Dutch tourist arrested and facing jail time after killing endangered fish on an island excursion

webfact

image.jpeg

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

The latest arrest of a foreign tourist for breaching Thailand’s strict laws on the conservation of natural resources follows a string of incidents since 2017. The 22-year-old Dutchman will be brought before the court in Phuket but is certain to be afterwards deported and blacklisted from the country if convicted of a criminal offence under the 2019 National Parks Act. 

Police officers in Phuket are preparing a case against a Dutch tourist who was arrested by police on Monday afternoon following public outrage over a TikTok video and an order from the Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment to apprehend him after he used a speargun to kill parrot fish off Phi Phi Leh, in a protected natural park near Krabi and Phuket. The 22-year-old man faces up to five years of imprisonment if convicted in court and will almost certainly be ordered deported and blacklisted from the kingdom.

A Dutch tourist in Thailand has found himself at the centre of criminal prosecution while facing up to 5 years in jail after hiring a boat to go fishing off Ko Phi Phi island in Phuket on Tuesday 9th August last. The story erupted several days later when Thailand’s crusading natural resources and environment minister, Mr Varawut Silpa-archa, was alerted to a video posted on the social network site Tik Tok which showed 22-year-old Mr Roslan B. holding aloft 5 exotic looking fish specimens including, according to the minister, two endangered and very rare parrot fish.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/08/17/dutch-tourist-arrested-for-parrot-fish-kill-roslan-bendenia/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-08-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

At that young age and with those big muscles, I'm guessing he's not a pro spearfisherman. Maybe he spent a lot of time doing it, almost as much time as he spent in the gym.

Is spearfishing a sport, or an occupation? If the latter, his physique would be far different.

Anyway, I digress. 

Yes, he's stupid to do it. Yes, the captain is equally culpable, and let's hope he's been nicked, too.

Deport him? Ok, but blacklisting is a bit harsh.

5 years in jail is 5 years more than Boss has or will spend behind bars, so I would say NO!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon it's a bloody good idea that you Never, Ever go to Australia if you think this is out of proportion. 

You will be put in your place quick smart. 

I worked Barrow Island, you must remove lint from your pockets before you can enter. 

Warning to you........ 

Do Not Go to Australia. 

Been to Barrow island.

Got the tee shirt and the lecture. never wish to go or work in OZ ever again. you can keep it all. ( this article is about Thailand ok. )

BTW. only read this in the article. didn't see detained or arrested.

did i miss that ?

boat service, and speargun renter are also under investigation.’

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Probably wont look so steroid enhanced after 5 years, might be a good thing

He may also learn in that next 5 years to show more respect in the attire he wears when talking to Thai officials instead of looking like a tramp with a "couldn't care less" attitude playing on his smart phone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1