Living in Thailand vs living in America?

jack71

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

well this is ***exactly*** what I'm talking about. I don't know where you're from but you'd probably really get along with the people here. Not kidding, not judging, come and visit. You'll feel right at home.

I suppose we have no choice but to make allowance for people that don’t understand sarcasm, and for those of us with limited talents, at least it allows us to exercise our superiority complex.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I suppose we have no choice but to make allowance for people that don’t understand sarcasm, and for those of us with limited talents, at least it allows us to exercise our superiority complex.

You're being sarcastic? Yes I know and you sound exactly like the people here. That's exactly the kind of sarcasm some person from Boulder would have.

To "explain" what is going on here will be the subject of at least 100 books in the next few years.  Some cliff notes:

America was founded on the belief that the country belonged to white northern European men and only white property owing men could vote.  Slavery was not only at the economic center of country, but also served to control the slaves through the plantation system. 

Over the past 70 years, or so the demographics began to change.  This started in California where the large growers could not find enough 'white' field hands and lobbied to have the immigration laws changed for the agricultural interests to allow Mexican labor free assess to the border to work the west coast fields.

The population measurements clearly meant that by 2040 whites would in the minority, and that it would be impossible for the GOP to win national or even state-wide elections.  So, why did they think that Latinas, Blacks, and Asians would only vote for the Democrats?  Largely, this was based on a combination of paranoia  of "other people coming to get to get us" used my GOP candidates to scare their base and the reemergence of a classic color based racism.  Soon, race defined what you could do, how much money you could make, where you could go to school, etc. 

Perhaps 30 years ago the Republican party decided to make the fear of others the only thing that mattered in running elections.  Enter Donald Trump, a longtime grifter and paranoid narcist who understood how to organize the 25% of the republicans at the fringe of the right wing; remnants of the Kul Klux Klan,  the American First Fascists left over from WWII and other groups with similar ideologies.  The GOP decided that if they could not win voters and there were more of the 'other voters' that them they would simply rig the electoral system and rule as a minority.  They are trying to convince their folks that American should not have been a democracy in the first place. 

This process was played out throughout Trumps tenure as President. When he lost the 2020 election, the Big Lie was created to convince his base that he did not lose - it was stolen.  In the American Courts this has not worked, and Trump and his folks are facing trials that could put them all in prison for sedition, and other charges. 

That is where we are right now.  My Thai wife come back to the states in 2016 to meet the 5 year residency requirement so she can get my Social Security survivors' benefits.  We are moving back to Chiang Mai in Setember. 

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Balance said:

Over the past 70 years, or so the demographics began to change

Immigration is a deliberate government policy. See the 1965 Hart Cellar act. Americans never agreed to be flooded by millions of racial aliens. I've spoken about this before the mods will ban me again.

The die is cast though and the US is already looking exactly like Brazil in many areas. I was born in 1982 and had a good upbringing in a still 95+ white Colorado town but my elementary school I went to in the 90s looks like it could be any city in Mexico. Glad I moved, not coming back except to visit.

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Immigration is a deliberate government policy. See the 1965 Hart Cellar act. Americans never agreed to be flooded by millions of racial aliens. I've spoken about this before the mods will ban me again.

The die is cast though and the US is already looking exactly like Brazil in many areas. I was born in 1982 and had a good upbringing in a still 95+ white Colorado town but my elementary school I went to in the 90s looks like it could be any city in Mexico. Glad I moved, not coming back except to visit.

Racial aliens?

Wow.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Racial aliens?

Wow.

Technical term. The original immigration policy was "white people of good character" which meant Northern Europeans (some Eastern too actually). Those were the people I grew up with and my own family. English, Scottish, Dutch, German etc... a German in England is an alien but of a different kind.

The later immigration however is largely not compatible with whites. They keep on their side of town and us on ours. Even the current mix of Europeans is at each others throats and now they throw in people from literally everywhere in the world by the millions per year.

Remember when Joe Biden in the 90s said he didn't want his kids to grow up in a racial jungle? Well here we are.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Technical term. The original immigration policy was "white people of good character" which meant Northern Europeans (some Eastern too actually). Those were the people I grew up with and my own family. English, Scottish, Dutch, German etc... a German in England is an alien but of a different kind.

The later immigration however is largely not compatible with whites. They keep on their side of town and us on ours. Even the current mix of Europeans is at each others throats and now they throw in people from literally everywhere in the world by the millions per year.

Remember when Joe Biden in the 90s said he didn't want his kids to grow up in a racial jungle? Well here we are.

You forgot Irish who were not considered white during their immigration wave and Jews.

I appreciate your honestly but frankly it sounds like right wing  white nationalist white resentment replacement theory, thus very unsavory indeed. If America is going to survive as a democracy and it probably won't people are going to need to move on from Make America White Again poppycock.

https://www.voanews.com/a/what-is-the-great-replacement-theory-/6578349.html

What is the Great Replacement Theory?  

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You forgot Irish who were not considered white during their immigration wave and Jews.

I appreciate your honestly but frankly it sounds like right wing  white nationalist white resentment replacement theory, thus very unsavory indeed. If America is going to survive as a democracy and it probably won't people are going to need to move on from Make America White Again poppycock.

Heritage America is dead and gone. It's best to get straight with ourselves and try to make the most of what he have left from the past. 

Oh the Irish. Like my red haired mother with the maiden name Murphy? Yes I am Irish also. I don't know why I left them out of my list. Jews are not "white" full stop. Never have they properly integrated into any  country, always the remain as "the tribe". Kind of like Hill Tribe in Thailand, although in reverse because the Thais intruded upon them while Jews seek out whites to live amongst.

But honestly I'd like to know more about the relationship with them and the English and why they weren't considered white.  My understanding is the whites in American South are primarily the Scottish and Irish and the current culture war we see today (dems and republicans) is that ethnic struggle still playing out. I'm 100% willing to accept Irish are not compatible with the English although I after a single generation I see the blend in very well. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Heritage America is dead and gone. It's best to get straight with ourselves and try to make the most of what he have left from the past. 

Oh the Irish. Like my red haired mother with the maiden name Murphy? Yes I am Irish also. I don't know why I left them out of my list. Jews are not "white" full stop. Never have they properly integrated into any  country, always the remain as "the tribe". Kind of like Hill Tribe in Thailand, although in reverse because the Thais intruded upon them while Jews seek out whites to live amongst.

But honestly I'd like to know more about the relationship with them and the English and why they weren't considered white.  My understanding is the whites in American South are primarily the Scottish and Irish and the current culture war we see today (dems and republicans) is that ethnic struggle still playing out. I'm 100% willing to accept Irish are not compatible with the English although I after a single generation I see the blend in very well. 

You just posted anti Semitic garbage. My engagement with you has reached its conclusion..

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 2

To me it depends on your life style I’m always active building ,repairing and just making stuff that’s me that would be harder to do if living in Thailand full time then again se Asia is a fascinating place lots of history beautiful nature and of course the lady’s so we live in both worlds i spend the majority of my time here in the states also please keep in mind the media tends to sensationalize most things ( ratings I guess) it’s not as crazy here as most believe 

Let me take a shot at this?  I believe in such sayings "  Grass is never greener, let he or country without sin be the first cast a stone "

I was born and raise in the U.S. in the early 50's, considered myself to be 1st generation Chinese American. I've experience plenty of discrimination growing having the privilege of being able to travel to 49 of the 50 States. But never in my wildest dream living here I would ever feel so much discrimination especially being Asian but of course let me say it first I know that Pattaya and Bangkok been told is not indicative of what the rest of Thailand and its people are all about!

What people forget is how large America is and regardless of what people read we are talking a dozen of so major cities and sadly being a democrat in the past majority if not all or liberal Cities. These Cities have gone so far left it has left many like myself in the middle thinking where should my vote go? The formula for such things to happen we forget at times is " Freedom "  to much or too little can be bad?

Growing up I was provided plenty of opportunities the reason my mother walked hundreds if not thousands of miles from her Canton village to the mountains to hide from the envision of the Japanese and later again from the communist Chinese to Hong Kong carrying very little food, water and my older brother where she waited until my father who served in the U.S. Army during WW2, was able to immigrate here legally into the U.S.

My grandfather who I never met was one of those so call " import/exporter "  from China he wasn't so lucky in his final visit he refuse to surrender to the Communist so was executed like so many of my other family members. Growing up I had opportunities but didn't know how lucky I was nor did I understand how to appreciate. Instead of taking the right path I follow my two other brothers ended up spending much of my youth in detention centers. I was one of those kids who the counselors were constantly saying "  if you spend more time with your studies than trying to get out of it ".

The education I past up what I did get I appreciate it now more than ever the ability to think for myself, lead instead of being lead, to speak out whenever I hear wrong and to help others when in need of help in spite of my past. No matter where one lives how much you might dislike your country you don't unlearn what you learn growing up. I like everyone didn't come to Thailand to look for trouble sometimes it find you never how hard to try to avoid it.

When I first came here in 2006 for good, I came as a democrat true and blue but was told at some point in my life I won't and living here has proven I'm move to be more conservative. America is less than 300 years old yet it has done more than any country in the world and especially faster.  Before others get all bent out of shape ready with all the stats that it hasn't save you time don't bother I'm not here to debate it just providing my view. 

Is it perfect NO they will never be!  What seems to me is true is when things goes wrong they look at the U.S. if they help or don't they get the raft of other countries. It is a no win situation. They don't want the U.S. involvement Asia if it wasn't for them Japan would have taken it all and if it wasn't for U.S.  China would have tried a long time ago if it wasn't for the U.S. Brits, Aussie.

Based on my timing if it wasn't for the large donation of Pfizer from the U.S. stipulation some be saved for expats many living here would still be waiting and complaining. Instead of saying like China, French, only for their citizen it was open to ALL at a time when the Delta was taking over Thailand and their front line workers in 2021.

One thing for sure living here has given me a much different perspective I didn't appreciate what America had given me until I live elsewhere today in spite of their past and not being perfect I appreciate what they gave me growing up.  There is no country on the face of this earth that doesn't have a Darkside yet America gives more than any country particular when a country has a crisis just ask Thailand who got billions to build back Phuket. What did the Chinese give in the Haitian crisis 250,000 USD the second largest economy LOL!

Just like the disaster in Sattahip,  you hear any Thais billionaires the Government leaders who pockets are overflowing from corruption stepping up to cover the victims cost which is a drop in the bucket to help their own people and others?

Everyone has a right to their views and from what I'm reading those who left and are happy act as if they did it on their own?  They do so because of the resources they worked and earn now receiving from the U.S. system.  The medical they received, pension system, the freedom to open I.R.A's, 401's, Social Security without that system not many could enjoy the 35-1 exchange rate which is why majority are here living in their small world while generally the poor Thais who are the majority will never be able to enjoy what we American and many from the West enjoy.

As many have noted, I know many Thais in the West, those who are young enough tell me they would never live in Thailand, even many of the older ones who visit said they rather not go back no matter how bad one thinks it is once you see the light it becomes very clear.

Like I said no matter where you live " grass is never greener "  " let him or country who is without sin cast the first stone "

Don't get me wrong I'm no Trump supporter although I support many of his Adminitration policies, I grew up and work along side of many Trump guys you not need to wear a hat or shout it to make America great it has and will continue to be in its own way. When it comes to Trump I just wish the guy would go away I predicted to many when he got elected this will top any reality show ever!

Regardless of what America has done or not done for some?  For me I ended by saying

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If I had won the last Mega lottery net 700 million USD, I would be returning on a slow boat with the entire Thai family whether they like it or not enjoy my Mai Tai!

Edited by thailand49

1 hour ago, Tug said:

please keep in mind the media tends to sensationalize most things ( ratings I guess) it’s not as crazy here as most believe 

Ya think ...

If I believed the news, I'd never leave my house ... every country.

On 8/14/2022 at 4:12 AM, Jingthing said:

What income do you expect to have in the U.S.?

Let's say 100K a year which sounds like a lot from a Thailand perspective but it would not be good in Manhattan but would be quite good in nice places like Asheville North Carolina. 

But the fishing and golfing is so great in the many retirement communities in Manhattan. <deleted>.

• Confused 2

If you are a  sophisticated  westerner with  money  you have  a different  world view to an impoverished Asian. America offers them financial  security and whatever problems  America  throws up will be easily dealt with by tough, hard working Thais. But if you  are an educated westerner the repellent aspects of America are overwhelming. The combination of naivety,  ignorance and casual entitlement is depressing. The cruelty of the prison  system alone and its uses to oppress  people is disgusting.

If an Issan Thai could make money in Serbia,  France  or Germany  they would  be happy.

It really depends on if you have many friends in the country.  Also how much money you can spend is always an issue (and affects the # of friends and girlfriends ????you can have.)  In general it's going to be cheaper to live in Thailand vs. US by roughly a factor of 3.  IE if a cup of java costs around 2 bucks in bangkok it's going to cost 6 in seattle.

Edited by prchunter
  • Like 1