Where in Bangkok to service Lenovo laptop?

david_je

Several letter keys on Lenovo laptop keyboard no longer type out. Can anyone from experience recommend a professional, trustworthy repair shop in Bangkok? The Lenovo service center in IT Mall by Fortune Town said I need the laptop with them 7-14 days to check what problem is but I can't do without it for that long. Thanks.

I do not know if still true, but when I tried to get a consumer level Lenovo laptop still under warranty repaired 7 years ago, there were separate repair services for the "Pro-line, Think-Pad" computers and the "consumer level "Idea Pad" units.  The official Lenovo Service Center would not service an Idea Pad.

I had to take it to an Independent repair shop at Pantip Plaza that contracted to Lenovo for consumer level warranty repairs.

My mainboard was blown with one month warranty remaining.

The shop managed to "loose" my laptop for 2 months, then found and returned to me un-repaired.  They then had the audacity to say it was now out of warranty and could not be fixed. 

Took six months of letters, emails and threats to finally get it repaired and only because I had a friend who had an inside connection to Lenovo and provided the names of who to contact.

Edited by dddave

Almost certain that your keyboard is knackered. Has it had any liquids spilt on it? (usually the case).

To replace a keyboard takes about 15 mins max and replacements are easily sourced online. Cost wise, a replacement keyboard should be around 1000Bt.

An alternative if you trust no shop, is to buy a USB (or wireless) keyboard.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Almost certain that your keyboard is knackered. Has it had any liquids spilt on it? (usually the case).

To replace a keyboard takes about 15 mins max and replacements are easily sourced online. Cost wise, a replacement keyboard should be around 1000Bt.

An alternative if you trust no shop, is to buy a USB (or wireless) keyboard.

I didn't spill anything on it, etc. Just turned it on in morning and could no longer type those several letters.

I am using an external USB keyboard but it is too far from laptop screen and takes up lots of space, etc., so it is only temporary solution.

The Lenovo service center at IT Mall said they cannot order parts for that model because it is an older one. Can a non-Lenovo keyboard be put in its place?

Actually, I can't even know exactly what the problem is, whether it requires replacing the keyboard.

Thanks.

51 minutes ago, david_je said:

My laptop (bought seven years ago -- yes, need to replace) is no longer in warranty.

Have you used Blue Shop with good result?

Thanks.

I think Lenovo also repairs devices which are out of warranty - but obviously they charge for that.

I know Blue Shop since many years and I bought several ThinkPads in that shop.

I wanted to repair a hinge from the screen from one ThinkPad which is maybe 6 years old. They told me they are not able to get spare parts for that so I couldn't get it repaired.

For that reason I don't know how good they are with repairs. But the fact that they exist forever (I guess >10 years in that place) is a good sign. And I don't know any shop which I would prefer.

If you find a good ThinkPad repair shop then please post it here.

Also when they sell ThinkPads they take their time and let the customer do the basic setup and let them test the device in their shop. I am sure they also supply help for people who need it. So all in all I have a good impression from them.

14 hours ago, david_je said:

I didn't spill anything on it, etc. Just turned it on in morning and could no longer type those several letters.

I am using an external USB keyboard but it is too far from laptop screen and takes up lots of space, etc., so it is only temporary solution.

The Lenovo service center at IT Mall said they cannot order parts for that model because it is an older one. Can a non-Lenovo keyboard be put in its place?

Actually, I can't even know exactly what the problem is, whether it requires replacing the keyboard.

Thanks.

You can't use a non-Lenovo kbd as you almost certainly won't find one that fits in the hole and then all the connections would have to be identical. Copies are usually available on ebay and other auction type sites.

If you want to try something not involving a new keyboard, you could try repair installing Windows (I assume it is windows..) which would either fix it or at least prove the operating system is innocent. Another option is to create a free live USB of a Linux distro and try that. If the keyboard works properly using Linux, the finger can be firmly pointed at the Windows install.

The fact that the USB keyboard is working rather suggests that the windows install is ok and the old keyboard has a terminal fault and needs replacing.