Why does McDonalds cost so much in Thailand?

dj230

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Ive eaten dog meat in Vietnam, McD's has the same/similar texture and flavour.

You mean it actually has a flavour ?  You must have been served on a good day then when they had a fresh delivery. ????

• Haha 1

Just now, Excel said:

You mean it actually has a flavour ?  You must have been served on a good day then when they had a fresh delivery. ????

Yeah, both Vietnam dog and McD's Thailand taste like wet cardboard with pepper and salt added.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

https://www.mcdonalds.co.th/goodFood

They claim to import their beef from Oz

Yes but it doesn't confirm that is the meat that goes into the beef burgers that they sell to the general public. For all we know they import good beef in from Oz for the Franchise holders use only.

Edited by Excel
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, dj230 said:

McDonalds is kind of expensive here, the cheap sandwiches like a cheeseburger 100 baht, translates to $3USD, even in USA a McDouble is like $1 no? Is it cause the beef?

Not anymore.  Was home last April and saw this on a menu board.  And that was BEFORE all the big price increases that have apparently happened over the summer....

image.jpeg.38f35f0f67b36e7e6bcd704c1b062f5b.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterfranks said:

20 years ago all those companies like McD - BurgerKing - Pizzahut were a fraction of the price you paid in Europe.

It started only about 10 years or so ago that they are more expensive than Europe

i first used McDonald's near Patpong 1998 and I can't recall it being noticeably cheaper than UK, many countries had similar pricing 

It's a fashion thing, for Thais eating at McDonald's is prestigious. It's like people who buy Mercs and Beemers, when a Toyota Lexus or Kia Stinger will do just as good a job. Obeying the laws of supply and demand, and capitalism, IMO McDonald's jacks up its prices to what they think the market will bear.

One of my favorite restaurants in Chiang Rai, the Hungry Nest, slaughters McDonald's for price and food quality, but it's mostly foreigners eating there.

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

My question is. Why in the world do foreigners travel half way around the world and this is the majority both tourists and expats and they are eating at these places. 7-11, McDonald's , Burger Fling, KFC, Subway.

Maybe they like familiar things. And these huge companies are huge companies precisely because they give people what they want. Always a good business model, that.

Those who don't like what they produce go elsewhere (but, often, deride McDs and so on presumably without having eaten there because it's McDs etc and they wouldn't be seen dead inside, but that doesn't stop them commenting on something they haven't tried).

• Like 2

cheeseburger combo at mcdonalds in thailand is 99 baht right now. 

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

My question is. Why in the world do foreigners travel half way around the world and this is the majority both tourists and expats and they are eating at these places.

my wife lived in canada for over 10 years. ate mostly thai food for those 10 years. 

maybe she likes to travel ?