Toyota Fortuner

The wife has set her mind to buy a Fortuner 2023.

Apparently there is an order queue. 

She'll drive it like she drives our H-RV now. 

I don't like to drive in Thailand. I just ride my motocy.

She wonders if she should put X-tra baht into the 4W model.

We live in Isaan but don't really go off-road.

Any one here has an opinion about the Toyota Fortuner, 4W or not?

I am not a great fan of the Fortuner - having driven them a few times in the last few years. If your wife got everywhere she needed to go in her HR-V , I doubt whether she would ‘need’ 4WD.

The 4WD may be safer - having better traction - but for normal driving this is a non issue. 

4WD is also likely to have a slightly higher fuel consumption.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, G Rex said:

I am not a great fan of the Fortuner - having driven them a few times in the last few years. If your wife got everywhere she needed to go in her HR-V , I doubt whether she would ‘need’ 4WD.

The 4WD may be safer - having better traction - but for normal driving this is a non issue. 

Not slightly higher fuel consumption - MUCH higher

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If money is no object, then 4WD is always better. There is the on demand or permanent 4WD, not sure what yours will be.

Also next year, there will be a Hybrid diesel, which sounds interesting, but I do not know if available in LOS...????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, transam said:

If money is no object, then 4WD is always better. There is the on demand or permanent 4WD, not sure what yours will be.

Also next year, there will be a Hybrid diesel, which sounds interesting, but I do not know if available in LOS...????

They don't make a permanent 4X4 now they are 2 wheel or 4X4 on demand. The last model they were permanent but not now. I chose a 4X4 this time, as my last one was permanent and it got me out of lots of trouble. Have I used it since I have had my newish one well several times. Mainly in the heavy rain as it helps with Aqua plaining of the front wheels. And twice getting me out of sand. If like you say monies isn't a problem get a 4X4. Just make sure you get the best model you can afford with a 2.8lt engine as it will give you much better KPL than the 2.4lt. Edit. They can be a real pig steering wise at slow speed on corners in 4X4 and they hate to go in reverse in 4X4. As long as you turn it of back into 2 wheel if it's not required your fine. A second edit If you get a 4X4 you have to use it in 4X4 every month for a distance of around 16KM to keep the front axel oil moving round. It's in the book.    

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

They don't make a permanent 4X4 now they are 2 wheel or 4X4 on demand. The last model they were permanent but not now. I chose a 4X4 this time, as my last one was permanent and it got me out of lots of trouble. Have I used it since I have had my newish one well several times. Mainly in the heavy rain as it helps with Aqua plaining of the front wheels. And twice getting me out of sand. If like you say monies isn't a problem get a 4X4. Just make sure you get the best model you can afford with a 2.8lt engine as it will give you much better KPL than the 2.4lt. Edit. They can be a real pig steering wise at slow speed on corners in 4X4 and they hate to go in reverse in 4X4. As long as you turn it of back into 2 wheel if it's not required your fine. A second edit If you get a 4X4 you have to use it in 4X4 every month for a distance of around 16KM to keep the front axel oil moving round. It's in the book.    

I think the 16 km 4x4 axle is a bit OTT, after all, they say don't use 4x4 on dry black top, which in this country is a bit difficult. My 4x4 I just knocked it into 4x4 every month or so on a straight bit road, never had any issues except with disengaging at times, changed the oil to Mobil, problem solved. 

7 minutes ago, transam said:

I think the 16 km 4x4 axle is a bit OTT, after all, they say don't use 4x4 on dry black top, which in this country is a bit difficult. My 4x4 I just knocked it into 4x4 every month or so on a straight bit road, never had any issues except with disengaging at times, changed the oil to Mobil, problem solved. 

It might well be but it's in the Book. Quote put in 4X4 every month and run for at least 16kKM. It goes on to say it's to mover the oil about round the axel and bearings. Do I do it every month??? most times or some time I do it even more sometimes less. I do it when I think of it when on a run of more than 16k never round town. As I said it's a Pig at slow speeds on tight turns.  

5 hours ago, G Rex said:

Of course higher fuel consumption with 300kg of "extra gearbox " weight. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, transam said:

When you swapped out the original axle oil / transfer case oil ( not the gearbox oil ) , what Mobile oil did you use. Was this on an auto motor. Thanks.

10 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

When you swapped out the original axle oil / transfer case oil ( not the gearbox oil ) , what Mobile oil did you use. Was this on an auto motor. Thanks.

Yes, an auto, as I use B-Quik for basic stuff, I had them change the 4x4 axle oil, they just showed me Mobil gear oil of the right type for the job.

The minor prob with the 4x4 disengaging was a bit of a pain, at times I had to stop the truck, put it in reverse, move a metre, then it would disengage, as an auto is always using force when in drive I thought that might be the prob, anyhoooo, the prob was solved with I assume a different brand of oil..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, transam said:

I had never drove car like trucks like they have in Thailand, when I got the Vigo 4x4 auto I found the back end so unstable put it in 4W it was a different truck. 

I was told you should not used on hard pavement so I said what about slippery wet pavement oh no,  what's the point of that. 

I lost the back going Maesot on a bend where water and mud had come across the road and down the side of the road backwards both feet hard on the brakes, so much for ABS going backwards ????.

Damaged rear hitting a tree so when I got the truck back from repairs I drove it in 4x4 all the time except in a town going slow or turning into a garage.

I drove in 4W for 5 years like that and when I sold it the auto box shown no signs of fault it was working the same as new. 

20 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Have I used it since I have had my newish one well several times. Mainly in the heavy rain as it helps with Aqua plaining of the front wheels.

How does 4WD "help with aquaplaning", are FWD cars not susceptible to aquaplaning? 

Once enough water gets under the tyre to cause aquaplaning, i.e. the tyre is no longer in contact with the road surface, 4WD (or FWD) is irrelevant, those wheels are then "floating", driven or not.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How does 4WD "help with aquaplaning", are FWD cars not susceptible to aquaplaning? 

Once enough water gets under the tyre to cause aquaplaning, i.e. the tyre is no longer in contact with the road surface, 4WD (or FWD) is irrelevant, those wheels are "floating", driven or not.

Maybe I should have used a different term. Maybe Grip. With a few inches of water on the road very common here, the steering becomes very light I think dangerous. Once in 4X4 it's like driving on a dry road. If you have a chance give it a go. You must have noticed that it you go through a large puddle the car will tend to swerve cos it's being dragged back by the water. In 4X4 you don't get that syndrome. All in all a much safer drive. 

38 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I drove in 4W for 5 years like that and when I sold it the auto box shown no signs of fault it was working the same as new

That's what I would have hoped for, especially with a Toyota.

19 hours ago, fredob43 said:

It might well be but it's in the Book. Quote put in 4X4 every month and run for at least 16kKM. It goes on to say it's to mover the oil about round the axel and bearings. Do I do it every month??? most times or some time I do it even more sometimes less. I do it when I think of it when on a run of more than 16k never round town. As I said it's a Pig at slow speeds on tight turns.  

The 4wd should only be engaged when the road allows some slip (or you must be going straight ahead). You should not be turning in 4wd on dry roads with no slip. Mitsubishi triton can be used in this way. 

47 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That's what I would have hoped for, especially with a Toyota.

Yeah as I always say I think Toyota's trucks are a lot tougher that some people think, when do terrorist put into a Toyota service station to get there's serviced. ????????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Once enough water gets under the tyre to cause aquaplaning, i.e. the tyre is no longer in contact with the road surface, 4WD (or FWD) is irrelevant, those wheels are then "floating", driven or not.

I think you miss the point in general road aquaplaining conditions 4WD or AWD has a great advantage over 2WD. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I think you miss the point in general road aquaplaining conditions 4WD or AWD has a great advantage over 2WD. 

Aquaplaning wheels are not in contact with the road and at that stage, whether the wheels are driven or not, it does not make any difference.   I do know that 4WD can be an advantage in wet conditions when the wheels are still in contact with the road, i.e before the wheels start floating.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Aquaplaning wheels are not in contact with the road and at that stage, whether the wheels are driven or not, it does not make any difference.   I do know that 4WD can be an advantage in wet conditions when the wheels are still in contact with the road, i.e before the wheels start floating.

All I can tell you is of my driving experiences in aquaplaining conditions on many occasions driving 2WD and 4WD cars.

You do not float like a boat for a long time in aquaplaining conditions it doesn't sound like you have experienced the situation in a 4WD or AWD drive vehicle.

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You do not float like a boat for a long time in aquaplaining conditions it doesn't sound like you have experienced the situation in a 4WD or AWD drive vehicle.

That is what aquaplaning is, loss of contact with the road surface due to the wheels riding on a layer of water.  It does not matter how many wheels are driven if they're not in contact with the road, and an aquaplaning wheel doesn't have that contact.   

I am aware that 4WD or AWD can be advantageous before the wheel loses contact with the road.

I'm also aware that is usually momentary and not like a long boat cruise.   I do know the advantage of 4WD having experience of an Audi S2, S6, Evo 4, STI, Discovery, Range Rover, Sport Rider and Fortuner.  

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is what aquaplaning is, loss of contact with the road surface due to the wheels riding on a layer of water.  It does not matter how many wheels are driven if they're not in contact with the road, and an aquaplaning wheel doesn't have that contact.   

I am aware that 4WD or AWD can be advantageous before the wheel loses contact with the road.

I'm also aware that is usually momentary and not like a long boat cruise.   I do know the advantage of 4WD having experience of an Audi S2, S6, Evo 4, STI, Discovery, Range Rover, Sport Rider and Fortuner.  

So from driving vehicles you list you should know what I'm trying to put across. 

In very heavy rain you slow down anyway that brings the weight of the vehicles wheel grip into play and also tells you whether it's true change time. ????

15 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, an auto, as I use B-Quik for basic stuff, I had them change the 4x4 axle oil, they just showed me Mobil gear oil of the right type for the job.

The minor prob with the 4x4 disengaging was a bit of a pain, at times I had to stop the truck, put it in reverse, move a metre, then it would disengage, as an auto is always using force when in drive I thought that might be the prob, anyhoooo, the prob was solved with I assume a different brand of oil..

Cheers. It could have been slight axle/trans wind-up causing the disengagement issue.

23 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Maybe I should have used a different term. Maybe Grip. With a few inches of water on the road very common here, the steering becomes very light I think dangerous. Once in 4X4 it's like driving on a dry road. If you have a chance give it a go. You must have noticed that it you go through a large puddle the car will tend to swerve cos it's being dragged back by the water. In 4X4 you don't get that syndrome. All in all a much safer drive. 

Personally I slow right down for large puddles. Avoids swerving and seems to please adjacent pedestrians and motorcyclists!