UK Passport Renewal New Blue Passports

5 hours ago, VBF said:

As another "old codger" who has just renewed his UK PP...it's VERY DARK blue which looks black at first glance. Trust me!!  Hold it up to the light!!

They have all been blue for a couple of years now. Iconic blue passports return next month

I have tried hunting the colour code from a UK gov. source but I can only find indirect quotes. The confusion seems to be two-fold; One is that is was a return to the old BPP and the second is that the officially selected colour is Pantone 5395C. Here is that colour

Pin pageand here is the UK's HS holding a sampleimage.png.ca5915d6d714df497c2b7f1a935ebb2d.png which against her hair colour and clothing is definitely a very dark blue. However, the older PP is darker than both of the above and the the colour that the gov. wanted.

Imageand the new PP seems to be darker than the old one.

According to what I've read even some college colour experts say that it should be classified as a % black though not 100% because it contains some green and red, but the official opinion is very, very dark blue. Apparently, the PP cover is printed in another country.????

Just now, Upnotover said:

Well here's my 2021 passport alongside my 1981 version.  The colour is certainly blue and both are the same.  The new one looks darker more so due to the grain of the cover than anything else I think, and ageing of course.

image.png.5ad58bc7496b88d7ee2c532b0e3377d1.png

Does the new passport still have a slot where you can put your wifes photo in ?

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Does the new passport still have a slot where you can put your wifes photo in ?

Fortunately not, although perhaps there is a place in the chip for that.  The old one neither, although it does contain an entry stamp for our honeymoon in Jamaica, distant memories now, both the trip and her.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

But many people  in the World can speak and read French and its also a requirement to have words written in more than one language 

morocco Cambodia Canada i forget now how many countries they colonised

On 8/8/2022 at 5:30 PM, PAWNEESE said:

So I asked Mr Google and read that many consider that there new colour to be black.  Not just me.

Me as well - I never was able to see the blue in the older passports. Having said that, I'm technically slightly colourblind... ????

On 8/9/2022 at 10:38 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

That could cause a storm, as many people voted for Brexit based on the promise of the UK returning to the blue passports of years past ????

What a great reason to destroy your economy and take away your own right to move freely in 27 other countries 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

What a great reason to destroy your economy and take away your own right to move freely in 27 other countries 

History will judge it as one of the biggest errors in history that a country has made. Not only to lose the right of free movement and job opportunities, but to hand all our EU business rivals a competitive advantage in having a borderless and tax free business environment.

I have yet to see any benefits, nor have I seen any other country saying that the UK leaving was a good idea. But that's what happens when no-one, no-one at all, really knew what consequences and complications it would bring. It was all "we will deal with that down the road." As for freedom to trade outside the EU, the UK could and did anyway. And as for freedom from EU laws, ask anyone what those intrusive laws are/were and you'd get a blank look.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 3:26 AM, Fairynuff said:

The British passport used to be number one on the Henley List making it the best most valuable passport to have. It’s now joint 13th. But they knew what they were voting for. 

Cherry picking 2010 If you had bother to check 2008-2009 you would have found the British passport joint 17th

https://www.henleyglobal.com/passport-index/ranking

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

History will judge it as one of the biggest errors in history that a country has made. Not only to lose the right of free movement and job opportunities, but to hand all our EU business rivals a competitive advantage in having a borderless and tax free business environment.

I have yet to see any benefits, nor have I seen any other country saying that the UK leaving was a good idea. But that's what happens when no-one, no-one at all, really knew what consequences and complications it would bring. It was all "we will deal with that down the road." As for freedom to trade outside the EU, the UK could and did anyway. And as for freedom from EU laws, ask anyone what those intrusive laws are/were and you'd get a blank look.  

Epic self harm, brought about by an incompetent selfservative government pandering to racists and tax avoiding billionaires. So yep, I agree totally

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Epic self harm, brought about by an incompetent selfservative government pandering to racists and tax avoiding billionaires. So yep, I agree totally

Indeed.  Strange how the Brexiteers now seem to have disappeared from this Forum.  A "blue" passport thread like this would have brought them out in droves a few years ago!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed.  Strange how the Brexiteers now seem to have disappeared from this Forum.  A "blue" passport thread like this would have brought them out in droves a few years ago!

Too embarrassed to show their faces. Those who can bring themselves to admit their mistakes are a rare breed.

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Brexit was years ago, its not important anymore , life has moved on, we've had Covid and Ukraine since then .

Brexit was from years ago 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to make this absolutely crystal clear: there was nothing, absolutely nothing, preventing the UK having a blue-black (Pantone 5395C) passport when it was still a member of the EU.  

Edited by Gaccha

Remainers who mock the return of the blue British passport are showing their true colours, writes PETER OBORNE

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-5212081/Remainers-mock-blue-passport-showing-true-colours.html

Given the lengthy processing periods for passports currently  I don't know of anyone that has submitted for a replacement passport just for a different colour of passport

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Remainers who mock the return of the blue British passport are showing their true colours, writes PETER OBORNE

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-5212081/Remainers-mock-blue-passport-showing-true-colours.html

Given the lengthy processing periods for passports currently  I don't know of anyone that has submitted for a replacement passport just for a different colour of passport

Just as a point of interest, I renewed my PP in the UK because i thought the processing periods were "lengthy" (UK Gov advise 10 weeks)

Despite having to submit a second photograph, mine took from original application on  13th June to receiving passport on 29th June - just over 2 weeks!!!

Apparently the delays only apply if there is anything out of the ordinary in your application - my next door neighbour had the same experience.