Luggage checked through Vienna - Chiang Mai???

Barley

Hello,

I booked a flight at the end of August from Vienna to Chiang Mai on one ticket from Austrian Airlines.

Flight numbers are OS for Austrian Airlines to BKK, and PG for Bangkok Airways from BKK to CNX. Layover 2hrs 35 min.

Will my luggage be checked through from Vienna to Chiang Mai and will I be able to go through immigration and customs in Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok?

Thanks for your help.

100% confirmation is only possible when you check-in at VIE and look at your checked bag tags?  If the letters CNX are on the tag then yes.  If the tag only says BKK then probably not.  I had a rude awakening once many years ago when I took a Kuwait Airways from KWI to CNX.  Upon arrival at BKK I got off and had to clear immigration get my bag and then check-in again at Thai Smile.  

Have you contacted Austrian to get it confirmed? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barley said:

Will my luggage be checked through from Vienna to Chiang Mai and will I be able to go through immigration and customs in Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok?

No and no.

Happy to be proven wrong.

You change planes/airlines and BKK to CNX is a purely domestic flight.

Would you unveil the PG flight number?

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 hours ago, Barley said:

PG for Bangkok Airways from BKK to CNX

Bangkok Airways?

Well there were kind of transit flights through to Phuket and/or Samui during the "sandbox" times.

These PG flights were exclusive only for incoming international and you were tunneled to these flight (could not be booked as domestic).

I must admit I don't know whether such still exists (doubt it) and whether they did it to CNX (also doubt it).

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you have a single ticket for both legs you should be able to have your luggage checked through, as Bangkok Airways and Austrian are ‘participating carriers for through check baggage’.

See: https://www.bangkokair.com/through-check-in

When your luggage is checked through you’ll get through Immigration at Suvarnabhumi, and Customs in Chiang Mai.

Edited by damascase
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your link https://www.bangkokair.com/through-check-in - it explains a lot:

According to this information from Bangkok Airways I can check my luggage through (thanks for reminding me to check that they really do it at check in) and I will connect to domestic in the transfer area at BKK without going through immigration at Suvarnabhumi and go through customs and immigration at CNX.

Sounds great.

Is custom / immigration as they are in BKK or are they more easy going or more strict at CNX?

Edited by Barley