Thai police searching for monkeypox-infected Nigerian man

snoop1130

16 hours ago, Gaccha said:

The Health Minister's ability to be even worse than my low expectations of him are remarkable. 

I'll try to make this nice and simple for the Health Minister should he be reading this (my guess is he reads the Farang Pub forum to make his decisions). A disease that is almost impossible to spread except by actively trying to spread it, is not a disease that requires the person to lose their freedom. 

Of course, this point also applies to the equally stupid syphilis tests for work permits. There's no need to test for it, because it can't be transmitted at work or in public. The syphilitic ill person would need to be malicious in intent or beyond stupid.

Let's contrast with COVID-19. Spreads through the air. Is astonishigly transmissible; possibly the most transmissible virus ever known to man. Kills around 1% of those infected. Is frequently symptomless. And... can re- infect easily, collapse the healthcare system and cause chronic illness lasting 2 or more years. 

My only explanation is blunt racism. If you have the vivid imagination of a racist then you will believe a blackman will try to sleep with everything in sight. 

That comment is simply stupid. Both syphilis and small box can be transmitted. The government is correct in preventing people that have these diseases from infecting, for example, prostitutes. Apparently, our lefty woke friend Couldn’t care less about prostitutes health and he’s only worried about skin color. A black man, as you said, indeed slept with a girl the previous night. The problem with Lefties is that they don’t acknowledge reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Excel said:

That's the question, also raised elsewhere. It suggests that whilst he may be the first officially confirmed case he must have contracted it from someone .  If that is proved to be the case then Phuket could well be the epicenter of the outbreak in Thailand. Wonder how TAT will spin that one.  

It is reported in the U.K. that this virus is very active amongst the gay community maybe the powers to be should investigate and test the gay community in Phuket as he must of caught it from someone in the local community as he is on overstay for a long period of time 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

It is reported in the U.K. that this virus is very active amongst the gay community maybe the powers to be should investigate and test the gay community in Phuket as he must of caught it from someone in the local community as he is on overstay for a long period of time 

It would probably be prudent to instigate a wide series of tests

Another storm in a tea cup.

Monkey Pox can only be spread by direct skin to skin contact. Most (>90%) recorded infections are spread through gay sex. Maybe sex with lady boys is a risk factor.

Regardless, catching monkey pox is not  a concern for the majority of people in Thailand. Taking basic precautions to prevent HIV will also be effective against Monky Pox.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai police and health officials in Phuket are trying to trace the whereabouts of a Nigerian man, confirmed to be Thailand’s first monkeypox case, after he did not show up for treatment at a hospital and disappeared from his hotel in Phuket’s Patong area on Tuesday

I wonder why?

• Haha 1

"According to the police, the man arrived in Phuket on October 21st last year and had lived at a condominium in Kathu district since November. His visa has expired."

Are they saying that he arrived In October and 9 months later symptoms appear or has he caught it from someone who is already infected?

If that is the case then it's well and truly here!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Excel said:

That's the question, also raised elsewhere. It suggests that whilst he may be the first officially confirmed case he must have contracted it from someone . 

Yes, he must have, perhaps from from an infected person in Nigeria, or wherever he was previously.

18 hours ago, Gaccha said:

The Health Minister's ability to be even worse than my low expectations of him are remarkable. 

I'll try to make this nice and simple for the Health Minister should he be reading this (my guess is he reads the Farang Pub forum to make his decisions). A disease that is almost impossible to spread except by actively trying to spread it, is not a disease that requires the person to lose their freedom. 

Of course, this point also applies to the equally stupid syphilis tests for work permits. There's no need to test for it, because it can't be transmitted at work or in public. The syphilitic ill person would need to be malicious in intent or beyond stupid.

Let's contrast with COVID-19. Spreads through the air. Is astonishigly transmissible; possibly the most transmissible virus ever known to man. Kills around 1% of those infected. Is frequently symptomless. And... can re- infect easily, collapse the healthcare system and cause chronic illness lasting 2 or more years. 

My only explanation is blunt racism. If you have the vivid imagination of a racist then you will believe a blackman will try to sleep with everything in sight. 

This is incorrect. Both syphilis and monkey are spread via sex.

It's also possible to be infected with both illnesses and not have symptoms  especially syphilis.

People can be infected and infectious for years with syphilis without them knowing.

Monkey pox is currently mainly prevalent in the gay community.

Sexual health and testing has nothing to do with racism.

BUT Absconding without treatment is criminally irresponsible.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:
16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, he must have, perhaps from from an infected person in Nigeria, or wherever he was previously.

He has been in Thailand since October, are you saying he was an asymptomatic carrier since then....wow now that's an incubation period 

I'm saying that maybe he had it when he arrived here.  Are you saying that's not possible?

• Confused 2