Why are avacados cheaper in UK than Thailand?

ESLTeacher1989

In the small towns, you can get like 7 or 8 avocadoes for about 100 baht.  I couldn't eat them all after a few days, threw them away.

maybe petrol, labor, brown envelopes, red envelopes, taxes, perception, whatever...... who knows.  

If I questioned every price I saw, I'd go crazy.   Why is this car 398,988 and not 393,339?  

Oh wait, I am crazy.  

• Like 1

When I read this kind of stuff, it's obvious there are some clueless foreigners in Thailand.

Any day market would have avocados at 40 - 60 baht/kilo. Nobody with any smarts at all would buy their fruit and vegetables at a supermarket here, most of it isn't even ripe anyway, straight out of cold storage.

It's like people who come here and steadfastly refuse to learn any Thai. Then wonder why life is difficult and frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello

Always buy from local market and they are great.. Sometimes they are ripe and ready to eat, sometimes they are unripe and have to wait a few days .. or use the old technic to get them "ripe" within 10 minutes.. (wrap in aluminium paper and put in oven about 100 degrees temperature for 5 to 10 minutes, depending how big and how hard they are.. let them chill, and ready to eat !!)

Have a nice day

Edited by LOG54
error

Makro ones 49 baht are ones getting soft I use to time it the best I can.  From what I see imported but within last year I found some Thai one they are shape more like a small football (U. S.) at local markets selling for 50 baht all cut and sliced ready to eat,  wife just ordered a box  13 kilos online from CM,  400 baht. Taste the same to me?  I've made dip, shake, ice cream I'm sh-tting alvocodo?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not quite, UK for decades has very competitive supermarket prices, now with inflation prices are up same everywhere. Thailand on the other hand not very competitive, probably price fixing going on

Indeed,when you remember that both major supermarkets, Makro and 7-11 owned by the same company- a situation MMC U.K. would forbid- it’s a virtual monopoly.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Makro ones 49 baht are ones getting soft I use to time it the best I can.  From what I see imported but within last year I found some Thai one they are shape more like a small football (U. S.) at local markets selling for 50 baht all cut and sliced ready to eat,  wife just ordered a box  13 kilos online from CM,  400 baht. Taste the same to me?  I've made dip, shake, ice cream I'm sh-tting alvocodo?

You can comfort yourself you are eating something healthy.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Thanks,  personally I love the stuff,  kidney,  Blood sugar, cholesterol? Wife got a small blender makes pure smoothies. Just ordered another box 400 baht.

The unsaturated oils in avocados are heart healthy.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-avocado

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not quite, UK for decades has very competitive supermarket prices (...)

I always wonder why products from the UK are usually quite a bit more expensive in Asia (e.g. in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, China, Hong Kong), compared to imported goods from other European countries, the U.S., or Down Under.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I always wonder why products from the UK are usually quite a bit more expensive in Asia (e.g. in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, China, Hong Kong), compared to imported goods from other European countries, the U.S., or Down Under.

Maybe import tax but more likely profiteering 

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe import tax but more likely profiteering 

Probably the latter, as the import tax shouldn't be too different compared to EU countries. It's weird, if you see, say, some frozen products that cost 2£ in the UK (according to the package), but in Thai supermarkets they are sold for hundreds of baht.

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Probably the latter, as the import tax shouldn't be too different compared to EU countries. It's weird, if you see, say, some frozen products that cost 2£ in the UK (according to the package), but in Thai supermarkets they are sold for hundreds of baht.

Prices in expat shops are higher than Harrods, 80+ baht for baked beans... doesn't bother me as most stuff in those shops are pretty unhealthy so best avoided 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

Don't waste money buying avocados from Lotus, Tops, Big C, Makro, or Yok. They mark up the prices too high. Buy from the talads. There are multitude of varieties in almost all talads. Here are the best varieties I have found, sold in Chiang Mai talads, and some are better than Haas.

Table 1. Fruit Characteristics of Some Avocado Cultivars in Thailand

Buccaneer pear shaped

Booth7 round   Booth8 pear shape Russell #034 long oval

Fuerta    pear     Haas oval    Peterson   round    Ruehle   pear shape.

Personally my favorites are Buccanner and Russell034.

On 8/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, pgrahmm said:

My wife found some long thin avocados locally at the Buffalo market - San PaTong....They were great, tasty & were 60B a kilo....

I was pleasantly surprised given the high expectations & poor results we experienced with some of the Haas avocado look a likes....

I believe the bulk of Haas avocados sold in the grocery stores are imported from Australia. The local talads sell local grown and taste just great.

On 8/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, Lacessit said:

When I read this kind of stuff, it's obvious there are some clueless foreigners in Thailand.

Any day market would have avocados at 40 - 60 baht/kilo. Nobody with any smarts at all would buy their fruit and vegetables at a supermarket here, most of it isn't even ripe anyway, straight out of cold storage.

It's like people who come here and steadfastly refuse to learn any Thai. Then wonder why life is difficult and frustrating.

The only vegetables I buy out of Lotus, Rimping are onions and tomatoes due to their exposure to outside temps shortens their life. The onions in particular, decay from the in side first. You dont know that you've got until you cut them in half. Rimpings tomatoes are the best.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:51 AM, nchuckle said:

Indeed,when you remember that both major supermarkets, Makro and 7-11 owned by the same company- a situation MMC U.K. would forbid- it’s a virtual monopoly.

Indeed, In US friends and family tell me food prices and I just shudder.

8 minutes ago, featography said:

The only vegetables I buy out of Lotus, Rimping are onions and tomatoes due to their exposure to outside temps shortens their life. The onions in particular, decay from the in side first. You dont know that you've got until you cut them in half. Rimpings tomatoes are the best.

Indeed, In US friends and family tell me food prices and I just shudder.

I buy my tomatoes from the day market, always good.

Don't know about the onions, on my banned list.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I like avocados, shame they are something like 90% fat, looked in Ratanakorn market today which is usually cheapest around 80 baht a kilo

Latest admission of guilt in the nutrition sites state that thought to be mistaken. They have the healthy fat and medical sites say go for it. Google it.