Has samed gotten back to normal

kingstonkid

• 2 weeks later...

I was there in mid April and no boats were going direct to hotels.  I booked a speed boat but it only went to the main pier then we needed to take a songtaew.  Not sure if that is still the case but I have to say it felt like a permanent change as they had set up to collect entrance fees on the pier and it was organised and didn't feel at all temporary.  Them not having to staff each beach to meet speedboats is probably much better for them.

We also booked a day long speed boat tour but again had to take it from the main pier.  I think the days of speedboats direct to beaches are gone.

Edited by josephbloggs

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I think the days of speedboats direct to beaches are gone.

I think so too.....  

We used to be able to get a speed boat directly to our designated beach / resort.

Now the hotels only offer a speed-boat to Na Dan Pier (from Ban Pae).

This was set up as a Covid-19 measure, but it appears to be a continued legacy. 

Maybe until Emergency Decree is dropped, who knows, but the main ‘arrival pier’ at Na Dan is a newer permanent fixture through which everyone entering the island is channeled and pays the National Park fees.

The winner in this seems to be the stores that o one went to at the pier and the songtaew drivers who can charge an arm and a leg.

OH well.  

I am surprised that the tours are not running as they were there was a lot of money in that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a shout out to anyone planning trip to Koh Samed.

My partner just returned for week at Samed. All good.

Then just now some friends sent us videos of destruction at white sand beach area.

I have never seen anything like it and have been staying there many years.

The water from hills behind beach have sent deluge washing away sections of beach and dining area on beach. 

Will take bit of time to recover.

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just a shout out to anyone planning trip to Koh Samed.

My partner just returned for week at Samed. All good.

Then just now some friends sent us videos of destruction at white sand beach area.

I have never seen anything like it and have been staying there many years.

The water from hills behind beach have sent deluge washing away sections of beach and dining area on beach. 

Will take bit of time to recover.

thanks