Lost Passport - U.K

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The first thing you woulod do is go through the steps here. https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport

Also do a police report for your lost or stolen passport.

If needed you could apply for a emergency passport.

Thanks ubonjoe. The problem with that is you have to put in all your personal details and potentially have your passport cancelled before they advise you how it will be replaced and I'm not willing to risk having a perfectly good passport deleted. 

I was just wondering if anyone had already gone through the process to explain the procedure of receiving a replacement. Hopefully it will never happen but I did almost lose my passport at Udon Thani airport once so forewarned is forearmed. 

14 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

The problem with that is you have to put in all your personal details and potentially have your passport cancelled before they advise you how it will be replaced and I'm not willing to risk having a perfectly good passport deleted. 

I see, you prefer fraudsters to open a few bank accounts, launder money and be arrested at a random country in X years? Listen to the man and cancel it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

14 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

I was just wondering if anyone had already gone through the process to explain the procedure of receiving a replacement. Hopefully it will never happen but I did almost lose my passport at Udon Thani airport once so forewarned is forearmed. 

After doing the lost/stolen passport form and the police report you could apply at VFS for a replacement passport.

• Like 1

I replaced a stolen UK passport several years ago.  At that time the reporting of the loss was by a form rather than online.  The actual application was exactly the same as for a regular renewal with the addition of the lost or stolen form and a police report.  I did not have a copy of the lost passport but this did not present any issue with the application nor with the speed of the replacement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

At that time the reporting of the loss was by a form rather than online.

You do the form as part of the steps you go through online. Not sure but I think you will download it to show to VFS.

• Like 1

Related Anecdote.

Once upon a time in a country far, far away (OK Rome, Italy, just after 9/11) I had my UK passport stolen! (Along with my PC and other stuff, seems you can open a Fiat Punto with a blunt teaspoon).

• Trotted to the local cop-shop with an Italian friend and made a police report.
  • Hot footed it to the British Embassy with said police report.
  • Filled in a form, I had photos (Italy is as bad as Thailand for wanting photos).
  • Paid my xxxxx Lira.
  • Collected my new, 10 year, passport that afternoon.

Life really was simpler then.

EDIT Said passport wasn't "machine readable" which did cause me some issues with a certain "united" country I could mention :whistling:

34 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I replaced a stolen UK passport several years ago.  At that time the reporting of the loss was by a form rather than online.  The actual application was exactly the same as for a regular renewal with the addition of the lost or stolen form and a police report.  I did not have a copy of the lost passport but this did not present any issue with the application nor with the speed of the replacement.

Thanks Upnotover. That's comforting. 

42 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I see, you prefer fraudsters to open a few bank accounts, launder money and be arrested at a random country in X years? Listen to the man and cancel it.

Lol. Didn't read my second post above did you? I actually worked in anti money laundering for a major bank for several years so I'm quite aware of the dangers. For avoidance of doubt I haven't lost my passport, I was asking a hypothetical question.

Just now, Baht Simpson said:

Lol. Didn't read my second post above did you? I actually worked in anti money laundering for a major bank for several years so I'm quite aware of the dangers. For avoidance of doubt I haven't lost my passport, I was asking a hypothetical question.

If you actually worked there and knew the job you did, you would not have made the comment. No wonder money laundering is so big if it is run by people who ignore the basic importances. Thanks for wasting our time with your hypothetical question.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If you actually worked there and knew the job you did, you would not have made the comment. No wonder money laundering is so big if it is run by people who ignore the basic importances. Thanks for wasting our time with your hypothetical question.

What on earth are you talking about?

• Like 1

I have a photocopy of my passport- not just the ID page and latest visa but every page. The full  thing. I have two copies.

I have my ID page and latest visa copied in colour and reduced  to credit  card size. It's brilliant and accepted everywhere as ID.

I once lost my passport and duly reported it but was in the UK at the time. Its bad news because they might make problems if you lose another one.

Most people don't know you can have two passports BTW.

Until recently I had two - one for holiday travel and one for work.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I have a photocopy of my passport- not just the ID page and latest visa but every page. The full  thing. I have two copies.

I have my ID page and latest visa copied in colour and reduced  to credit  card size. It's brilliant and accepted everywhere as ID.

I once lost my passport and duly reported it but was in the UK at the time. Its bad news because they might make problems if you lose another one.

Most people don't know you can have two passports BTW.

Until recently I had two - one for holiday travel and one for work.

I didn't realize you could  have concurrent passports. I'll have to look at that. Thanks.