Dutch tourist arrested and facing jail time after killing endangered fish on an island excursion

webfact

Thailand continues to create egg on it's face. They just can't seem to help it. Think of how this looks to the world. And they say they are trying to attract tourism? HELLO!

Granted this foreigner was unbelievably dumb to post something like this. It does show the incredible naivety of Gen Z, and their level of hypnotism, regarding social media, and the ensuing desire for media fame at any price. 

But even worse it demonstrates the draconian tendencies of this administration, and the severe degree to which they are arrogant, and tone deaf. Deport the guy. Game over. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

This is very stupid of the Dutchman. He breaks the law and than publish a video on his wrong doing in the public domain. So he basically offers himself into custody as officials cannot ignore the self proclaimed wrongful act. He should have left Thailand first and then only, if must, publish the video.

to many tiktokkers punish themself with guilty pictures/videos

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nightfox said:

Up to 5 year imprisonment...."When a fish has more rights then a human". Can't wait for the international media to pick up this story if he is actually doing jail time.  

And in the mean time, its possible to Kill 19 Human Beings in an Illegal " Bar ", and there is not a single mention of any Jail Time for any of the perps.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ardsong said:

This is very stupid of the Dutchman. He breaks the law and than publish a video on his wrong doing in the public domain. So he basically offers himself into custody as officials cannot ignore the self proclaimed wrongful act. He should have left Thailand first and then only, if must, publish the video.

So you believe he knew of the laws he was breaking and the police were looking for him before he posted his video......

It really is not how social media is used by young folks, it is a look at me NOW thing, surely!

18 minutes ago, ardsong said:

Bye Bye Boomer 6969 , let us know when you will have your "Farewell Thailand" party ????

I hope he's laying on the good beers for us, I can't drink Lee-oh or Chaang ????

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand continues to create egg on it's face. They just can't seem to help it. Think of how this looks to the world. And they say they are trying to attract tourism? HELLO!

Granted this foreigner was unbelievably dumb to post something like this. It does show the incredible naivety of Gen Z, and their level of hypnotism, regarding social media, and the ensuing desire for media fame at any price. 

But even worse it demonstrates the draconian tendencies of this administration, and the severe degree to which they are arrogant, and tone deaf. Deport the guy. Game over. 

quit yer moanin', the record's broken. time to change the music. Thailand is a paradise compared to your basket case of a home country.

you only come a cropper here if you do dumb stuff. like poach from a National Park and put it on InstaTok. what could possibly go wrong? ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon it's a bloody good idea that you Never, Ever go to Australia if you think this is out of proportion. 

I forgot to say.

I was well impressed with the Racial profiling that i witnessed on the way in, every time i was at Perth airport, by customs staff.

Outrageous. :cheesy:

Edited by Orinoco

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Varawut Silpa-archa, was alerted to a video posted on the social network site Tik Tok which showed 22-year-old Mr Roslan B. holding aloft 5 exotic looking fish specimens including, according to the minister, two endangered and very rare parrot fish.

Which can probably be found on ice at most Thai wet markets.  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's on a Thai boat, with a Thai boat captain, in a National Park.

Where did he get the spear-gun from? I doubt he brought it through customs from Holland.

Amazing non-story, served up as xenophobic click-bait to "outraged Thai netizens" (who are meek little rabbits in normal life). ????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Because this is blown out of all proportion.

It's a few fish,  caught in a protected area., big deal.

Thais will be there all day doing this.

If it was a blue whale maybe i would give a toss.

Also it stinks of Thailand's, blame game culture that is on the increase.

Captain should  have been hunted down first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok now.

Got to agree with you. What happened to the captain? He is responsible for everything that happens on his boat?

The young guy made a mistake, gave himself up and apologized.

He killed a few fish and they could give him 5 years? What a complete joke, just shows Thailand for what it is, completely out of touch with reality.

Give him a fine and send him home, but no blacklist, that would be fair!

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, ardsong said:

Totally agree with your sentiment.

The only thing is I don't think he knew he had committed any crime at the time he killed the fish.

Putting on social media was stupid, but he is a young guy?

did a lot of spearfishing in my younger days, never once considered spearing undersize fish or parrot fish because they are garbage fish even though they are plentiful, why spear them when there are so many other better eating fish. Can believe they may be a threatened species in Thailand as thais tend to take everything they can and many dont follow any regulations so taking a protected species wouldnt matter to many but for someone that calls themselves a professional spear fisherman he should be totally ashamed for spearing those fish, too small and not good eating, looks more like he is trying to big note himself and losing misserably. As for doing it in a national park, while he should have checked first the boat captain knows all the parks and regulations and should have made sure everything was done legally but money was obviously more important, hopefully both cop what they deserve.

So what happens when a local Thai goes out in darkness and comes back two hours later with over a 100 sea urchins what the guy did was stupidity deport him and maybe a fine but a prison sentence is over the top especially when Thailand is desperate to encourage tourists to visit 

• Thanks 1

no doubt this guy has done wrong but I do not like the way he is being treated whilst the captain of the boat is barely even mentioned. It is outright xenophobia. Maybe I should post the video I took a couple years back of a boat load of Thai tourists being taken out into a protected marine park, music blaring, everyone jumping into the sea standing on and trampling all over the corals. See if that gets the same kinda reaction!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

no doubt this guy has done wrong but I do not like the way he is being treated whilst the captain of the boat is barely even mentioned. It is outright xenophobia. Maybe I should post the video I took a couple years back of a boat load of Thai tourists being taken out into a protected marine park, music blaring, everyone jumping into the sea standing on and trampling all over the corals. See if that gets the same kinda reaction!

What were you doing there then? 

5 hours ago, smedly said:

how about the boat captain who was in charge of everything going on on his boat, he is 100% responsible for all activities on his boat, he is the guide

Are you sure he is that in relation to the Thai law, or is it your sense of western law that kicks in?

Many illegal charters work from US coastal tourist cities. Tourists are warned to avoid them and what to verify before signing up.  Passengers can be fined for violations but almost always its the boat Captain and owner that take the hit.  We know things work a bit differently here. However, the focus in the US is always on those illegal charters and the laws and fines are most severe (brutal in fact, amounting to millions of baht in most cases) and directed at the boat owner/operator.  They would be the story, not anyone onboard. I'm not giving this guy a pass, he screwed up and was stupid posting about it (which led to all his trouble) and deserves a fine/deportation, but as usual, its the foreigner that is the main story, not that spear guns are available for rent and boats available to take you to a marine park to fish. That is the main problem IF protecting marine wildlife is really what is desired.