Windows update anomaly

bendejo

Running Windows 10 on a laptop, legit installation.

Recently when looking at the Windows Update window I starting getting the message:

Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.

I am not offered any updates or a way of fixing this.

I've looked this up, seems it has been around for a while and most of the wisdom on the net is about getting rid of the annoying message rather seeing it as a warning of something amiss.  First noticed it a few weeks ago, didn't see before the July updates.  Is anyone else getting this?  I'm wondering if this is a way of MS goading users to upgrade to Win 11.

Did you press the Check for Updates button?

You can try the troubleshooter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-troubleshooter-19bc41ca-ad72-ae67-af3c-89ce169755dd

Could be a previous update failed to install properly. Look at your Updates history, maybe uninstall a couple, and then do the Check.

Windows Update isn't perfectly reliable and a source of monthly annoyance, yes. Had a big problem about a year ago--for no reason, of course--and it was a PITA to fix, had to go medieval on it. If it were any computer other than mine, I would have just held my nose and reinstalled. 

Linux users commonly point to smooth Linux updating as one of the reasons they like Linux. Yes, SO much better. 

• Like 1