e-scooters

doctormann

Not sure if this is the right place for this - I wouldn't want to offend anyone who has a 'proper' motorcycle!

Anyway, the question is, does anyone have experience with e-scooters?  My mobility is getting a bit compromised and I think that an e-scooter might be the solution to just getting around locally - mainly to the local shops and maybe to the pub.  I don't need anything fast or with a long range, just something fairly basic.  I don't have a m/c licence so anything gasoline-powered isn't really an option.  I don't think that a licence is required for an e-scooter of 500W, or less, power.

Any recommendations on make / model?  Is there anywhere in Pattaya that sells these things?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

They aren't legal on public roads, so that you don't have a license isn't your main problem.

I'm rethinking this.  Maybe not such a good idea after all!

I was referring to actual scooters - like the one you maybe had as a child, only bigger with an electric motor - not the PCX / Click full size electric scooter thingies.  Used a lot in Europe for commuting, allegedly, but I haven't seen any in Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 1:26 PM, doctormann said:

My mobility is getting a bit compromised and I think that an e-scooter might be the solution

What will you do is there is suddenly an obstacle? What will you do if you suddenly have to brake?

A sudden halt or impact at 6km/h can be dangerous - at least a lot more dangerous than walking.

And where do you want to use that thing? On the street? Or on the footpath? Personally I think both are bad alternatives, for different reasons.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What will you do is there is suddenly an obstacle? What will you do if you suddenly have to brake?

A sudden halt or impact at 6km/h can be dangerous - at least a lot more dangerous than walking.

And where do you want to use that thing? On the street? Or on the footpath? Personally I think both are bad alternatives, for different reasons.

One OP was considering is not more a hazard to others, or a danger to ride, than a bicycle.  Less so, as has a smaller profile, probably will not be operated as fast.

The one I had was pretty cool, and felt very safe scooting around on it, till it died.  Probably a one or so off, as it was a highly rated one, and not so cheap (20k).  Would do 35-40 kph if wanting, no thanks & 25 was way fast enough.  Knowing the road, I did feel safe at top speed, but if doing consistently, it would be wise to wear a helmet ... again, no thanks.

E-bike is another alternative, though good one is not cheap.  Various styles & sizes.  Someone mentioned shopping with, and could easily attach panier bags of various styles & sizes, if wanting to keep a smaller profile.  Or fit it out for over the road travel & out & abouts ????

Doubles as good exercise if not using 'motor' only mode.  Can pedal or pedal motor assisted.

I actually enjoyed using the e-bike more than E-MB & car, when at the rental, and closer to town.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I take your point.  Walking is probably safer - although didn't stop me from breaking an ankle when the sidewalk collapsed under my feet, back in 2008.

Right now, walking is actually a problem for me if I want to go any distance.  Just no pleasure in it and gets quite painful after a while.  I don't know if an e-scooter is really the answer - just looking at alternatives at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The one I had was pretty cool, and felt very safe scooting around on it, till it died.  Probably a one or so off, as it was a highly rated one, and not so cheap (20k).  Would do 35-40 kph if wanting, no thanks & 25 was way fast enough.  Knowing the road, I did feel safe at top speed, but if doing consistently, it would be wise to wear a helmet ... again, no thanks.

Which make/model was that?

My wife said she wanted one for local trips to 7-11 etc, so I tried a few.

I thought EM Bike looks the most reliable brand.  Made in Thailand, so perhaps less likely to catch fire when charging, unlike the Chinese ones, replaceable battery, with extra batteties available on their website, good LED lights, decent brakes.  Their models with lithium batteries look to be the best for range.

I tried one and it was surprisingly quick off the line, althoigh the top speed is not 'motorbike fast' but quick enougj for local trips.

She saw it as a good alternative to a bicycle, with the advantage that you don't have to pedal so you don't get so hot.  In the end she decided Grab/7-11 delivery was a better option, so we didn't buy one, and at around 30,000 THB it would be a waste if it's not used regularly.

https://www.em-bike.com/

• Like 1

The problem with any of these vehicles is ‘mobility’....

i.e. they have to be mobile enough to carry around everywhere, or immobile (heavy) enough to be parked and not stolen. 

I was looking at something like this (scooter and ebike).. but realise it neither would last very long outside a 7-11 or Tops Supermarket when I nip in to do some shopping... 

Just like a decent mountain bike or road bike....  they can’t be locked up at a BTS station etc...   the risk of theft is too high and thieving these machines is too easy (a handful of friends have had decent mountain bikes stolen from BTS stations). 

Thus: Instead of a good e-bike I have a conventional scooter.... 

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 12.26.02.png

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 12.31.19.png

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

I take your point.  Walking is probably safer - although didn't stop me from breaking an ankle when the sidewalk collapsed under my feet, back in 2008.

Right now, walking is actually a problem for me if I want to go any distance.  Just no pleasure in it and gets quite painful after a while.  I don't know if an e-scooter is really the answer - just looking at alternatives at the moment.

Whatever you do, I suggest really think it trough.

I think rider with a scooter in a small soi might be ok. On a main road sure not.

And on a footpath probably people will complain.

And wherever you want to use it: can you park it?

And scooter (batteries) don't like water. Lithium + water = fire! They are dangerous. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/23/2022 at 10:27 PM, Kinnock said:

She saw it as a good alternative to a bicycle, with the advantage that you don't have to pedal so you don't get so hot.  In the end she decided Grab/7-11 delivery was a better option, so we didn't buy one, and at around 30,000 THB it would be a waste if it's not used regularly.

I saw the EM5 model in Home Pro on sale for 27,000 baht. I think it is perfect for running around the town using back alleys only, provided it does not need a motorcycle driving license or a registration. Does it?

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I saw the EM5 model in Home Pro on sale for 27,000 baht. I think it is perfect for running around the town using back alleys only, provided it does not need a motorcycle driving license or a registration. Does it?

That will be at the discretion of the officer if stopped. Yet to see any of the many, e-bikes/scooter (non MB size / looking) pulled over and being questioned.  Lax enforcement of even the helmet law here/PKK municipality.   YMMV, but I'd be surprised if anyone cited for the EMs.

Although for same baht, you could get a much better spec'd DECO.