 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

I have just looked around tucom at the battered second hand laptops on offer. I have to agree, the used machines look pricey and they also look as though they suffered through a tornado. ????

I told you to not bother going there  Old and overpriced consumer quality devices.

Go to pick up a business quality device for 4 to 5k. 

If you want something new and shiny, buy new.

38 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I agree with members who advise against buying secondhand electronics, especially when base model devices are so cheap. 

Give an example of an alternative to a 2014 Dell Latitude E6330 for 2900 baht.

What base model would you suggest? With SSD if you please.

Cheap consumer base model will likely not allow you to fit an SSD without voiding the warranty.

So suggest what I should have bought instead of spending 2.9k on a second hand business quality device with a fingerprint reader. 600 baht more for a SSD that was inserted in seconds. So, 3.5k.

Look forward to your actual base model suggestions.

I note that not even a single one of the naysayers has actually suggested what the OP should buy, other than "new".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VBF said:

The OP says  "....cheap Linux machine to supplement my existing laptop."

Linux, generally, needs less resource than Windows so a PC that is no longer much use for Windows might work very well under Linux.

I've got an old Netbook with an Atom processor Intel Atom® Processor Family that was sold with Windows XP and struggled even under Windows 7, let alone 10 or 11!

It runs reasonably well using Cinnamon Mint Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"

I have a PC and have installed Linux on it. Works fine. If necessary could install a new HDD or SSD better then install Linux

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 3:09 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Most 2nd hand laptops are for sale because:

They are outdated

Have charging issues

Can not handle user requirements

Etc

Because they are knicked, pawned or sold by someone in dire need of money?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, VBF said:

I've got an old Netbook with an Atom processor Intel Atom® Processor Family that was sold with Windows XP and struggled even under Windows 7, let alone 10 or 11!

It runs reasonably well using Cinnamon Mint Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"

I have basically an old Chromebook about the same spec, and it runs Fedora XFCE well enough for surfing around, chatting, reading an e-book, and checking email when I'm traveling. Very light, and convenient to leave in the hotel room when I'm out with no cares if it's stolen. Take it! ????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, Sqoop said:

I just want to have a cheap Linux machine to supplement my existing laptop. I don't want to pay new prices. I just wondered where they stock them ?

Difficult. Best thing to do is get one from a reputable shop from Lazada and rated well. This one would do:

https://www.lazada.co.th/totalsolution/?q=All-Products&from=wangpu&langFlag=en&pageTypeId=2

Me, I'd get an old Thinkpad. Great builds, parts widely available, upgradable, still get lots of love on computer forums. Check a few threads here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/search?q=best+used+thinkpad&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

They typically run Linux well. Any problems have long been sorted out by Linux geeks. For example, this thread:

https://old.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/vsiq8c/how_many_of_you_guys_use_linux_or_windows_on/

If it comes w/ a DVD drive, you can lighten things up by just removing it, maybe even replacing it with an adapter for another SSD.

22 hours ago, tonypattaya said:

Crazy to buy second-hand laptops or computers. Technology has moved on so far.

It really depends what use they will be put to.

I bought my current laptop in 2015, it has an i7-4790k and GTX 980M with 8GB Video RAM, and it is still okay for most uses, except newer games.

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I have a PC and have installed Linux on it. Works fine. If necessary could install a new HDD or SSD better then install Linux

Only up to a point. A very old PC (a Pentium for example) will struggle with any modern Windows, plus may not have the onboard SATA controller for a modern disk drive, or the memory expansion capability. Such a PC might very well run Linux quite well.

12 hours ago, VBF said:

Only up to a point. A very old PC (a Pentium for example) will struggle with any modern Windows, plus may not have the onboard SATA controller for a modern disk drive, or the memory expansion capability. Such a PC might very well run Linux quite well.

Agreed the steam driven computers will struggle but I would not assume the buyer would by a computer from the Smithsonian

• Haha 2

Only real down-side to second hand machines these days is the risk of BIOS Virus or Rootkit.  So even if you completely wipe the hard disk, write zeros to it and then re-format and install OS of your choice, you will still have the virus.  Running Linux reduces that chance as most of the Viruses will only infect Windoze machines, but there is still a risk.

These are primarily 'ransomeware' viruses.

For a simple web-browsing computer as the OP seems to be looking for, it's okay.  Personally I would avoid doing online banking or similar on a 2nd hand machine that who-knows-what cracked illegal software was on beforehand, which is one of the top vectors for Virus infection.

3 hours ago, n8sail said:

Only real down-side to second hand machines these days is the risk of BIOS Virus or Rootkit.  So even if you completely wipe the hard disk, write zeros to it and then re-format and install OS of your choice, you will still have the virus. 

Risk of a hacked BIOS is infinitesimal on an old consumer laptop. As for the drive, if you're that paranoid you'd boot from a separate boot disk/drive with a rootkit scanner and do a scan. 

Half the members on here have "free" Windows and a software package installed at a Thai shop. Not much of a worry, obviously.

Come to think of it, despite all our experts continually sounding their alarms here, I don't recall any member complaining, justifiably, a Thai shop had installed a virus on his machine. It's always PLBKC. Still, a solution best avoided, I completely agree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, n8sail said:

Only real down-side to second hand machines these days is the risk of BIOS Virus or Rootkit.  So even if you completely wipe the hard disk, write zeros to it and then re-format and install OS of your choice, you will still have the virus.  Running Linux reduces that chance as most of the Viruses will only infect Windoze machines, but there is still a risk.

These are primarily 'ransomeware' viruses.

For a simple web-browsing computer as the OP seems to be looking for, it's okay.  Personally I would avoid doing online banking or similar on a 2nd hand machine that who-knows-what cracked illegal software was on beforehand, which is one of the top vectors for Virus infection.

I doubt that you have ever encountered a 'BIOS virus' in your whole life, let alone encountered one on a second hand device. Windows 98 anyone?

People seem to just take the opportunity to post the most ridiculous things they can think of that they have read and then put them in writing here.

Unless you are an activist or some such, forget about any such scenario. If you want to be sure, Kaspersky offers a Firmware Scanner.

• Confused 1