Recreational use of pot to be recriminalised as Minister warns abuses are undermining his plan

webfact

26 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What are you even talking about, to decriminalise something, it comes with a law, which is what happened. You are talking about the lack of regulations or tweaked laws for commercial use, which are being worked on in the background already.

Read Anutins comments again....slowly

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health, Anutin Charnvirakul (inset left), emphatically announced that the recreational use of cannabis was still illegal in Thailand and would be controlled further with a new law before parliament which will criminalise smoking of the flower part of the cannabis plant and redesignate it as a narcotic substance.

I read that as needing a doctors prescription to smoke it or ingest it for medical reasons only

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

like what, a full moon Cannabis party, RAVE style.......just what the country needs.

Well said.  If your Nation's tourist industry depends on the use of Cannabis to attract travelers, when you have a tropical paradise as a location,  then you are in real trouble.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

Way better, and a lot less hassle for the authorities than alcohol ever was. A huge reduction in violence too, what's not to like, among reasoning individuals?

Of course they Full moon party location would be ringed with food stalls, and recliners........lol

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Cry me a river, you can get jaba and alcohol on every corner of the street. It seems that it is older people who lack brains, regardless of nationality, to think like you. Clearly you do not have to smoke anything to get insane reasoning, one is just born with it.

Oh yeah, cannabis is something new, so OBVIOUSLY, it is over hyped for the first few months, as anything always is in Thailand, after which it is as normal as a buffalo.

You have such a narrow view of what is truly happening, it is not something new, just the lack of true legislation made it become overblown...try again.  Older people, do you think I am elderly or something.  I retired early because I could based upon my investments.

I'm 51/49 on personal use being allowed going forward, but with many controls, laws, rules, regulations.

That is I think there is a 51% chance personal use is ultimately legal.

I change my % hourly here.

That said, the article is still uselessly uninformative and misleading, meant to gin up clicks and posts.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A ridiculous and fearmongering article that misses the key points entirely and deliberately.

In order to recriminalise the use of cannabis they would have to add it back to the category 5 narcotics list from which it was recently removed. 

By doing so, they would make hundreds of thousands of Thais criminals overnight. Note that they have just given away a million plants, and it is available everywhere and now a massive industry with products on the shelves of every convenience store and supermarket. 

It's here to stay so better just deal with it as it is. 

All that has to be done is to repeal the law they just put on the books and it would instantly sunset and revert back to it's previous status.  They could then give Amnesty for those who are in possession or were released would alleviate as you wrote "make hundreds of thousands of Thais criminals overnight". At the same time they could submit a remade bill that would place all of the rules and regulations into law.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

Just now, bamnutsak said:

That said, the article is still uselessly uninformative and misleading, meant to gin up clicks and posts.

Yea a bit of a bummer when you actually have to click and read all the information and details contained in the link..........????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bamnutsak said:

Which I did.

I wouldn't make such comments if I didn't.

And your point is what, exactly?

(off to ignore you)

:rolleyes

Great ask me a question and put me on ignore so you cant read it...................magic ???? True stoner

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

I don't see them voicing much opposition to the ingesting of alcohol either. Let's ban it all, eh. I mean why not the one when the other clouds the mind even more so and also has a knack of killing on a very regular basis. I'm sure that would make Thailand's tolerant Islamic populace happy.

The article is typical and basically immaterial. But if the confused government cave and roll this one back for the sake of assuaging the Islamists, doctors (and related big pharma drug pushers), the dinosaurs and irrelevant fuddy duddies, as opposed to laying down rules and regs, it will be a monumental issue for them.

Do you truly believe that it will be a monumental disaster to Thailand?  I do not, I see it as correcting something they failed to include in the original roll-out.  I have yet to see anything here in Thailand, in the almost 20 years I have been coming and going, and now living here, that has not been changed/amended once or twice, case in point are the vaccinations, and the roll-out of some Visa's requiring HI.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Smoking rooms and cafes springing up everywhere. Any government that attempts prohibition to stop this cash cow is doomed.

image.png.6d49b5c8dae1b5cba2e5270beee7d036.png

Doomed as in how?  Civil uprising?, Tourist reprisals? Think Emergency decree which has already caused issues....

... well, 'As You Were' then ...?? Big thanx from the NIDDA  ( => that would be the National Illicit Drug Dealers Association, in case you wasn't aware) - again!

Funny, but way dumber than an empty rockbox that lot ...  :clap2: & :cheesy: ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1