Toyota Fortuner

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is what aquaplaning is, loss of contact with the road surface due to the wheels riding on a layer of water.  It does not matter how many wheels are driven if they're not in contact with the road, and an aquaplaning wheel doesn't have that contact.   

I am aware that 4WD or AWD can be advantageous before the wheel loses contact with the road.

I'm also aware that is usually momentary and not like a long boat cruise.   I do know the advantage of 4WD having experience of an Audi S2, S6, Evo 4, STI, Discovery, Range Rover, Sport Rider and Fortuner.  

Back home I have an AWD Supra, it is terrible in the wet !!

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Well, it is a drivers' car....????

The only 4 wheel Supra I know of is one you would like, a one off custom made V12 twin turbo turning out close to a 1000 HP. ????????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The only 4 wheel Supra I know of is one you would like, a one off custom made V12 twin turbo turning out close to a 1000 HP. ????????

I know that car well, its an animal.

Mine is fairly mild in comparison, I kept the RB26 when the R34 AWD conversion was done does ok though, making 650hp at the wheels.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Personally I slow right down for large puddles. Avoids swerving and seems to please adjacent pedestrians and motorcyclists!

All very good.  I was referring to driving in the small roads in the country. Or even some large roads if it's raining hard. If you have ever done so you would know you can't see how deep they are or even how big, a lot of the time. I have been on main roads when it rains hard and roads can have a few inches of water just flowing across them. So you will either have to crawl along or take pot luck. If there's no one about likely on country roads. Just stick in 4X4 and you can go any speed you want, within reason, also a lot safer for all.

I also like to drive carefully in the 25 years+ I have lived here I have never had an accident. Must be some sort of record. 

• Like 1

If you don't need 4 x 4 don't get it will cost more money for something you not using, it also is a better ride without i had four Fortuner's over the years from the first one's to the latest they are ok over priced seeing as they are a converted pick-up and not a purpose built SUV 

• Thanks 1

The current model Fortuner 4WD system is not an All-Wheel-Drive system.

The Fortuner can be used in 2WD, 4W-High and 4W-Low.

2WD is the normal mode for high traction surfaces (that includes wet tarmac/concrete).

4WD-H is meant for low traction surfaces such as dirt roads and conditions of snow/ice on surfaced roads. The parameters of the electronic stability control (VSC) and traction control (A-TRC) are altered to allow more slip. Paradoxically using 4WD-H on high grip surfaces at high speed could result in less stability than 2WD.

4WD-L is for low speed off-roading. Diff locks on etc.

4WD does not help at all with aquaplaning but may help if you hit deep standing water asymmetrically at speed.

At the end of the day if you are not going off-road or on dirt roads then the Toyota 4WD probably a waste of money.

Keep in mind that the current Fortuner design is well past its sell-by date. Its an archaic design largely targeted at developing countries and based on the HiLux pickup.

Toyota have developed a completely new Fortuner based on their TNGA platform (Lexus LX, Tundra) to launch in 2023.

If you want maximum stability and traction on high-grip or mIxed surfaces then look for a car with a permanent automatic all-wheel drive system such as Subaru. 

• Like 2

5 months into having a new Fortuner. It's a lovely looking car and OK to drive, but is overpriced (ignoring the fact that it holds value well to offset that initial cost).

Pay more for folding mirrors. Pay more for front and rear recording cameras (even though it has a million cameras built in). No rain sensor on windscreen wipers. Have to use Android Auto or Apple Car thingy for things that are standard features on other cars (and wireless doesn't seem to work, so the wireless charging pad is pretty useless when you have to plug a cable in anyway). Not had to use 4WD as of yet so can't really comment on that.

I'm ultra critical of new cars (especially when they cost $60k and are mode in Thailand). Still glad I bought it, but my friend just bought a Nissan Terra and that seems to be a hell of a lot more car for the money (literally, as it's bigger too).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't like them at all. They are way too big, they guzzle gas like a drunken sailor guzzlers beer, and they seem to be designed for people with extra money, who are less practical. Tell the wife NO! 

My wife decides. I follow. She decided for the H-RV and for Papa's Revo (he liked a Ranger...). ????

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't like them at all. They are way too big, they guzzle gas like a drunken sailor guzzlers beer, and they seem to be designed for people with extra money, who are less practical. Tell the wife NO! 

1. I think your gas guzzling thing is way off.

2. Way too big, well, perhaps you are used to a hot hatch and don't need a bigger ride, or cannot deal with a larger vehicle.

3. They are designed for folk who want an SUV, the Fortuner is in the lower SUV price bracket for folk with money.

4. Your post revolves around.....Me, Me, Me (not me though)........... ????

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, transam said:

1. I think your gas guzzling thing is way off.

2. Way too big, well, perhaps you are used to a hot hatch and don't need a bigger ride, or cannot deal with a larger vehicle.

3. They are designed for folk who want an SUV, the Fortuner is in the lower SUV price bracket for folk with money.

4. Your post revolves around.....Me, Me, Me (not me though)........... ????

I agree with you T/A. I have a 2.8lt Tuna and it's great on fuel. Around 6lt = 100km.

Also has fab storage room. Have just obtained a large grass strimmer (see snap) that fitted on the back with out any problems. Although not as big as a Toyota pick up rear, it has plenty of room for my needs. 

The main thing I like it for is vision you can see above other cars makes safe driving even better.   

IMGP0008 (4).JPG

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Henryford said:

She will have to take a special test before she is allowed to buy/drive a Fortuner to prove she is an inconsiderate bas****.

Not all Tuna drivers are inconsiderate. Having driven in Thailand for over 25 years I have found the most inconsiderate drivers are Benz & BMW owners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I agree with you T/A. I have a 2.8lt Tuna and it's great on fuel. Around 6lt = 100km.

Also has fab storage room. Have just obtained a large grass strimmer (see snap) that fitted on the back with out any problems. Although not as big as a Toyota pick up rear, it has plenty of room for my needs. 

The main thing I like it for is vision you can see above other cars makes safe driving even better.   

IMGP0008 (4).JPG

You'll need a very flat lawn for that to be any use, i gave up with mine and got a coventional strimmer ( like the locals ), much better.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:46 AM, PJ71 said:

You'll need a very flat lawn for that to be any use, i gave up with mine and got a coventional strimmer ( like the locals ), much better.

Sorry but I have to disagree. I got it to cut the grass outside the house. Does it work well yes. Snap of grass??? outside before it was cut and another one after. Was thinking of getting a Thai type but having tried it in the shop the straps would have killed me. I don't do hard work. Normally pay a Thai man to do it, but he seemed to have gone on the missing list.  The one I got, you just wheel about. No effort required. I have changed the cutting blade to a single one, as even though the wheel type blade worked the single was better with the long grass? and other plants. Does it look like a bowling green??? well no. But it's fine for what I wanted to do. 

IMGP0009 (4).JPG

IMGP0001 (5).JPG

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry but I have to disagree. I got it to cut the grass outside the house. Does it work well yes. Snap of grass??? outside before it was cut and another one after. Was thinking of getting a Thai type but having tried it in the shop the straps would have killed me. I don't do hard work. Normally pay a Thai man to do it, but he seemed to have gone on the missing list.  The one I got, you just wheel about. No effort required. I have changed the cutting blade to a single one, as even though the wheel type blade worked the single was better with the long grass? and other plants. Does it look like a bowling green??? well no. But it's fine for what I wanted to do. 

IMGP0009 (4).JPG

IMGP0001 (5).JPG

Good stuff, you are correct about the straps.

The conventional Thai version is good for some shrubbery at height too.

Is that a blade or cable?

4 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Good stuff, you are correct about the straps.

The conventional Thai version is good for some shrubbery at height too.

Is that a blade or cable?

S/Steel blade. Not expensive they cost 120bht but I got two for free as I did a deal when I bought the strimmer. Yes I know the standard Thai: strimmer can be used to trim trees and bushes but the wife does those, I only want it for cutting the grass. I was hoping that she could do the grass with the new strimmer but having seen her perform with it for a few min: I took over. My Buddha she could kill someone. At least the two dogs I have, still have all their legs. Tails???  

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1