Electrician career prospects for my Thai nephew

bramers

Hi All,

My Thai nephew is in his final year of high school and is unsure of which career path to take. 

In a previous life back in the UK, I ran a small electrical contracting business. I feel if he became an electrician I may be well placed to help him in the future, but I wouldn’t like to push him into a career with limited prospects.

Does anyone know how much a commercial electrician would make working for a large contractor in Bangkok? And are apprenticeships and trade qualifications a thing in Thailand?

Thanks 

2 hours ago, bramers said:

Does anyone know how much a commercial electrician would make

An a qualified electrician can get into the PEA & EGAT if he can pass the qualifying tests, he will get reasonable to good money though it will take a while. Then once he has experience he can get a job at a large commercial company.

• Like 2

If he can get all the certifications etc. etc. there's plenty of work on the Mega Projects and (hopefully returning soon) O&G. ????  (we insist on certified sparkies on our jobs)

As a jobbing sparks in the village the regular Chang with two screwdrivers, a neon, industrial scissors and a roll of tape will always undercut him on price ???? 

On 8/21/2022 at 6:21 PM, Crossy said:

If he can get all the certifications etc. etc. there's plenty of work on the Mega Projects and (hopefully returning soon) O&G. ????  (we insist on certified sparkies on our jobs)

As a jobbing sparks in the village the regular Chang with two screwdrivers, a neon, industrial scissors and a roll of tape will always undercut him on price ???? 

Thanks. Can I ask what is the certification process here? Traditional 3 year apprenticeship route? or a year in a polytechnic?

On 8/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, Crossy said:

One of those screwdrivers is probably mine!

Last qualified sparky that worked on rectifying some of the original 'electricians' handiwork at our house ended up working on the Burj Al Arab and has never been seen since. Which is a pity for us as he never got to do the total rewiring that our pile needs (his recommendation). Great trade but the good money (and good and safe practices) is probably overseas.

• Like 1