Living in Thailand vs living in America?

jack71

On 8/13/2022 at 8:51 AM, jack71 said:

I would like to here from some Americans about their country at the moment. 

There is still amazing cheap land in many places in America. If you can build something and deal with property taxes you could have a pretty good life.

Just saw this today in inbox.

image.thumb.png.74e3b0db352dd3dcc0c9753f198247ec.png

Come visit my home town of Boulder Colorado in the summer and enjoy a pleasant dry heat, cool nights and unmatched outdoor culture hiking in the Rocky Mountains. Just don't get any idea of buying a home or your dreams will be crushed when you see the prices. ????

image.png.caa5432849cdd849971b98eed95e473b.png

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 10:20 PM, gargamon said:

The US is in the middle of collapse. Expect a dictator similar to Putin to be running it in 10 years.

If Trump doesn't go to jail on some trumped -up charges he will turn things around. But there will be so many impeachments and so many going to jail you better wait until the smoke clears before you think about going to the USA.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I taught an ESL class in America in the mid-90s. This was before Trump, COVID, cultural wars, etc. In one particular class I had a group of advanced adult students who were quite articulate. As I got to know them we shared stories more and more. Near the end of the term, they as a group told me they were, for the most part lonely in the US, and they wished they could go back to their native countries and take their US jobs with them. I think that statement speaks volumes.

The students felt an emptiness in the States. A place where neighbors were just people who lived next to you. There was no connection. Many of these students were not new arrivals. They had been Stateside for several years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Doubling down on the presumptuous toxicity.

I think toxicity reflects the general American mood these days..

If you could afford to move home, you wouldn't have to think.

You could experience America first hand and not rely on radical internet sources

333,000,000 live in America, 50 different states,  try to remember that when you paint an entire country with your very thin, uneducated paint brush

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Come visit my home town of Boulder Colorado in the summer and enjoy a pleasant dry heat, cool nights and unmatched outdoor culture hiking in the Rocky Mountains. Just don't get any idea of buying a home or your dreams will be crushed when you see the prices. ????

image.png.caa5432849cdd849971b98eed95e473b.png

I lived for a year just below the Flatirons top of the picture but that was 40 years ago. 

• Like 1

I see women joggers and can guess what's in her fanny pack but it doesn't bother me.  I'm fortunate to live in a beautiful house with a view in a safe neighborhood.  Life is good here for me.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Please explain what you mean by "turn things around". More tax cuts for the rich? More stooges in important government positions? More civil liberties stolen?

If Trump gets back into power he will attempt to become another Putin. Too bad for his supporters he isn't smart enough to be successful. He would again be a puppet of whatever "strong man" leader that is dominating him that week, just like when he was in power.

I think he means “turn things around” as in “down the U-bend”. It’s a plumbing term.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

unmatched outdoor culture hiking

i don't know what this means, but there was a MASS shooting in Boulder not too long ago.  CU is nice, but many pot heads.  Crazy cyclists everywhere, which is good and bad.  Way too crowded hiking trails, idiots trying to get Strava records on their mountain bikes. also just had a massive fire there too.....way too windy, and it gets that yellow haze.

you can definitely pick a way better place.   20 years ago, maybe not.  

6 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

A place where neighbors were just people who lived next to you.

There is no way I want to be friends with my neighbors, I want my privacy.  A smile, sure.  I'm not fluent in Thai, so what kind of conversations can you have?   In America, it's the same.  Smile, do your thing.   It also REALLY depends where you live.   The Mid-West might be way more friendlier to a stranger than, say, out West.   In six years, I never wanted to become friends with one neighbor.   Hi, How are you, it's hot, tired, where are you going, where did you go, blah, blah blah........and a smile.  That's enough.   In America, you don't want to be friends because they are going to want to hear your life story.   That's too invasive for a neighbor, if you are single.  Unless you really hit it off with them and you are both living in a house for life.  renting neighbor is way different, in the case of the Thais in America.  

I can guarantee one thing, if they needed help from a neighbor in America, they would get it.  Here?  probably the same.  Unless they are really renting in some beat-down apartment complex......then that's another story.  hopefully not.  

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Turn things around to the end of American democracy. The republican party (not just Trump) wants dictatorship.

Orange skin

Toothbrush moustaches

Scraggle-haired cockwombles….

Threats to democracy do not look like you or me, nor like our lumpen proletariat.  If the proletariat want serfdom, who are we to deny it, despite our misgivings and wish for liberty?

I think a substantial proportion of the population would willingly forego elements of freedom and wealth to be able to blame their woes on Johnny Foreigner rather than their own stupidity.

Only space and stupidity are immeasurably infinite, and scientists are addressing the former.

9 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

i don't know what this means, but there was a MASS shooting in Boulder not too long ago.  CU is nice, but many pot heads.  Crazy cyclists everywhere, which is good and bad.  Way too crowded hiking trails, idiots trying to get Strava records on their mountain bikes. also just had a massive fire there too.....way too windy, and it gets that yellow haze.

you can definitely pick a way better place.   20 years ago, maybe not.  

Boulder is far worse today than it was 20 year for sure. I was just talking to some women about this last week who moved here when my family did in 1987. Objectively worse we both agree. That's just us though, the new comers seem to be having a good time. Google has a campus here and lots of high paying tech jobs are popping up etc...

I visit my parents here in the summer (that's where I am now) and you can still have nice hikes if you avoid the weekends or certain easy trails the tourists do. Much more weed smoking sine they legalized it, which maybe some people like but it just attracted more problems in my opinion. I never explored the state much since I effectively moved to Thailand in 2005 but I'm sure you can find better areas in Colorado that have nice hiking, more affordable housing and less of this elitist liberal cultural which dominates Boulder.

20 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Boulder is far worse today than it was 20 year for sure. I was just talking to some women about this last week who moved here when my family did in 1987. Objectively worse we both agree. That's just us though, the new comers seem to be having a good time. Google has a campus here and lots of high paying tech jobs are popping up etc...

I visit my parents here in the summer (that's where I am now) and you can still have nice hikes if you avoid the weekends or certain easy trails the tourists do. Much more weed smoking sine they legalized it, which maybe some people like but it just attracted more problems in my opinion. I never explored the state much since I effectively moved to Thailand in 2005 but I'm sure you can find better areas in Colorado that have nice hiking, more affordable housing and less of this elitist liberal cultural which dominates Boulder.

I am with you. Liberal freedoms are elitist.  People should be allowed to do the limited things that I do, and no more.  

• Haha 1

Just now, StreetCowboy said:

I am with you. Liberal freedoms are elitist.  People should be allowed to do the limited things that I do, and no more.  

It's 180 degrees opposite of how they portray themselves but these are some the most intolerant small minded people you will ever meet if you challenge them on anything or go against one of their never health or social fads. There's a reason they say Boulder is a bubble. 

The Thais on the other hand are actually easy going and aren't trying to shove all their dogmas down my throat with protests and bumper stickers, and that's one of the main reasons I prefer to live with them.

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

It's 180 degrees opposite of how they portray themselves but these are some the most intolerant small minded people you will ever meet if you challenge them on anything or go against one of their never health or social fads. There's a reason they say Boulder is a bubble. 

The Thais on the other hand are actually easy going and aren't trying to shove all their dogmas down my throat with protests and bumper stickers, and that's one of the main reasons I prefer to live with them.

You are right. We should not be forced to tolerate or make allowances for gay people, handicapped people, non-smokers, people with allergies… The tyranny of the tolerant is unbearable, as they promote all these minorities, but deny the sullen majority the right to their prejudices.

Just now, StreetCowboy said:

You are right. We should not be forced to tolerate or make allowances for gay people, handicapped people, non-smokers, people with allergies… The tyranny of the tolerant is unbearable, as they promote all these minorities, but deny the sullen majority the right to their prejudices.

well this is ***exactly*** what I'm talking about. I don't know where you're from but you'd probably really get along with the people here. Not kidding, not judging, come and visit. You'll feel right at home.