UK Passport renewal and Extension of Stay

I have been waiting 11 weeks for a new UK passport. The money was deducted from my account 10 weeks ago so that's not a problem. Does anyone know how long current UK passport renewals are taking? And if it hasn't arrived in the next 5 weeks what stance are Thai immigration taking for non-immigrant O visa renewal?

On 8/17/2022 at 8:22 PM, Mark79 said:

Excellent, thanks for the replies Dr Jay, answered both my questions!

Good luck with the 1 week fast track in UK they have huge backlogs at moment and are saying to allow for 11 weeks in the UK!  If you hadnt noticed everything is screwed up in UK right now.

2 hours ago, Malaikat Nakal said:

And if it hasn't arrived in the next 5 weeks what stance are Thai immigration taking for non-immigrant O visa renewal?

The Immigration Bureau's stance will remain unchanged regardless - i.e. no new extension of stay beyond the validity period of your current passport. Is it really the case that you only initiated its renewal 16 weeks before your existing permission to stay is due to expire?

2 hours ago, Boyn said:

Good luck with the 1 week fast track in UK they have huge backlogs at moment and are saying to allow for 11 weeks in the UK!  If you hadnt noticed everything is screwed up in UK right now.

It appears from the GOV.UK website that appointments can now, once again, be booked in connection with the 1-week Fast Track Service in the UK:-

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/1-week-fast-track-service

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Yes. In retrospect it seems very stupid, but I wasn't aware that renewals would take this long. My passport is valid till early December, but this is less than 6 months after my visa expiry date. Now that I have applied for a passport, 11 weeks ago I don't think it's possible to switch to a fast approval.

22 hours ago, Malaikat Nakal said:

Yes. In retrospect it seems very stupid, but I wasn't aware that renewals would take this long. My passport is valid till early December, but this is less than 6 months after my visa expiry date. Now that I have applied for a passport, 11 weeks ago I don't think it's possible to switch to a fast approval.

If, by chance, you are married to a Thai national, you may be able to obtain a one-off 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting her - which should, hopefully, give HMPO sufficient time to get your new passport to you via VFS before an extended permission to stay expires.

Edited by OJAS