Living in Thailand vs living in America?

jack71

4 hours ago, pomchop said:

Asheville not so cheap anymore as it has been "discovered".

Oh,I wasn't suggesting it was cheap. I meant it's a good place that someone making 100k USD a year can well afford.

Just looked up average monthly rents.

Asheville 1672 to 2000. Manhattan 5000. 

Considering taxation 5000 would  be a squeeze on 100k.

There are cheaper places in the US with average rents under 1000 but they are generally cheap for a reason.

14 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

And Philly also has 5,000,000 USD houses.   Now probably 10,000,000 USD.

what's a USD house? 

Thanks for posting - seems a little silly to make a decision to retire someplace and look at a video of a druggy street in a slum that the op will never come close to... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

We don't need you tube videos to inform us how hideous the USA is. We learned about it years  ago with the napalming of tiny countries like Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

We know about the traducing and destabilising of of South and central America.

We know about the privatised prison system.

We know about the  exploitation of illness for profit

We know about their  inhuman  anti drug laws.

And worse, we have to  suffer its malign political influence  on the English  speaking  world  of its extremist politics- wokeism, identitarian ideology, and the destructive idiocy of intersectionality.

It's a barbarian nation existing in cultural vacuum.

The question was "is it a good place to live."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Post redux

Been in Thailand 18 years now and, while certainly there are the financial advantages, I came here for the anonymity. People became very intrusive in US as to who you are, what do you do, and the 'can this person help me more than I can help them' equation. Here in a Thailand, nobody much cares who you are unless you want people to know who you are.

That and the temples of course

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
26 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Post redux

Been in Thailand 18 years now and, while certainly there are the financial advantages, I came here for the anonymity. People became very intrusive in US as to who you are, what do you do, and the 'can this person help me more than I can help them' equation. Here in a Thailand, nobody much cares who you are unless you want people to know who you are.

Well not so much temples but before and after moving to Thailand I was skilled volunteer (with US Government certification) at under NGO under the patronage of (the then) HM the King assisting disadvantaged populations.

But with your 'temple' line above are you suggesting BS that Thai femaledom did not enter the equation? Of course it did. But I had been in SE Asia working for about 15 years before moving to Thailand so I was well familiar with the place.

So I'm going to post this now that it was almost 20 years ago. This was my "Dear Jerry" letter as I had made the mistake of asking them to supply me with a formal visa which they had absolutely no intention to do. So letter was Thanks for your help; now go away.

But I continued to informally help some of their top students with obtaining academic scholarships both domestic and international.

But not like living in USA would I ever have an experience like this.

image.jpeg.6aef5429764cf74ea255d73b9c18c7c4.jpeg

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

We don't need you tube videos to inform us how hideous the USA is. We learned about it years  ago with the napalming of tiny countries like Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

We know about the traducing and destabilising of of South and central America.

We know about the privatised prison system.

We know about the  exploitation of illness for profit

We know about their  inhuman  anti drug laws.

And worse, we have to  suffer its malign political influence  on the English  speaking  world  of its extremist politics- wokeism, identitarian ideology, and the destructive idiocy of intersectionality.

It's a barbarian nation existing in cultural vacuum.

But I am proud to be an Okie from Muskogee... 

15 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I like the US in general.  Lots of things bug me and the future doesn't look rosy. 

The Thai relatives that we sponsored to come here 10 or so years ago don't want to go back.  All but one are citizens now. Sis-in-law owns/runs a Thai restaurant.  Bro-in-law had a little motorcycle repair business in Thailand.  Recently he got a mechanic job here at a Honda/Yamaha dealership and he's loving it.  He's making up to $950/week with performance incentives.

Yes immigrants  seem to love  the USA. But people from developed countries don't want  to live there.

• Like 1

I used to think I was fed up with Thailand and harbored desires to  return. After Biden presidency, inflation all the other stupidity I'm really happy I'm here. I'll never go back. Most of my bridges burned anyway.

What a shi++y life there

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes immigrants  seem to love  the USA. But people from developed countries don't want  to live there.

It's still fine if you have serious money and income. The proles can suck eggs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jerno said:

If you like all your neighbors and most strangers carrying guns everywhere, schools unsafe due to violence and shootings, and all aspects of Health Care 20 or 30 times the cost than Thailand, go ahead make your move to America. You would be much happier and safer in Canada or one of many European countries.

Lol

So you're blaming gun violence on those with carry permits OR the street gangsters and random unbalanced people? Sounds like the former.

As an American who is currectly in the US working, I would be only be willing to live here if I was getting paid $3 million a year. 

It is a rather joyless place. It is all about the money. It is a great spot if you want everyone 10 years younger than you, referring to you as sir. All my single friends here are struggling to find a date. It is a great place if you like women who are more masculine than you are, and find it very difficult to manifest the dignity within femininity. 

Lastly, it is very expensive now. A friend who has a place in both Monaco and London said on his recent visit to LA, that it was more expensive than either of those spots now. Don't consider moving to America unless money and value are not an object. And don't even get me started about labor costs here. 

"OMG"-A real painful feeling of humiliation, distress caused by the consciousness of wrong and disgusting foolish behavior. Glad, Lucky and "BLESSED" that as an adult I made the right decisions in life. I love traveling between the USA and Thailand, spending 6 months a year in each place. Got the "BEST" of two worlds. However, I will have to admit that the USA is in decline by our Political Leadership with the Lawlessness and no accountability. Been thinking the last several years of a permanent move to Thailand if it gets worse especially if their is no change in our Government in 2022/2024. Thank God I live in Florida. Good Luck to you all USA Expats. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1