Dutch tourist arrested and facing jail time after killing endangered fish on an island excursion

webfact

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

This is not the US, it is Thailand so yarns from other countries are neither here or there. It is about illegal fishing in a Thai national park.

Oh...so you have never compared an experience, law, act, food, attraction, people, event, whatever between one country and another? WOW...you are amazing!  Woo-hoo. 

• Like 1

Just now, Silencer said:

Oh...so you have never compared an experience, law, act, food, attraction, people, event, whatever between one country and another? WOW...you are amazing!  Woo-hoo. 

This thread is not about any type of comparisons. It is about someone killing a protected animal in a Thai national park. Perhaps you should start a separate thread on "Endangered species, their protection and penalties from around the world". if you wish to contribute relevant info on that specific subject matter.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Excel said:

They do make examples sometimes, like the cop who got 25 years for shooting the noodle seller. They are high profile cases. However they are exceptions, in general sadly its as I said before!!

How many times have you seen on this forum, lady-boys assaulting and or stealing from tourists and getting a 500 baht fine?

2 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

They do make examples sometimes, like the cop who got 25 years for shooting the noodle seller. They are high profile cases. However they are exceptions, in general sadly its as I said before!!

How many times have you seen on this forum, lady-boys assaulting and or stealing from tourists and getting a 500 baht fine?

Perhaps you should familiarise yourself with some of the Thai news media, you may be surprised as to how often Thais are caught and punished 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Perhaps you should familiarise yourself with some of the Thai news media, you may be surprised as to how often Thais are caught and punished 

I am not saying that Thais are not caught and punished, they are every day! What I am suggesting is that the punishment a Thai would get and the punishment a non Thai would get for the exact same offense in general are different.

In this case if a Thai was caught killing a few fish, do you think the same news coverage and talk of 5 years imprisonment would occur?

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Got to agree with you. What happened to the captain? He is responsible for everything that happens on his boat?

The young guy made a mistake, gave himself up and apologized.

He killed a few fish and they could give him 5 years? What a complete joke, just shows Thailand for what it is, completely out of touch with reality.

Give him a fine and send him home, but no blacklist, that would be fair!

if Thailand ain't up to your lofty standards then why did you even step foot in the country? you're from the perfect "first world" so you should know better ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, mikeymike100 said:

I am not saying that Thais are not caught and punished, they are every day! What I am suggesting is that the punishment a Thai would get and the punishment a non Thai would get for the exact same offense in general are different.

In this case if a Thai was caught killing a few fish, do you think the same news coverage and talk of 5 years imprisonment would occur?

Yes I do when any report lists the offence that someone is accused of and then go on to explain the penalties that could be imposed for committing such offence. It happens often. Its just that perhaps Thais have not been caught spearing protected species in a national park, as perhaps they have more sense then to put it on tiktok unlike this chappie.

11 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

if Thailand ain't up to your lofty standards then why did you even step foot in the country? you're from the perfect "first world" so you should know better ????

Unfortunately you are making it personal! Just stick to the facts?

Nobody in Thailand knows all the laws, even, especially the  police!

How can anyone expect a tourist who is on vacation to know everything? However the captain of the boat should definitely know and should have explained to the tourist, what he can and cannot do.

The tourist is at fault and should be punished, the captain is also at fault and should be punished.

But 5 years in prison?? That is not reality, even in Thailand!????

Edited by mikeymike100

6 minutes ago, Excel said:

Yes I do when any report lists the offence that someone is accused of and then go on to explain the penalties that could be imposed for committing such offence. It happens often. Its just that perhaps Thais have not been caught spearing protected species in a national park, as perhaps they have more sense then to put it on tiktok unlike this chappie.

I certainly agree this tourist was a complete idiot to put it on social media, that's what caught him?

Just now, mikeymike100 said:

Unfortunately you are making it personal! Just stick to the facts?

Nobody in Thailand knows all the laws, even especially the  police!

How can anyone expect a tourist who is on vacation to know everything? However the captain of the boat should definitely know and should have explained to the tourist, what he can and cannot do.

The tourist is at fault and should be punished, the captain is also at fault and should be punished.

dude, he's 1) a "professional" spearfisher and 2) he's from the West. Westerners are perfect* so how come he doesn't know what's what?

as for making it personal, don't flatter yourself. i try to shout down as many Thai bashers as I can. you live here now, stop whining about the place. it's nowhere near as bad as you Chaang bottle half-empty types make it out to be.

*source: Westerners on here

• Haha 2

...Sad....And Sickening....

...People Hacked To Death Daily Here...

...Or Mowed Down In The Streets....

...Or Burned To Death In Illegal Establishments....

,,,And Yet...They Make Parole....And Pay A Token Fine....Or A Relative Pittance...

...And Yet...This Person....A Paying Tourist....Misled By Those He Put His Money & Trust In....

...Will Be Made An Example Of....(?)

...Sad And Sickening.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The 22-year-old man faces up to five years of imprisonment if convicted in court and will almost certainly be ordered deported and blacklisted from the kingdom.

A so called professional fisherman who didn't ask the first question everyone should ask:

IS IT LEGAL TO FISH HERE AND DO I NEED A SPECIAL LICENCE?

I also ask while the news is all about this guy is the Captain of the boat also arrested?

Thought not.

7 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

These influencers, tik-tockers, 22 year old kids should not be allowed to destroy the beauty and kill the fish of Thailand.

100 days of shame in the media (no defamation laws for him), blacklisted for life, deported of course, and this should send a message.

Or 100-year jail sentence and then negotiate for a prisoner swap.   There might be a Thai held in jail for stealing chocolate  in the Netherlands.  

ser, I think you need to take a couple of Bex and have a good lie down. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

dude, he's 1) a "professional" spearfisher and 2) he's from the West. Westerners are perfect* so how come he doesn't know what's what?

as for making it personal, don't flatter yourself. i try to shout down as many Thai bashers as I can. you live here now, stop whining about the place. it's nowhere near as bad as you Chaang bottle half-empty types make it out to be.

*source: Westerners on here

He was a stupid tourist, who made a mistake, gave Himself up and apologized. He just get fined and sent home.

The captain should also be fined!

You are suggesting I am bashing Thais? Where am i bashing Thais?

Neither am I whining about the place. You seem to be making things up, its like you have an agenda?

Just stick to the facts!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeymike100 said:

He was a stupid tourist, who made a mistake, gave Himself up and apologized. He just get fined and sent home.

The captain should also be fined!

You are suggesting I am bashing Thais? Where am i bashing Thais?

Neither am I whining about the place. You seem to be making things up, its like you have an agenda?

Just stick to the facts!

"5 years? What a complete joke, just shows Thailand for what it is, completely out of touch with reality."

case closed.

58 minutes ago, Excel said:

Here's a recent one for you, from an expat comic where a Thai man faces up to ten years in jail after being arrested for selling coral online, a potential 10 year jail sentence being reported here,

Thai man faces prison for growing & selling corals online | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

Edited by Excel

8 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

You would think that someone who describes himself as a "professional spear fisherman" would have a greater awareness of what species and areas were off-limits, but I agree the boat owner/guide ought to bear some responsibility as well.

My only advice to this guy at this point is to lose the tank top, shorts, and sandals, and to take off his headgear indoors when interacting with the police, the courts, or the media. He may also want to pay more attention to his sitting posture and avoid fiddling with his smart phone in the presence of authorities.

As justifiably proud as he may be of his physique, his wardrobe and posture are conveying a level of machoism that is working against efforts he has made to express contrition about what he has done. Instead his wardrobe and posture are conveying a lack of awareness about the seriousness of the laws he has broken, and is probably helping fuel public perceptions that punishment is warranted.

What you see is what you get.

If it walks like a duck ...

Strikes me as a rather sad character actually.

Edited by BusyB

8 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

You would think that someone who describes himself as a "professional spear fisherman" would have a greater awareness of what species and areas were off-limits, but I agree the boat owner/guide ought to bear some responsibility as well.

My only advice to this guy at this point is to lose the tank top, shorts, and sandals, and to take off his headgear indoors when interacting with the police, the courts, or the media. He may also want to pay more attention to his sitting posture and avoid fiddling with his smart phone in the presence of authorities.

As justifiably proud as he may be of his physique, his wardrobe and posture are conveying a level of machoism that is working against efforts he has made to express contrition about what he has done. Instead his wardrobe and posture are conveying a lack of awareness about the seriousness of the laws he has broken, and is probably helping fuel public perceptions that punishment is warranted.

Well said.

• Like 1

I stil remember the black panter killing, looked it up and there it was.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/thai-court-affirms-tycoons-prison-sentence-poaching-81619900

You can read in article, he killed several animals.

Look at the verdict. Only had to pay 2 million baht.

It doesnt say if he really had and did go to jail.

The jailing of Premchai is a rare case of a rich, influential Thai having to serve time for wrongdoing.

BANGKOK -- Thailand’s Supreme Court on Wednesday affirmed a three-year, two-month prison sentence for a top construction tycoon in connection with a poaching incident in a wildlife sanctuary in which a black panther was shot and cooked over a campfire.

Even 2 additional persons were convicted, DRIVER and fellow hunter.

So maybe stupid Dutch is getting less, or maybe more as he is not a tycoon? Maybe now he learned, dont put your life on internet, it can backfire. 

10 hours ago, smedly said:

how about the boat captain who was in charge of everything going on on his boat, he is 100% responsible for all activities on his boat, he is the guide

From linked article

‘Officers from Phi Phi Police Station are collecting evidence and will prosecute Roslan according to the law. The boat owner, boat service, and speargun renter are also under investigation.’

3 minutes ago, mrfill said:

From linked article

‘Officers from Phi Phi Police Station are collecting evidence and will prosecute Roslan according to the law. The boat owner, boat service, and speargun renter are also under investigation.’

No arrest of boat captain,  so means nothing at all.