Is there any way to buy a new bike on monthly payments as a foreigner in Thailand?

On 9/3/2022 at 4:12 AM, TheLaughingMan said:

Ya... my thinking before when I lived in Bangkok was the police are going to extort me anyway so why bother, but this time around I'll register it and see how much of a difference it makes.

Not really...  In Pattaya and Chiang Mai maybe more so, but in Bangkok the police are really not that bothered about setting up check-points, or about foreigners. 

The last time I was stopped was a good few years ago, I flipped open my helmet and they just waved me on, not interested. 

If you have your documents (licence, tax, copy of green book etc) there is nothing to be concerned about. 

On 9/3/2022 at 3:50 AM, TheLaughingMan said:

Wait so as a tourist I cant even just slap down the full amount in cash and buy a motorcycle?  You have to own property or certificate of residence and have the proper visa?

As a foreigner there is one critical document that is needed to have a vehicle registered in your name. 

- You need a proof of address. There are three main types of proof of address, one of them is needed: 

1) Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy.

2) Yellow Tabien Baan House Book.

3) Certificate of Residence from Immigration. 

All have their pros and cons: 

1) Depends on country: i.e. British Embassy will not issue this Affirmation letter if you are on a Tourist Visa or entered Visa exempt (they want to see what they consider a resident visa).

2) Yellow Book, useful if you’ve already got it, but involves a lot of legwork (paper work) to get this - and according to forum comments a couple of DLT’s i.e. Pattaya / Chonburi do not accept it for some reason)

3) Immigration ‘may’ only issue a certificate of residence if you have carried out a 90 day report. This seems to vary, Chiang Mai apparently will issue, Chaeng Wattana apparently won’t without a 90 day report.