If Liz Cheney loses her seat does that disqaulify her from being involved in the J6 Investigations?

Just a curiosity question because I have very simple understanding of the American system.

Not looking for a political firestorm or hate liz cheney thread or anything similar.

Please share an answer specific to my question. Thanks.

25 minutes ago, NancyL said:

If Liz Chaney loses her House seat, she will be able to continue with the J6 investigations until her successor is sworn in, very early in January 2023.

Thanks for the answers, appreciated.

One more question, according to the appropriate laws could she continue* in a 'minor' role?

(*Continue to ask questions as a member of the audience present, or similar.) 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for the answers, appreciated.

One more question, according to the appropriate laws could she continue* in a 'minor' role?

(*Continue to ask questions as a member of the audience present, or similar.) 

No. Only House members on the committee can ask questions of witnesses.

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

No. Only House members on the committee can ask questions of witnesses.

Thanks, however I'm guessing with her quite succesful track record re J6 so far (just my opinion of course) she may well work with the remining comittee behind the scenes in terms of developing strategy, formulation questions subjects etc? 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, however I'm guessing with her quite succesful track record re J6 so far (just my opinion of course) she may well work with the remining comittee behind the scenes in terms of developing strategy, formulation questions subjects etc? 

Well, the odds are that the Republicans will control the House for the next term, so it's unlikely that the committee will still be investigating the events of Jan 6.

As said the Trump Republicans are expected to win the house majority.meaning they will kill the committee as they absurdly present themselves as patriots. So the committee will finish their business before January anyway!

Edited by Jingthing

34 minutes ago, NancyL said:

In theory yes, she could work as a staff member for the J6 committee, but as JT wrote, that committee is working hard to complete its work by the end of the year.  

Besides, she'll need the time to focus on her bid to run for president.

Thanks, I hope she does run and she wins, seems to me that would turn around the current horrid situation created by trump and his goons. But a big call of course.

She has zero chance of being nominated by the Republicans in 2024.

Even if nominated aside from her patriotism opposing Trump's big lie, her record is EXTREMELY right wing on every other issue. Unless the democrats nominated Karl Marx the country just isn't close to that.

She'll follow another path. Cable TV commentator, perhaps she will start an anti-Trumpist, pro traditional republican values foundation.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

She could run as an independent and syphon off enough Republican votes to permit the Democrats to win again, assuming, of course that Trump is the Republican nominee.  Even if he's languishing in a prison someplace, she could prevent DeSantis or some other Trump-clone from winning.  

Then she could go onto a nice career as a cable new commentator.  Or perhaps set up residency in a more moderate Republican state and run for Senate there.

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

She could run as an independent and syphon off enough Republican votes to permit the Democrats to win again, assuming, of course that Trump is the Republican nominee.  Even if he's languishing in a prison someplace, she could prevent DeSantis or some other Trump-clone from winning.  

Then she could go onto a nice career as a cable new commentator.  Or perhaps set up residency in a more moderate Republican state and run for Senate there.

Thing is, Liz was never really from WY, I think she spent a couple of years there in middle school and that was it. She lives in VA and thats her home, never was WY

We live in next door SD and WY is full of nothingness, but the folks, what few there are there are fanatical Trumper's.

If she really had been from WY she might have had a better chance to make her case, but this is a lost battle, move on to the next

• Like 1