Best used phone store in CM for me to sell brand new phone to.

JimmyJ

18 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Samsung Galaxy A52S 5G.

Will have a "JJ Tell All" and explain once I get a chance.

Upset with Samsung, not the phone.

How much you hoping to get back ? I might be interested ????????

I see they are around 10k new.

Edited by Black Ops

The phones I have used for years allow me to deny all Permissions to every App if I wish to. 

I never considered that this will be any different with other manufacturers, but I now find that Samsung forces Permissions to many apps.

Currently the "Permission manager" shows that I am forced to give access to "Phone" to 10 apps, Storage to 3 apps, Contacts to 2 apps and Call Logs, Camera,  and Location to 1 app each.

This is 24/7 forever, no options for the owner.

Samsung's answer to Google Assistant is Bixby.

Bixby Routines gets perpetual permission for 5 of those, and Bixby Voice gets access to 6.

But actually Samsung has access to more than this, as there are many pre-installed apps which are not listed by the Permission manager for some reason, and some of these also have irrevocable Permissions.

I cannot accept this situation.

Edited by JimmyJ

One issue that is very relevant now is how to find out if a phone from another manufacturer allows me to deny access to all, or forces access.

I know that phones in stores in Demo Mode do not allow apps to be deleted (referrng to apps which can be deleted by the phone owner).

But can Permissions be denied to apps while in Demo Mode?

I also wonder about the following - in the USA if one buys a discounted phone from a carrier which involves a 2 year phone service contract, one gets a small window - about 7 days - to return the opened phone, cancel the contract for the phone and service, and get a full refund minus pro-rated payment for the service days used.

(At least that was the case the last time I got a phone).

Wondering if that the case in Thailand with the 3 major carriers?

Edited by JimmyJ

On 8/7/2022 at 5:14 PM, JimmyJ said:

One issue that is very relevant now is how to find out if a phone from another manufacturer allows me to deny access to all, or forces access.

I have a Poco F3, bought it last year (for 10k Baht in a sale), specs are still good, maybe you can get it with a nice discount second hand now. No complaints with the phone, working good, fast, etc.

I just tried it, I can revoke for example the permission to make phone calls from the standard phone app, giving me a warning that this might break basic functionality of the phone, but upon confirmation it allows me to do this.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

I have a Poco F3, bought it last year (for 10k Baht in a sale), specs are still good, maybe you can get it with a nice discount second hand now. No complaints with the phone, working good, fast, etc.

I just tried it, I can revoke for example the permission to make phone calls from the standard phone app, giving me a warning that this might break basic functionality of the phone, but upon confirmation it allows me to do this.

Worst phone I ever purchased. Had the 'won't turn on bug' then a firmware update killed it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Thank you for testing that permission.

"I can revoke for example the permission to make phone calls from the standard phone app, giving me a warning that this might break basic functionality of the phone, but upon confirmation it allows me to do this."

I get the same warnings.

I have all permissions turned off for every pre-intalled app.

If I need one I turn on the permission temporarily.

It's important for people to understand that:

1) When they say "break basic functionality", that means "the app may not work the way it was intended while the permssion is off".

It does not "break" anything, all works the way it did previously if the permission is turned back on.

2) 

The overall phone has not been affected.

I have all Google apps permissions turned off, and those of the phone manufacturer's apps likewise.

I use other apps I download for the basic functions like "Phone Dialer".

Edited by JimmyJ