Big soft cushioned walking shoes

rumak

My feet just do not want to wear thin sneakers anymore !   Period.     No advice needed as to "gentle exercise"   as  i basically have no

choice at this age.    Walking,  bicycle,  some swimming ........ all done at very moderate level .   

ANYONE  who knows where to get great walking shoes or even boots ( like the old leather Red Wing hiking boots)  that will cushion

the impact on my feet ,    would love to hear about it.    I do not order from Amazon, etc.      Would have to be able to buy here (in Chiangmai)  and try them on.

Note:  i am not overweight and do not need physical fitness advice,     But if you know where i can get feet transplants then go ahead and get off topic.       GREAT WALKING SHOES

Any good  quality  trainers function as walking shoes. But you can get  a cross these days  between a trainer and a hiking boot. BUT in CM? Nope. So quality  trainer and walk on grass .

But I thought  CM was a trekking centre so there would be plenty of footware shops.

Edited by The Hammer2021

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Hoka shoes.  I just bought a pair at a Rev Runner at Central Festival.  These shoes are primarily for running but i use mine for walking.  Hoka’s are known for extra padding.  Just a caution that Hoka’s are very expensive(5000 Baht is the average price).  

Sounds about right to me.

33 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Hoka shoes.  I just bought a pair at a Rev Runner at Central Festival.  These shoes are primarily for running but i use mine for walking.  Hoka’s are known for extra padding.  Just a caution that Hoka’s are very expensive(5000 Baht is the average price).  

"Just bought".... have you been wearing them for a while now ,  and find they are better than what you had before?

Actually,  had a look at Central last week and was kind of interested in trying on the Hoka.  But every time my mind kept saying      damn, they are expensive !    my main fear being that i will get them and then my feet will not like them  ????

thanks for posting..

Edited by rumak

28 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

A decent medical supply store will be able to sell you insoles to put in shoes. I use then for running. 

i thought of that.... then forgot  55     you put them in your sneakers ?    I might just have a look tomorrow .   thanks

I should add that even the top of my feet feel a little sore nowadays.    I am wearing FILA which are cushioned more than some others i tried on .    But these darn feet are getting pretty tender,  not keeping up with my heart !   

thats why i am even considering a soft work boot like i used to have when i was young .    Once broken in they were very comfortable and supportive

Edited by rumak

1 hour ago, rumak said:

"Just bought".... have you been wearing them for a while now ,  and find they are better than what you had before?

Actually,  had a look at Central last week and was kind of interested in trying on the Hoka.  But every time my mind kept saying      damn, they are expensive !    my main fear being that i will get them and then my feet will not like them  ????

thanks for posting..

There's no price on comfort. Get them half a size  too large and wear  thick socks with then.

Or buy from the Dr Marten range

Drop in a SuperSports store and try out a few brands. Got one on the 2nd floor of Central Festival in Chiang Mai.

I favor New Balance because they tend to be wider in the toebox. A lot of brands too narrow for the Asian market. My first running shoes ever were New Balance, so I regard them with some nostalgia.

I see SS currently has some models on sale in the Fresh Foam line, some of which get good reviews on Amazon:

https://en.supersports.co.th/catalog/?q=new+balance+fresh+foam

Which makes it tempting to check them out, maybe pick up a pair. The bigger sales tend to happen towards the end of the year, however.

Also soft, comfortable, but indestructible long distance trekkers proof against anything Thailand can throw at them on and off road: Merrills:

https://en.supersports.co.th/catalog/?q=merrell+moab

World class, perfect fit, built to last longer than you will. Worth the full retail price, but look for a sale later on. 

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Drop in a SuperSports store and try out a few brands. Got one on the 2nd floor of Central Festival in Chiang Mai.

I favor New Balance because they tend to be wider in the toebox. A lot of brands too narrow for the Asian market. My first running shoes ever were New Balance, so I regard them with some nostalgia.

I see SS currently has some models on sale in the Fresh Foam line, some of which get good reviews on Amazon:

https://en.supersports.co.th/catalog/?q=new+balance+fresh+foam

Which makes it tempting to check them out, maybe pick up a pair. The bigger sales tend to happen towards the end of the year, however.

Also soft, comfortable, but indestructible long distance trekkers proof against anything Thailand can throw at them on and off road: Merrills:

https://en.supersports.co.th/catalog/?q=merrell+moab

World class, perfect fit, built to last longer than you will. Worth the full retail price, but look for a sale later on. 

those merrell hiking boots look interesting for my wants.    its all in how they feel once i try them on ( i have been to Central but did not go into SS  last time ).    I;ll go have a look !     Thanks for posting

• Like 1

Sketchers GoRun Ultra.

I bought them for running, as I get sore feet running on concrete paths in the local park, but I found they were too cushioned for running .... but they make excellent walking shoes.

Supersports sale, 70% off.

20220823_013649.jpg

• Like 1

Depends on your size (up to size 12US is quite easy to find)

Sketchers

ECCO

GEOX

Birkenstock

Clarks

I just bought a pair of ECCO (fit length and wide feet) size 45EU and they are very comfortable for walking.

Edited by userabcd

12 hours ago, rumak said:

those merrell hiking boots look interesting for my wants.    its all in how they feel once i try them on ( i have been to Central but did not go into SS  last time ).    I;ll go have a look !     Thanks for posting

What's your price range? Merrells are very comfortable, i have a pair in the UK but for comfort and value Decathlon wins easy. North Pattaya road

• Like 1

SO........ walking down second floor of Central Festival (CM)   and the NorthFace shop caught my eye.

Was not expecting a lot,  and their in store selection indeed has only a few styles   Tried on a pair and they felt good.    Sounds simple, right ?  But for me that is not the case 99% of the time .  Sneakers just usually do not feel "right"  when i try them on.   Too tight or too loose or too thin or i do not like the soles.   These ones i tried on look like old style sneakers, are a bit heavy,  but feel solid and comfortable.  A pic Men’s Hedgehog FUTURELIGHT™ Shoes

Edited by rumak

continued :   they are definitely not for running (too stiff and heavy) ..... but i am hoping that for walking they will be good support and also wear well (seem like good quality and good thick soles)

Before buying i checked out the Hoka shop (not for me)  .... then went down to SuperSports.  Was running short on time,  and finding a "sales person"  who wanted to help was not to be.  And prices not on many of the sneakers.    They do have many brands,  and a few look promising ( some of the mentioned ones like Sketchers and NewBalance among others.   I only saw a few Merrell, which look good but did not see a large selection .  I will go back and maybe get a "soft, lighter"  pair as a second pair.     But on another day when not rushed.

Bought the North Face     price after discount  4,095 baht .     Hopefully they break in well and soften up a bit ....... should last quite a while

Keep walking guys..........  its good for ya  ????

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

Skechers are incredibly comfortable. Alot of arch support and cushy heel feel. I love that. Crocs offer alot of support, if you can find a pair that are very comfortable. 

I tend to like alot of support and life is too short for shoes that are not a joy to wear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rumak said:

Bought the North Face     price after discount  4,095 baht .     Hopefully they break in well and soften up a bit ....... should last quite a while

Good choice at a good price, I like North Face a lot, too. Trekking-oriented shoes are more protective and durable, but a bit heavier and less flexible. Hoka, they're not. You can put in a softer insole, of course.

Enjoy!

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Skechers are incredibly comfortable.

Sketchers seem a good buy. I use a pair of Sketchers sandals for walking on the beach, and they've been great. Bought them when the malls were suffering under COVID restrictions and really made the day for one salesman in T21 shocked to make an actual sale.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I tend to like alot of support and life is too short for shoes that are not a joy to wear. 

I kept telling my wallet that......... and it finally listened       

i liked the one pair sketchers i tried on......... hopefully there will be a more enthusiastic salesperson around 

when i go back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's your price range? Merrells are very comfortable, i have a pair in the UK but for comfort and value Decathlon wins easy. North Pattaya road

Decathlon for me as well. The shoe's description as sold is 'walking shoe' and I bought my first pair maybe four years ago at Decathlon Pattaya. My work offshore involves walking miles with loads of stair climbing and they are simply awesome. Last summer, I headed off for work in Malaysia and forgot to pack them. Luckily, while serving quarantine (remember that malarkey?!) I discovered lazada traded in Malaysia and Decathlon had a store on lazada and I bought my second, identical pair for a whopping 49 ringgits. I wear them for everyday use and as my 'dress' pair for flying, traveling while the original, only slightly shabby pair also get packed for work. The low, low price is a huge bonus.

Top link for a full description and bottom link for Thailand online.

https://www.decathlon.com/collections/urban-walking/products/mens-fitness-walking-shoes-pw-100?#product-imageGallery

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/p/8486177/walking-shoes/men-s-urban-walking-shoes-pw-100-grey

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Decathlon for me as well. The shoe's description as sold is 'walking shoe' and I bought my first pair maybe four years ago at Decathlon Pattaya. My work offshore involves walking miles with loads of stair climbing and they are simply awesome. Last summer, I headed off for work in Malaysia and forgot to pack them. Luckily, while serving quarantine (remember that malarkey?!) I discovered lazada traded in Malaysia and Decathlon had a store on lazada and I bought my second, identical pair for a whopping 49 ringgits. I wear them for everyday use and as my 'dress' pair for flying, traveling while the original, only slightly shabby pair also get packed for work. The low, low price is a huge bonus.

https://www.decathlon.com/collections/urban-walking/products/mens-fitness-walking-shoes-pw-100?#product-imageGallery

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/p/8486177/walking-shoes/men-s-urban-walking-shoes-pw-100-grey

i buy the Decathlon running shoes, use for golf and walking, very good, comfortable, equivalent Adidas. Under 1,000 baht, but if you're one of those who wants to pay more you can pay 2,000 baht

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yep, have ordered a few different walking shoes from Decathlon. The comfort and durability is great for the price tag.

The "Trail Running" style shoes are worth a look also.