Annual Test

KannikaP

I have just encountered one of the biggest jokes in Thailand................the Annual Vehicle Test.

Checked that the VIN number was correct. Tested the brakes on rollers doing about 15 kph. Checked the headlights were dipping correctly, and checked the exhaust gases. That's it.

Never looked at the tyres, lights, winkers, wipers, washers. 

My vehicle passed the test! 

• Like 1

Had my Skoda up for renewal about two months ago, it required all that testing.

Lights (both high and low), blinkers, horn, Taillights, Brake lights as well as tyre thread depth measured, exhaust sniffed and brakes.

Where is your testing station Kannipa ?... much less intrusive than mine (Nong Prue) and might be ideal for me with my other Skoda which is kinda not sorta 100% road legal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

checked the exhaust gases.

16 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

exhaust sniffed

I also get this , so how do the pick ups with the belching black smoke go faster exhausts pass ?

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Had my Skoda up for renewal about two months ago, it required all that testing.

Lights (both high and low), blinkers, horn, Taillights, Brake lights as well as tyre thread depth measured, exhaust sniffed and brakes.

Where is your testing station Kannipa ?... much less intrusive than mine (Nong Prue) and might be ideal for me with my other Skoda which is kinda not sorta 100% road legal.

Plak Ret, just outside Phitsanulok.

If the things you quote were tested, they are only bulbs and safety matters, tyres and brakes.

Unless of course, you want to risk your life or/& that of your family by driving an un-roadworthy vehicle.

• Like 1

I think on my honda civic they just checked the brakes and vin number. Dont recally if they even looked at the headlights. But the car looked in excellent condition, so perhaps they "assume" everything is fine, and don't bother with other things. 

With all the smoky pickups on the road, they dont seem to test those old trucks. Plenty of new smoky ones on the road, but that's the police not doing their jobs as usual. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Plak Ret, just outside Phitsanulok.

If the things you quote were tested, they are only bulbs and safety matters, tyres and brakes.

Unless of course, you want to risk your life or/& that of your family by driving an un-roadworthy vehicle.

Thanks will check it out, it is roadworthy for the safety <deleted>, heavily modified though and that is where it would fail.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Thanks will check it out, it is roadworthy for the safety <deleted>, heavily modified though and that is where it would fail.

There are so many 'modified' vehicles here, that your is probably OK. A few Baht to the tester is all it would take.

When I got my car taxed, I watched several cars being tested. Yes as some have stated the test was rubbish. I did ask one of the testers how many they failed??? We never fail them we just point out the problem to the owners & leave it to them to fix it. I did watch one old Benz go through the rolling road thing the front nearside wheel didn't stop at all when the brake was applied. Did it pass of cause it's a Benz.   

Edited by fredob43