Do you cook your own food in Thailand?

Don Chance

Mostly in home cooking.  We simply do a better job of it.  Taste wise and not guessing about the ingredients.

Will eat some Thai out, things that aren't the easiest to do at home.   With exception of almost weekly Khao Soi run, we eat out about once a week, due to laziness or boredom.

• Like 1

My Thai wife had many food shops before I met her. The first few years her cooking was superb be it Thai or farang food. In recent years she's become totally obsessed with YouTube and she either burns the cooking or the food is sub standard. So being a bachelor until I met her I cook my own and do all the laundry and any one percenters too. PS : she's a 65 yo granny not a youngster. Cheers.

I cook for myself when I am alone, or get takeaway.

My GF cooks for me when I am in the village.

As I am on a low-carb diet, I enjoy thinking up new dishes which are also tasty.

This is a diet soup or puree I make, served hot. Made from sai ua ( Northern Thai sausage ) green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli.

dietsoup.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I like freshly made high quality food. That leaves two options: Going out and eating in a restaurant or eating at home. At home my gf cooks the Thai dishes and I do things like spaghetti with cream sauce.

I order extreme seldom food for delivery because the food is not getting better when it is for some time in a box.

And about going out or eating at home it just depends on my mood what I like to eat and when and maybe if I am too lazy to go out.

23 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I've got an air fryer.  I'm cooking up great pork roasts or juicy chicken.   Great machine.

I have to admit I heard about those things yesterday for the first time.

What motivated you to buy one? Which food do you prepare in that thing and what did you use previously?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I heard about those things yesterday for the first time.

What motivated you to buy one? Which food do you prepare in that thing and what did you use previously?

Thanks!

He did say juicy chicken and pork roasts, what on earth has happened to your attention span?

I bought an air fryer mainly because, unlike a frypan, it cooks the fat out of whatever meat one is using. Healthier.

Cook my own food?  Do you guys really live in Thailand?

My wife intercepts me if I even make a move towards the kitchen ..... she's a better cook, and (allegedly) makes less mess.

If I'm 'home alone' for any time, she fills the fridge with prepared food and leaves instructions.

We also enjoy eating out, but even then she does the ordering, including those extra dishes that arrive part way through the meal,  (Thai women seem to be able to order via telepathy).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoicccc said:

Yes I do, the oil they use to cook in restaurants is really bad for you. I would mostly cook myself no matter where I live.

This is the main reason why I eat 95% of my meals at home. Restaurants are in business to make money (which I understand and accept). So that, combined perhaps with their ignorance about the dangers of the cooking oils they use, results in them using the cheapest/unhealthiest oils possible. I care more about my health than I do about the convenience of eating food cooked by a restaurant. So I usually eat at home.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Cook my own food?  Do you guys really live in Thailand?

My wife intercepts me if I even make a move towards the kitchen ..... she's a better cook, and (allegedly) makes less mess.

If I'm 'home alone' for any time, she fills the fridge with prepared food and leaves instructions.

We also enjoy eating out, but even then she does the ordering, including those extra dishes that arrive part way through the meal,  (Thai women seem to be able to order via telepathy).

Lucky you.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I cook for myself when I am alone, or get takeaway.

My GF cooks for me when I am in the village.

As I am on a low-carb diet, I enjoy thinking up new dishes which are also tasty.

This is a diet soup or puree I make, served hot. Made from sai ua ( Northern Thai sausage ) green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli.

dietsoup.png

It looks both delicious and healthy. Can you provide a detailed recipe - particularly regarding how you get it to be so smooth and thick? (I am also a low-carb eater.) Thanks.

16 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

It looks both delicious and healthy. Can you provide a detailed recipe - particularly regarding how you get it to be so smooth and thick? (I am also a low-carb eater.) Thanks.

PM'ing you once I have retrieved a video I made of the process.

• Thanks 1