cutting AAC block with router

gamb00ler

I am considering using fabric art pieces backed with foam to reduce echoes in a room.

The room has rendered 10cm AAC block walls.  The area may be about 2m X 1.5m.

Is it a realistic plan to use a router to create a sunken section of the wall about 2-3 cm deep so the art work will be flush with the wall surface?

I don't think I need great precision in the depth of the section.  A little sanding will hopefully suffice to adjust any shallow spots.

I plan to guide the router with some steel channel sections pressed against the wall.

Many router passes will be required.

Would the alternative method of making intersecting saw cuts and then chiseling out small sections be better/easier?

I think if you suspend the artwork a few cm from the wall, it will trap a little more sound as well. I suspect you will need to cover a large fraction of the wall unless you are just trying to deaden the reflection directly behind a person. 

just curious, why inset into the wall ?

11 minutes ago, degrub said:

I think if you suspend the artwork a few cm from the wall, it will trap a little more sound as well. I suspect you will need to cover a large fraction of the wall unless you are just trying to deaden the reflection directly behind a person. 

just curious, why inset into the wall ?

Just for a unique look.  Thanks for the advice that it may work better hung in the usual fashion.

????

38 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I am considering using fabric art pieces backed with foam to reduce echoes in a room.

The room has rendered 10cm AAC block walls.  The area may be about 2m X 1.5m.

Is it a realistic plan to use a router to create a sunken section of the wall about 2-3 cm deep so the art work will be flush with the wall surface?

I don't think I need great precision in the depth of the section.  A little sanding will hopefully suffice to adjust any shallow spots.

I plan to guide the router with some steel channel sections pressed against the wall.

Many router passes will be required.

Would the alternative method of making intersecting saw cuts and then chiseling out small sections be better/easier?

The use of a router would certainly work for a little time, but few routers are designed for the abrasive effects of concrete dust, so though easy at the beginning it’s not a good idea.

You can use a router bit designed for drills as it will probably do a reasonable job for small areas.01E070F6-DA62-434F-8185-313D18A1114C.thumb.jpeg.3e1569f76b9c08a349e774611e6df805.jpeg

however using a cutting wheel device like a circular saw or an angle grinder with a custom depth guide would be more effective though you could almost certainly just use a lump hammer to knock out the strips you cut as long as you cut them narrow enough.

• Like 1