UK Passport renewal and Extension of Stay

I will soon need to renew my UK passport and hearing it takes up to 11 weeks applying from Thailand at the moment. I travel for work a lot and currently in Europe so considering popping back to the UK and renewing my passport with the 1 week fast track they offer there.

My question is, what will happen to my current 1 year extension of stay based on marriage? I read that when you get a new passport whilst in Thailand you just pop down to immigration and they will transfer your extension across but unable to find any info about renewing the passport outside of Thailand. Will I just get a 30 day visa exempt stamp on arrival in Thailand and then immigration can transfer across my extension and re-entry permit from my old passport? Or will I need to get a new non O visa before I travel back to Thailand and start the extension process all over again?

20 minutes ago, Mark79 said:

I read that when you get a new passport whilst in Thailand you just pop down to immigration and they will transfer your extension across

Correct.

You will do the same when youre back to Thailand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Immigration will still require a letter from uk embassy to transfer the information to new passport.

They will send you one if you request it.

Not any more.

CW Immigration requirements for extension transfer -

Transfer to new passport with old passport.

Prerequisite are:

Up to date address registration.

Required papers:

Completely filled in transfer form.  

Copies from following passport pages:

Name page new passport.

Name page old passport.

Last visa (Non-O, ED, B)

Every extension. (Starting from the visa)

Entry stamp.

TM6 departure card (If available)

If the new passport is issued by the embassy inside Thailand,
Letter from Embassy confirming replacement of old passport with new passport.

The letter is not required if:

The new passport contains the replacement information.

The new passport is issued outside Thailand and is used to enter Thailand and the entry stamp is in the new passport.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

The letter is not required if:

The new passport contains the replacement information.

The new passport is issued outside Thailand and is used to enter Thailand and the entry stamp is in the new passport.

This question specifically relates to not needing a letter from the embassy, whatever that is. So assuming one leaves on the old passport which contains an extension of stay valid say until 3 months time.  Renew passport in the UK and return to Thailand, how will that new passport get the entry stamp as it has been said elsewhere that you will not receive a VE stamp (new passport has not got extension of stay in it)  if you still have a valid extension of stay, in the old passport ( assuming of course you got the re-entry permit). Or will immigration look at the old passport and see you have an extension so automatically put the entry stamp in your new passport ? Seems a bit unclear to me what they will do, perhaps @ubonjoe could clarify this please

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

ok

but if not at CW Immigration.

Do you think it will all be ok at all immigration offices in Thailand. ?

Ps

Or did i miss understand this and it's just all done on entry at the airport ?

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

6 months ago I received a new UK passport having applied in Thailand. CW transferred all relevant details from my old passport with no questions asked, including no request for an embassy letter. This was all done in Thailand so maybe not helpful in your case however, for what it is worth, CW seemed pretty relaxed about this procedure. 

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

What's the point in this embassy letter, is it just to prove the new passport is not a fake bought in Thailand ? i can see no other reason for it.

anyone ?

That's a good point and I wonder what it has to say ? More to the point, does the British Embassy actually issue it anymore as they don't seem to do anything these days ?

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

That's a good point and I wonder what it has to say ? More to the point, does the British Embassy actually issue it anymore as they don't seem to do anything these days ?

yes they do.

As i did all this a few weeks back.

it was given with the new passport when it was collected in BKK.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

What's the point in this embassy letter, is it just to prove the new passport is not a fake bought in Thailand ? i can see no other reason for it.

anyone ?

That is the reason.  As has been mentioned already, if the new passport was issued in the UK it's not "new" when presented at Immigration to transfer Extension stamps, as it will have been stamped upon arrival at the airport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

yes they do.

As i did all this a few weeks back.

it was given with the new passport when it was collected in BKK.

So if you renew your passport here, going through VFS, then you also need the embassy letter so that the extension can be transferred,  But it will not have an entry stamp so what happens when you try to leave or renew your extension ?

but

I you get it renewed in the UK, you will receive an entry stamp on arrival and no letter will be required to transfer the extension   - is that correct ?

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

So if you renew your passport here, going through VFS, then you also need the embassy letter so that the extension can be transferred,  But it will not have an entry stamp so what happens when you try to leave or renew your extension ?

but

I you get it renewed in the UK, you will receive an entry stamp on arrival and no letter will be required to transfer the extension   - is that correct ?

The stamps are transferred into the brand new passport at Immigration.  The Embassy letter is given to you when you collect the new passport from VFS.

• Like 2

I can see point 2 tripping some people up at an immigration office other than CW immigration office. 

For me,  it is either wanted or is not wanted, no in-between.

They love to just make there own rules up at regional offices.

Good luck  to all.

s.JPG

Did my passport renewal a couple of years back. Well I never did it actually. I filled out the required paperwork after downloading it off the net. I then got my missus to go to BKK and do it for me. She also picked it up for me. Not that I forced her to do it. 

I must explain that my missus loves travelling on busses. As soon as it sets off she's asleep. For her it was a pleasure to get my passport.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The stamps are transferred into the brand new passport at Immigration.  The Embassy letter is given to you when you collect the new passport from VFS.

As I already said, I renewed my UK passport here through VFS and no embassy letter required by CW to make transfers. (Sorry, I forgot that VFS supplied embassy letter. My mistake).

Edited by Thingamabob
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Maybole said:

I have made two requests to UK embassy asking for a letter of "authorisation" to transfer stamps. they have not replied to either.

Think they may be too busy going to functions or putting on FB this week important issue regarding sanatory towels , give them time.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Orinoco said:

you  can do this at your leisure. but must be done before next extension.

Preferably should be done by the time of your next 90-day report if that is sooner IMHO. You might well get away with using your previous and now cancelled passport if submitting a report online or by snail mail - but, if you need to report in person for whatever reason, your local office will probably insist on the stamps transfer process taking place at the same time.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Preferably should be done by your next 90-day report if that is sooner IMHO. You might well get away with using your previous and now cancelled passport if submitting a report online or by snail mail - but, if you need to report in person for whatever reason, your local office will probably insist on the stamps transfer process taking place at the same time.

You are  correct

But the extension of stay is still in your old passport 

so maybe not a problem at all.

Who knows, i just went and got the info transferred a few weeks after i got new passport.