Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

39 minutes ago, Loiner said:

There must be a Guardian link somewhere that waffles on about foreign influences and undue interest in the Conservative Party members vote for their leader?

Must?

Really…must?

Why not be a good little boy and go dig it up if it interests you so. 

• Like 2

Now for something in topic…looks like another truss u-turn is in the offing…or at least a “clarification” of what she meant. 

So much of what truss says is misinterpreted it seems…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/07/penny-mordaunt-denies-liz-truss-is-ruling-out-more-help-for-poor-this-winter?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, to vote you have to pay 25 quid to be a member. So I doubt that many people struggling financially will get much of a say in who the next PM will be.

I am quite sure that everyone  in the U.K can afford 50 Pence per week to pay to join the Conservative  party  , that's less than one cigarette per week .

You are just playing the poverty card without even thinking about it .

7 pence per day , 50 pence per week .

1 cigarette 51 pence 

25 Pound per year to join the Conservatives , anyone can join 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really?

"The Trussell Trust has seen a staggering increase in the number of food parcels distributed over the last five years.

Food banks in the food charity network provided more than 2.1 million emergency food parcels between 1 April 2021 and 31 March 2022. Of these, 832,000 were for children. This represents an 81% increase compared to the same period five years ago. 

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/trussell-trust-sees-81-increase-in-food-bank-usage-across-its-network.html#:~:text=The Trussell Trust has seen,these%2C 832%2C000 were for children.

If people are getting free food, that's even more of a reason why they can afford 7 P a day .

Free food means more money for them to spend as they please 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, to vote you have to pay 25 quid to be a member. So I doubt that many people struggling financially will get much of a say in who the next PM will be.

They all had a say at the last GE and voted for Boris in a landslide victory. 
Now that the left and MSM have undemocratically ousted him only Tory members get a say, and the majority of them would vote for Boris again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

I guess with all the money they're saving on declining gas and power costs...oh wait a minute

You might want to get acquainted with what evidence looks like. Here's a sample:

People can afford 7 pence per day , 50 pence a week is affordable to everyone .

Even in Thailand, everyone can afford 20 Baht per week 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Loiner said:

They all had a say at the last GE and voted for Boris in a landslide victory. 
Now that the left and MSM have undemocratically ousted him only Tory members get a say, and the majority of them would vote for Boris again. 

You can repeat it as often as you like but it remains untrue that the left and MSM ousted Johnson. The fact is that the Parliamentary Conservative Party got rid of him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, RayC said:

You can repeat it as often as you like but it remains untrue that the left and MSM ousted Johnson. The fact is that the Parliamentary Conservative Party got rid of him.

That isnt a fact at all .

A fact is that Boris resigned as P.M. 

Boris Jonson resigned as Prime Minister 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You really do like to be pedantic, don't you? Ok, technically you are right. Happy now?

Now, why did Johnson feel it necessary to tender his resignation? Because members of the parliamentary Conservative Party offered him no choice. Is that a fact?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

You really do like to be pedantic, don't you? Ok, technically you are right. Happy now?

Now, why did Johnson feel it necessary to tender his resignation? Because members of the parliamentary Conservative Party offered him no choice. Is that a fact?

I began feeling  happy reading the first bit of your post , but that didn't last when I read the second bit .

Boris did have a choice,  choice to either stay as P.M or to resign his position .

Boris made his own choice to resign as P.M

• Thanks 1

Just now, peterfranks said:

For the answer to that, please see the post by @RayC right above yours, and please stop trolling.

Correcting your wrong posts is "trolling" ?

You write something that is incorrect and then you accuse me of trolling for correcting you !!!!!!!!

But as you made the accusation of trolling , I wont reply to your posts  anymore and I ask you to do like wise .

OK ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A couple of years of leftist and media hounding and smears. No wonder they started to bail and get the knives sharpened for back stabbing. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Who is "They" ?

“They” were the back stabbers in the Parliamentary Conservative party. Turncoats and opportunists. Sunak had his plan started months before Boris bailed. Even after their vote of confidence some were still plotting. Had it been up to the rank & file members Boris would still be sitting pretty. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Loiner said:

“They” were the back stabbers in the Parliamentary Conservative party. Turncoats and opportunists. Sunak had his plan started months before Boris bailed. Even after their vote of confidence some were still plotting. Had it been up to the rank & file members Boris would still be sitting pretty. 

There were numerous reasons as to why his position became endangered , but the final one, the one that broke ti camels back, was that Boris appointing a ministers who had a terrible habit of touching other men knobs .

Boris gave a job to a man to kept groping other men and other ministers wanted nothing more to do with him and so he resigned .

Uh oh…this story is developing…watch out truss supporters- u-turn approaching. 

“Liz Truss was accused of making a second major U-turn within a week, after her campaign tried to play down suggestions there would be no “handouts” to help millions of struggling people through an already worsening cost of living crisis this winter.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/07/penny-mordaunt-denies-liz-truss-is-ruling-out-more-help-for-poor-this-winter?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“a source within Sunak’s team said Truss was “cut and pasting her own U-turns” by announcing something “in black and white”, before claiming it had been misunderstood, and then getting allies to “poop scoop the next day”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I began feeling  happy reading the first bit of your post , but that didn't last when I read the second bit .

Boris did have a choice,  choice to either stay as P.M or to resign his position .

Boris made his own choice to resign as P.M

Read Johnson's speech and then tell me that you seriously believe that he wanted to resign and, that if hadn't,  he would still be PM today?https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.spectator.co.uk/article/full-text-boris-johnson-s-resignation-speech/amp

Johnson had no other choice than resign. Ministers were resigning left, right and centre. If he hadn't resigned, there is a strong possibility that he wouldn't have been able to fill all the ministerial positions in his government. What would have most likely happened then is that the 1922 committee would have amended their rules so that another 'No confidence' vote among Tory MPs could have taken place, a vote that Johnson would have lost.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Read Johnson's speech and then tell me that you seriously believe that he wanted to resign and, that if hadn't,  he would still be PM today?https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.spectator.co.uk/article/full-text-boris-johnson-s-resignation-speech/amp

Johnson had no other choice than resign. Ministers were resigning left, right and centre. If he hadn't resigned, there is a strong possibility that he wouldn't have been able to fill all the ministerial positions in his government. What would have most likely happened then is that the 1922 committee would have amended their rules so that another 'No confidence' vote among Tory MPs could have taken place, a vote that Johnson would have lost.

Whether he wanted to leave  or stay in the job is besides the point .

What might have happened in the future us besides the point .

The future result of another confidence vote is besides the point.

The ONLY thing that is relevant, is that Boris freely and willingly handed in his resignation notice and no one forced him to resign and no one voted him out 

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There were numerous reasons as to why his position became endangered , but the final one, the one that broke ti camels back, was that Boris appointing a ministers who had a terrible habit of touching other men knobs .

Boris gave a job to a man to kept groping other men and other ministers wanted nothing more to do with him and so he resigned .

That he gave a job to a serial groper showed a serious lack of judgement, but what done for Johnson was that he lied - sorry "misled" - people about knowing about this individual's indiscretion. This was the latest in a series where Johnson had misled his colleagues and parliament. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

A couple of years of leftist and media hounding and smears. No wonder they started to bail and get the knives sharpened for back stabbing. 

So in other words, members of the Tory parliamentary party didn't stick to their principles and were easily influenced by the media. Not great attributes for members of a government.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

That he gave a job to a serial groper showed a serious lack of judgement, but what done for Johnson was that he lied - sorry "misled" - people about knowing about this individual's indiscretion. This was the latest in a series where Johnson had misled his colleagues and parliament. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yes, I pretty much wrote exactly the same in my post above 2 hours ago , even used the same terminology about breaking the camels back