Why does McDonalds cost so much in Thailand?

dj230

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's a fashion thing, for Thais eating at McDonald's is prestigious. It's like people who buy Mercs and Beemers, when a Toyota Lexus or Kia Stinger will do just as good a job. Obeying the laws of supply and demand, and capitalism, IMO McDonald's jacks up its prices to what they think the market will bear.

One of my favorite restaurants in Chiang Rai, the Hungry Nest, slaughters McDonald's for price and food quality, but it's mostly foreigners eating there.

Can I buy a Kia Stinger here ?

McD and other junk food outlets in Thailand have dramatically increased their prices over the last 5 years or so.

And since they re-opened after the pandemic lockdown, the quality is miserable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

My question is. Why in the world do foreigners travel half way around the world and this is the majority both tourists and expats and they are eating at these places. 7-11, McDonald's , Burger Fling, KFC, Subway. I think if I remember correctly this is Thailand. A constant diet Pad Thai does not count as Thai food.

McDonald's for a change, i may have one every 4 months or so, regular eaters are going to be fatties

I haven't had a McPoo meal for decades but I have dropped by occasionally for coffee but not recently.

I hear McFlurrys are pretty good though. 

What are the current flavors in Thailand?

Watching news from Russia they are really missing this stuff.

Their no arches new copy shop lacks Big Tastys which I assume are Big Macs and McFlurrys!

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Can I buy a Kia Stinger here ?

I've never seen one here. I can say from riding in one in Oz they are very impressive in terms of quality and value for money. Turbo is 35% more boost than the Merc counterpart, the car is $20,000 less on the road. I understand they will be phased out by Kia this year.

It's poison.

Look at the obesity in US and UK. Processed food no matter if sold in a restaurant or brought home in plastic bags from supermarket.

Active conspiracies to poison the population. It's not a matter of choice if that's all there is to eat.

Bless Thailand. The animal industry aside take away the palm oil and msg and it's very healthy. Even with it it's healthier than anything in the west.

I always laff people live here, don't like Thai food. Never eat it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, dj230 said:

McDonalds is kind of expensive here, the cheap sandwiches like a cheeseburger 100 baht, translates to $3USD, even in USA a McDouble is like $1 no? Is it cause the beef?

Because people are stupid enough to pay those prices for that <deleted> ?  ????

1 hour ago, grahamuk said:

Because people are stupid enough to pay those prices for that <deleted> ?  ????

It truly is horrible. I remember  the first McScrotum opening in Bangkok about 1990. Truly depressing but to the Thais it was exotic and clean in a western  way. And they liked  the uniforms etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Why is Some Tam, papaya  salad,  so expensive in England. Its over 6 pounds compared  to one pound in Thailand

I have lots of delicious papayas in my garden, so cheers for making me feel fortunate today. ????

Maybe I've tried about 30 hamburgers in LOS.   Only two places on walking street in some strange cities actually seemed to be a good deal.  They have that hamburger stand in Chiang Mai on walking street, but it's not in my top-3 so...................I guess it was forgetful.  

I'm starting to believe Pizza Company makes pizza about 50% like back home, and that's good enough for me.   Never had a steak here like back home.  Hamburger, nope.  hot dog, impossible.   

but i still like eating Thai food most of the time, so no worries.  

KFC is way better than McD's in Thailand, IMO.   Only tried McD's once, horrible.  Burger King I think was actually OK, forget.  

Edited by Iamfalang
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

My question is. Why in the world do foreigners travel half way around the world and this is the majority both tourists and expats and they are eating at these places. 7-11, McDonald's , Burger Fling, KFC, Subway. I think if I remember correctly this is Thailand. A constant diet Pad Thai does not count as Thai food.

Thai food can get boring after a while and not everyone is fond of white rice, fish sauce and chilli, not to mention the focus on offal, MSG and added sugar.  Much better to eat a variety of international food.

• Like 1

Maybe has something to do with the price of everything going up in the US.  E.g. cooking oil is double what it was a year ago.  And then there is everything else. 

Does anyone know if all McD's food is processed in the US, or do they have foreign factories as well?

18 hours ago, peterfranks said:

https://www.mcdonalds.co.th/goodFood

They claim to import their beef from Oz

Yes, and it's quite good. B I also like the McCafe Cappuccino and the sausage egg McMuffin.

But simply my opinion.

I remember at one time the McDonalds in HK was some of the cheapest in the world and awesome locations for some.

18 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Just saying, Japanese is insanely good value here compared to the west or Japan.

But to keep As n topic, there are many many quality local burger outlets. 

Think: The Dukes (Chiang Mai & Phuket) or Daniel Thaiger (BKK) the comparitive cost and burger quality make Mick Dee's look like the global garbagefest it is. 

• Haha 1